My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J Johnv713 I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty. That is always hard. Everyone here understands that pain. :grouphug2: It is still very possible your kitty may show up. Have you continued the search for him? Cats often go missing but turn up again later.

Banjo is very good at making people laugh and smile. It’s amazing how kitties can forgive having a hard life and turn things around. She is one of the smile experts in this house. Every time she kisses that frog, I smile.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama It is unusual to see woodpeckers on the ground. I happen to have been very interested in the Flickers as a kid because they do much of their feeding on the ground. They love ants! They eat beetles a lot to so they often go pecking around on the ground. They are really fast at flying away so it’s amazing that you got such a good picture of him! Loving that! Part of pecking at things is also to “be heard.” Territory is partly sound with woodpeckers. They will even peck on metal! Ouch! The Flickers do peck if they can find some good stuff to eat. Lol Woodpeckers are pretty neat. Have you ever seen a Pileated woodpecker? They are big and ,to me, almost prehistoric looking when in flight.

Good call Furballsmom Furballsmom and pearl99 pearl99 There are other Flickers but that’s the kind I used to see a lot. I don’t see them as often now. I guess they moved to visit rubysmama. Lol

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Maybe the birds are saying,”Cat!” A bird alarm. And yet Catbirds say ,”Mew!” :dunno: Lol
I often see Jays, Chickadees, Mockingbirds and others join forces here to chase off the hawks! I suppose they know the greatest risk and settle small arguments until the real work is done. “Kiltlers!” Lol I had no idea there is a site for those cuties!

N NY cat man Adolf certainly fit the mustache! Lol That is an adorable kitty! Those whiskers are a bit different than the ones we usually associate with kitty whiskers. :lol:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had vet appointments today! Yikes. It was a very long and very hot day. I couldn’t find any shade either.

I had three appointments and Mitsy was super cooperative at getting in her carrier. Whistle wanted Banjo to come with him but with all that is going on, he had to be brave and go without her this time since she got her shots on the day he got treated for an eye irritation. Kodiak was the least cooperative. Lol She can wiggle like a worm! Every time I put her front end in the carrier, somehow that front whirled around to face me! :lol: Fortunately I hadn’t used the top loading carrier. All the kitties prefer going in from above. She went right in.

I couldn’t get my usual vet visit photos but..... they did allow me in after everyone else was gone. We have more appointments scheduled. The vet no longer carries Advantage! It’s not effective here anymore. I had noticed that too. They gave us Bravecto and I have never used that. is a warning on the label about using it on cats that are heart worm positive but I don’t know if it is safe for previous heart worm cases. I will be making calls tomorrow. I will not use it until I check it out further and then, only when the vet is open, just in case there is an adverse reaction. Does anyone else use Bravecto? I went ahead and got some Capstar to tide us over in case I need to find another source for flea meds. I may be able to order something else.

Waiting for our turn.
162F5EEB-6189-4863-859D-E31200D2D571.jpeg

Banjo! Where are you?
47FDDA4F-A0A1-441F-9F6A-F4481A4510B3.jpeg

Okay. I’ll be brave without Banjo as long as nothing has big ears!
DB09BFAC-FD6F-4D11-A82E-E748912F2F4F.jpeg

I hear my son crying! Just wait until we get home human. I will be pulling your hair as you sleep.
A7DE73EE-2E63-4A99-ACE2-9E2E108A075F.jpeg

I got the carrier with a view!
63335978-E679-416F-8E3B-574686968F2F.jpeg

I think I see a shot coming! Maybe if I make biscuits, they’ll forget to stick me.
3431039D-8085-49A5-B75D-6F8D57306CD6.jpeg

All that cuddling and biscuits and they still stick me. Rats.
498C1379-D752-4CA2-BAAB-1D23C6B34EE4.jpeg

I may be behaving but, have not forgotten human!
65D6D9BD-777A-4180-B284-421D8D09C24E.jpeg

Mom? Lock the top door, okay?
DBEAE579-1D90-427E-BB54-446E38095992.jpeg

It’s really strange to be in a deserted office but I was very relieved that they made allowances for me to be with the kitties. It’s not quite the same when you are taking in kitties that were abused ferals before they found sanctuary. The vets here have been through every step of everything these cats endured and I cannot possibly express my gratitude for their kindness and understanding. It was well worth waiting until the end of the day.
7F45038E-4CE8-4E1C-B5C4-84905F1A569C.jpeg

Have a great night everyone! :heartshape:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is fun to spot the red. Of all the birds, their color is the easiest to see. A scarlet Tanager is another that shows up here. Just during migration though. Beautiful birds. I like the song of the cardinals too. They have a sweet voice. Listening for this may make it easier to know when they are near.

That just got the attention of the kitties!
Thanks Jcatbird Jcatbird ! Lovely to hear them singing/calling. Love the video.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Lol Woodpeckers are pretty neat. Have you ever seen a Pileated woodpecker? They are big and ,to me, almost prehistoric looking when in flight.
I often see Jays, Chickadees, Mockingbirds and others join forces here to chase off the hawks! I suppose they know the greatest risk and settle small arguments until the real work is done. “Kiltlers!” Lol I had no idea there is a site for those cuties!
Pileated is on my "list" to see someday. Red-headed Woodpeckers were one of my gateway birds when I was 6 years old and we lived in Texas. That and mockingbirds. Been a bird lover ever since.
Last summer I was watching chickadee-hummingbird wars in my yard. They were not happy with each other in the territory!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who have not run across this....... some huge laughs, a few head shakes, some interesting tips on noticing that scents can clue you in to health and then, I just have to say, I am not sure about the “smelling feet” at all. I know where they have been! :eek2: :lol:
I believe this thread was referenced here recently. I suggest a h air filter. Confessions of an American Cat Huffer

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's vet day today for all but Miss Eleanor, and I am not looking forward to that. We have to call inside when we arrive for our appointment, and they will only take one at a time. Meanwhile, we have to wait in our vehicle with some very unhappy cats. Oh, joy.
Of pileated woodpeckers, I have seen only one, and only one time at that, and no, I didn't have a camera with me.
When naming our friend's newfound stray, I briefly considered 'Charlie', as in Chaplin, but given his demeanor, Adolf was a better fit. He was a real demon cat, who would rub and purr one second, and try to bite you the next.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama Have you ever seen a Pileated woodpecker? They are big and ,to me, almost prehistoric looking when in flight.
Don't think so. I've seen smaller ones, and slightly larger ones, but none that I would call big, or that look prehistoric.

Jcatbird Jcatbird : glad things went well at the vet yesterday.

N NY cat man : good luck with your appt. today.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird

I dont actively search for him but keep my eyes peeled on my nightly rounds with the colony. He typically out chasing the gals for days but always finds his way home. This time is the longest and im worried sick. Recently, number of strays gone AWOL have increased significantly too :(

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to start coming on earlier! Over 100 alerts when I came on tonight! Yikes! I will look at as many as possible. Some require attention tonight. However, before I go to do that, I have some smiles from a couple of ferals!
BTW rubysmama rubysmama The contest is up! Glaourous cat photos! I’m not sure if I have any of those because I live with a bunch of practical jokers. Lol I have funny grins, “the look”,swooning females and a Casanova but glam shots? Hmmmmm. :lol:
We had comany this morning. Maybe this is who Lady was watching?!?!? Lol

You’re late human!
View attachment 339400
I’ve been waiting for my leftovers for twenty minute! Follow me and please deposit excess cat food in a dish by the trash can.
Lol You would think that being caught in a cat trap would make her Leary of coming so close to me. Perhaps she just rembers that I am the one who got her OUT of the trap.
View attachment 339401

I was having a bit of yogurt when someone jumped into my lap.
View attachment 339390
Hey! Bonnie!
View attachment 339391
So you like that Bonjure?
View attachment 339392
As far as I’m concerned, the rest is all yours!
View attachment 339393
When I returned to the refrigerator, I found another little scavenger on top!
View attachment 339395
Where’s my yogurt?!?!
View attachment 339396
I see you still have some in that container.
View attachment 339397
That spoon is empty!
View attachment 339398
You’re putting mine in a bowl..... right?
View attachment 339399

:flail:With an expression like that! Yes, I guess I am. A small bowl though. Others aren’t far behind.

I just can’t get away with anything around here. Lol
(:lolup: that is not a glamour shot!)

I think I should have bought more yogurt!

Have a great night everyone! :heartshape:
Beautiful Lady

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 I’m glad you enjoyed the Cardinals singing. Me too. Cornell Ornitholoigcal has a great site for birds. They have a feeder camera where you can watch all kinds of woodpeckers, cardinals, Blue Jays, Mouning Doves and loads of other types of birds. I saw a Catbird there the other day. They also have nest cans if you are interested. They have a place where you can report bird sightings too. It helps them to monitor locations and populations. I have Pileated here. They come after the larvae of the Carpenter bees. They are protecting my house! Lol Sort of. They have added to the holes the bees leave. Thank goodness for wood filler!

tabbytom tabbytom That was hilarious! That kitty was trying to tell the human something! I don’t know if his reaction was just from
scent or taste! :flail:
Catnip quick! We need to clear the air for kitty! That cat needs a hepa filter on his nose. 😷 Never huff a human foot!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 I’m glad you enjoyed the Cardinals singing. Me too. Cornell Ornitholoigcal has a great site for birds. They have a feeder camera where you can watch all kinds of woodpeckers, cardinals, Blue Jays, Mouning Doves and loads of other types of birds. I saw a Catbird there the other day. They also have nest cans if you are interested. They have a place where you can report bird sightings too. It helps them to monitor locations and populations. I have Pileated here. They come after the larvae of the Carpenter bees. They are protecting my house! Lol Sort of. They have added to the holes the bees leave. Thank goodness for wood filler!
I get on the Cornell site quite a bit. This week I'm doing an online Zoom class where the leader of a birding group I'm in is doing a "how to use eBird" so I can get more benefit out of it. It's a wonderful site. I did not know about the nest cams! I will look up the feeder cams!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Oh boy! I hope you spot a Pileated one day. You’ll be amazed! They are as big as a hawk! The kitties are always a bit puzzled when they see them. They aren’t scared of them but I think they are wondering ,”What is that creature and why is it hitting it’s head on the tree?” :lol: I can only imagine that the behavior seems very un cat like, un bird like and certainly not like a squirrel to them.

N NY cat man I know what you mean about the long wait in the car. Even though I pointed all the air conditioner vents on the kitties, I was worried. It was really hot and hours of running the van. I’m very glad your kitties are okay and have that behind them now. You too! I got screened for Covid when I drove into the parking lot. A mask was also required. All good. I felt bad for the employees having to run back and forth with everyone who drove up and with so many furry ones. The animals I saw seemed to be taking it all very well. I have another appointment scheduled. This is going to be a very long journey for us. Maybe by the time Miss Eleanor has her check up, things will have improved. I certainly hope so. I am very thankful that these kitties feel safe in their carriers. That helped. Whistle mostly cried a little at first because he wasn’t in the carrier with Banjo. No one cried after that. I did get ,”the look!” Lol

Somewhere I do have photos “old school” of Pileated woodpeckers. They are birds that I often see here.

If the kitty had been named after Chaplin, I would have expected him to waddle as he walked. Lol

I’m glad you only got nailed twice if you had to get nailed at all! Two words.... welding gloves. Of course, the kitties here are more scared of the gloves than they are of the vet. :dunno:

Furballsmom Furballsmom Agreed! Woo boo for well kitties and for them all getting through that vet visit. Humans are tough too!

J Johnv713 Don’t give up! Using a flashlight at night is a good way to spot kitty eyes since they reflect the light extremely well. Try looking up too. Maybe your kitty has taken to trees or rooftops to chase the ladies. I am assuming he is not neutered? If you can find him, that would certainly stop him from roaming so much. It would also reduce the number of kitties born into the hard life of living outside. The feral life is a hard one. If you are feeding in an area where there are large predators, try putting the food up high. If you can, putting up feeding platforms can help. Taking food up as soon as the kitties finish eating helps too. Leftovers attract dogs, raccoons and many other creatures. When caring for colonies here I had to feed very early morning and then at dusk to be sure to avoid other things. Like you, I patrolled the colony at night. That should help. It’s very likely that many who are missing are either chasing mates or maybe have kittens hidden away. We’ll all hope that everyone reappears very soon. Cats are masters at hiding. Sending out hope and purrs to lead them home to you.

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 What you said about “equines that acted like dogs” struck a note with me. My Shady (Shadowfax or Shady Lady) did that too. She followed me everywhere. She loved to be brushed and loved on. Their hooves will be striking out sparks to light our way as we meet them at the rainbow. :hugs:🐴

N NY cat man I has forgotten My Friend Flicka and Fury! I never missed those!

pearl99 pearl99 You’re going to love the feeder cams!

Status
Not open for further replies.