My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am always watching the cats as they interact after a vet visit. Obviously I can’t take everyone at once so someone comes home smelling like the vet office.
What do cats think and communicate to each other?

I have forgiven you human. Now, go to sleep. :insertevillaugh:
F53497BC-F552-48CB-9223-A9A5C10324D9.jpeg

Flowers, I heard Human say that you are next on the list for the vet!
F068FDAF-BF86-4E68-A203-381D7A5D2DD2.jpeg

Maybe I shouldn’t have said that?
65186E96-80BA-4755-8986-640F0B0C80CE.jpeg

Oops. It’s okay Flowers!
846AC07A-835B-43F0-82C8-782B741CEDBB.jpeg

I think I’ll sleep away from the feral girls tonight. You’re on your own human.
54CE6BBB-FDAA-4E49-91E1-745EEAB0B694.jpeg

Feral girls? Are there more feral girls?
01E8DC0A-A6F7-48EA-9538-1E8805D47B7E.jpeg

Banjo, can you get the vet smell off of me?
EF0737BC-3D79-4DB1-9B99-0D3767A518E5.jpeg

Sure mom! No one should have to smell vet.
C682E640-33DE-410F-9555-F0D4AB5B8E2B.jpeg

Lady don’t look at me like that! It’s me, Whistle!
Help Banjo! Wash me too!
BF1BCB78-FFC6-496E-8828-78A8CC6FA134.jpeg

I guess Mitsy is getting a bath from Bonjure too. That must be a powerful smell to the kitties.
35204495-5859-41F1-AC49-1245AD59B2CB.jpeg

I wasn’t bathing her. I read the link to that thread you posted. I decided to try cat huffing!
06D2A7CF-93A1-49B4-A5DF-03DA85F243DE.jpeg

;) :lol: She smells like Banjo breath!

Have a great night everyone! :heartshape:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Oh boy! I hope you spot a Pileated one day. You’ll be amazed! They are as big as a hawk! The kitties are always a bit puzzled when they see them. They aren’t scared of them but I think they are wondering ,”What is that creature and why is it hitting it’s head on the tree?” :lol: I can only imagine that the behavior seems very un cat like, un bird like and certainly not like a squirrel to them.

N NY cat man I know what you mean about the long wait in the car. Even though I pointed all the air conditioner vents on the kitties, I was worried. It was really hot and hours of running the van. I’m very glad your kitties are okay and have that behind them now. You too! I got screened for Covid when I drove into the parking lot. A mask was also required. All good. I felt bad for the employees having to run back and forth with everyone who drove up and with so many furry ones. The animals I saw seemed to be taking it all very well. I have another appointment scheduled. This is going to be a very long journey for us. Maybe by the time Miss Eleanor has her check up, things will have improved. I certainly hope so. I am very thankful that these kitties feel safe in their carriers. That helped. Whistle mostly cried a little at first because he wasn’t in the carrier with Banjo. No one cried after that. I did get ,”the look!” Lol

Somewhere I do have photos “old school” of Pileated woodpeckers. They are birds that I often see here.

If the kitty had been named after Chaplin, I would have expected him to waddle as he walked. Lol

I’m glad you only got nailed twice if you had to get nailed at all! Two words.... welding gloves. Of course, the kitties here are more scared of the gloves than they are of the vet. :dunno:

Furballsmom Furballsmom Agreed! Woo boo for well kitties and for them all getting through that vet visit. Humans are tough too!

@Johnv713 Don’t give up! Using a flashlight at night is a good way to spot kitty eyes since they reflect the light extremely well. Try looking up too. Maybe your kitty has taken to trees or rooftops to chase the ladies. I am assuming he is not neutered? If you can find him, that would certainly stop him from roaming so much. It would also reduce the number of kitties born into the hard life of living outside. The feral life is a hard one. If you are feeding in an area where there are large predators, try putting the food up high. If you can, putting up feeding platforms can help. Taking food up as soon as the kitties finish eating helps too. Leftovers attract dogs, raccoons and many other creatures. When caring for colonies here I had to feed very early morning and then at dusk to be sure to avoid other things. Like you, I patrolled the colony at night. That should help. It’s very likely that many who are missing are either chasing mates or maybe have kittens hidden away. We’ll all hope that everyone reappears very soon. Cats are masters at hiding. Sending out hope and purrs to lead them home to you.

@dustydiamond1 What you said about “equines that acted like dogs” struck a note with me. My Shady (Shadowfax or Shady Lady) did that too. She followed me everywhere. She loved to be brushed and loved on. Their hooves will be striking out sparks to light our way as we meet them at the rainbow. :hugs:🐴

N NY cat man I has forgotten My Friend Flicka and Fury! I never missed those!

pearl99 pearl99 You’re going to love the feeder cams!
I have leather gloves, but with my arthritis, I have a hard time getting a good grasp on the scruff of their necks, and gloves only make it worse.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man I do understand about arthritis. That makes everything more difficult, not to mention, painful. I’m so sorry. I actually find gloves hard to manage during any chore whether my arthritis is active or not. The kitties here are scared of the gloves too. I do take them with me during vet exams but I have not used them. I let the kitties lay on them if they offer. Lol I keep hoping they will become cat scented. When I first started trying to touch BJ, they did protect me. He liked to swat! Fortunately he learned quickly that petting feels great! I wasn’t trying to hold him though. That’s very different.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few “Before, during and after” photos of BJ and learning that petting feels good.
The facial expressions say it all. This is cat speak.

Swat the human is a fun game! Don’t touch!
B3FFA181-D183-4C0D-9E33-846C5BBA4CD1.jpeg

What do you want?
C5CF9596-825A-47E7-BF29-E02039255524.jpeg

Warning human! Can’t you read my expression? Swat coming!
6BBBAD08-070A-4968-B856-12D6506A3996.jpeg

Ohhhhh! Hairbrush might be acceptable! At least it smells like a BJ instead of human hand!
12F9F519-C1E9-4698-8615-9E08BF701914.jpeg

Glove? I think there might be a hand in there somewhere!
AF166C6A-ECC1-4929-9BFB-DA5A53E15053.jpeg

I know that’s a hand but it is scratching an itchy spot so.... I’ll accept it this time.
0C69AF95-A1F2-4344-A755-D0B42842A98B.jpeg

Fast forward to tonight.
Human........
56F8773B-0A61-4A41-BBD5-45F19405A941.jpeg

You have handy claws.
EC651C18-66E2-42D7-A3A4-F66FFD714476.jpeg

Remember what I taught you human?
81CF08B6-E100-4684-A2E2-B44D19D68913.jpeg

That’s good but how about the ear?
D7F0EF55-00F8-4934-B19A-C63C391AAF3A.jpeg

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!
31265C3D-8F79-4C4E-994F-A5A22DAB05D0.jpeg

The whole face purrlease!
1CCA1CE9-1996-4F4E-AC80-E54F3FAF05FE.jpeg

All the way down!
2FA5304E-C899-47E4-B41D-45DF576A3AFE.jpeg

Back up and start again!
B1196B9E-4FD2-4FA4-909D-D5A307B034F4.jpeg

Okay. I admit it. Petting by my human feels so good! Pets and purrs!
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
55D5B48E-7247-4D77-AF32-7B8DA28D89E2.jpeg

Dear sweet BJ. I never get swatted anymore, just rewarded with kitty love and purrs.
I think the purrs help the arthritis in my hand. :) I love the petting too.:petcat:

Have a great night everyone! :heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dear sweet BJ. I never get swatted anymore, just rewarded with kitty love and purrs.
Awww... dear sweet BJ, for sure. I still remember you posting, that night he came inside, that you were afraid he might eat you. Who knew what a sweetie pie was lurking behind all the fear. :catlove:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom :lol: That’s a much better idea than my last one.;)

rubysmama rubysmama Yes! That’s a night I’ll never forget! I had shut myself in with , what I thought, was an enraged feral and was basically posting an SOS. It turned out that I actually shut myself in with a giant snuggle kitty. :flail:Of course I had to be properly trained before BJ let me know that. Thank goodness for TCS though. This is the only place I could have come to for help at a time like that!:help:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long hard day today. Cleaning, flea meds, cages, carriers, cat room and eek, an unexpected problem. The AC hose that is a heat exhaust for my new portable unit for Mackie, came out! I found a gaping hole for escape! Mackie was gone! Horrors! My heart was pounding! I ran out the front door....... to find Mackie enjoying the chair on the front porch. :thud:I asked him to come in and, he did! Thank you Mackie!
Never buy a Toshiba portable AC! A design flaw that isn’t present in my other unit. There is no grid over the hose to prevent things from coming in, or if the hose comes loose, going out. I have now made changes but it will require a bit more securing before I trust it again. The company was no help at all! I could have Froggies coming into the unit! Screws and screen are in place now but.....

New AC guy is coming tomorrow. I haven’t mentioned yet about my Central AC problems returning but that’s a story for another day. Lol It’s always an adventure at Chez Catbird!

It’s already late and I still have to put cat things back after cleaning. Where does the day go?!?!?
2BB5AC0D-ACCA-4B63-A989-4503725D26FF.jpeg

You’re looking at me when you ask that?
0FDD7F41-6A3E-404A-A15F-890D6E0A645F.jpeg

Well..... I didn’t hide it. Ask Banjo.
30926148-D7C6-4403-97D2-2F2AD6BFCD61.jpeg

Don’t look at us! We’re frog sitting.
DD86A357-C4F1-4448-95C2-BE4364776931.jpeg

I don’t know either but after all that excitement, I’m just going to enjoy a quiet sanctuary.
BE58D437-37CC-452D-A699-6E67B3387F67.jpeg

Mackie played a good joke on you Mom! Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!
4008E5EE-BBEB-4654-BD78-A3FBD839AB71.jpeg

Hmmmm. Some of us never get our fur ruffled.
A7F31632-86D8-4155-9B87-4CEC0BFBCC07.jpeg

Sweet dreams and orchids everyone!
593296AB-0283-4BF8-9764-655EB4910D77.jpeg

I love that pose by Lady! I just glanced in and she was sitting there with one paw around her leg. Lol . I guess she was contemplating the day. I hope M maggiedemi sees this!
Have a great night! :heartshape:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, thought I would be a nice person and give one of the kittens to a person who works at Hoods. They are not my cats and I know that some of the employees enjoy them as much as I do- especially the kittens. I mention to the women who work at the check out desk that I had trapped three of the kittens and did any of them want one before I took them over to my vet's. One of the young girls responded that she wanted the pure white kitten. When I explained to her that kitten was actually a flame-point she shook her head and told me that, no, he was indeed a white kitten. Whatever.

Fast forward three weeks:

I managed to trap the little guy and called her to ask if she still wanted him. She was really excited and told me yes and that she would bring a carrier to work the next day. She was absolutely giddy

The next day I bathed him and took him to my vet for a checkup and to run a feline leukemia test. He was given the green light and I took him over to Hoods, proudly. His future mother was to get off of work at 4:30 and it was twenty after four so I just made it under the gun. The young lady followed me out to my car and was still talking about how nobody in her family ever had a pure white kitten before. I told her once again that he was a flame point with blue eyes and she fell quiet. However, she still took him and thanked me.

I went back home and then realized that I had not given her or Hoods my phone number just in case they had questions. When I went back it was almost seven..... and there he was.... in my carrier... in their entrance way... with a sign that read ' free to good home.'

The lesson here: never again.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, thought I would be a nice person and give one of the kittens to a person who works at Hoods. They are not my cats and I know that some of the employees enjoy them as much as I do- especially the kittens. I mention to the women who work at the check out desk that I had trapped three of the kittens and did any of them want one before I took them over to my vet's. One of the young girls responded that she wanted the pure white kitten. When I explained to her that kitten was actually a flame-point she shook her head and told me that, no, he was indeed a white kitten. Whatever.

Fast forward three weeks:

I managed to trap the little guy and called her to ask if she still wanted him. She was really excited and told me yes and that she would bring a carrier to work the next day. She was absolutely giddy

The next day I bathed him and took him to my vet for a checkup and to run a feline leukemia test. He was given the green light and I took him over to Hoods, proudly. His future mother was to get off of work at 4:30 and it was twenty after four so I just made it under the gun. The young lady followed me out to my car and was still talking about how nobody in her family ever had a pure white kitten before. I told her once again that he was a flame point with blue eyes and she fell quiet. However, she still took him and thanked me.

I went back home and then realized that I had not given her or Hoods my phone number just in case they had questions. When I went back it was almost seven..... and there he was.... in my carrier... in their entrance way... with a sign that read ' free to good home.'

The lesson here: never again.
I am so sorry! That is horrible. Apparently she had an idea about things. Getting people to sign an adoption contract helps but nothing is foolproof. We have all run into adoption issues at times. I guess you know the story about Banjo and Whistle getting lost after adoption? You did so much to accomplish all that and I know it was a huge let down. That poor kitty too! I am so very, very sorry. How could anyone NOT love a kitty? And a Flame Point is gorgeous! 😢

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! That is horrible. Apparently she had an idea about things. Getting people to sign an adoption contract helps but nothing is foolproof. We have all run into adoption issues at times. I guess you know the story about Banjo and Whistle getting lost after adoption? You did so much to accomplish all that and I know it was a huge let down. That poor kitty too! I am so very, very sorry. How could anyone NOT love a kitty? And a Flame Point is gorgeous! 😢

I am not a rescue group so I don't deal with contracts. I thought I was doing something nice for someone while helping a kitten in need.

Telling a person they really want the kitten and then trying to pawn if off on what probably would have been a total stranger. Who does that?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I found a gaping hole for escape! Mackie was gone! Horrors! My heart was pounding! I ran out the front door....... to find Mackie enjoying the chair on the front porch. :thud:I asked him to come in and, he did! Thank you Mackie!
Thank goodness Mackie is safe and had not wandered any further :sweat:

Nice orchids!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a rescue group so I don't deal with contracts. I thought I was doing something nice for someone while helping a kitten in need.

Telling a person they really want the kitten and then trying to pawn if off on what probably would have been a total stranger. Who does that?
I am not a rescue group either. I understand. I don’t know what kind of person does that and most here don’t because we would never do that. It’s heart breaking for you and the kitty. We put out huge effort to save a kitty, we put our hearts, out energy, our time and our money, every resource of our lives, because we want to save a precious life and when someone else seems uncaring it is beyond our understanding. I will never understand those who do not fully value life. I only know that my heart would melt at seeing that little one. That person lost a chance at something and they will never get that particular opportunity back. That could have changed their lives. I am so glad you went back! I am also thinking it is probably better that kitty is not stuck with that human. It could have turned out much worse. You saved that kitty twice.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a rescue group either. I understand. I don’t know what kind of person does that and most here don’t because we would never do that. It’s heart breaking for you and the kitty. We put out huge effort to save a kitty, we put our hearts, out energy, our time and our money, every resource of our lives, because we want to save a precious life and when someone else seems uncaring it is beyond our understanding. I will never understand those who do not fully value life. I only know that my heart would melt at seeing that little one. That person lost a chance at something and they will never get that particular opportunity back. That could have changed their lives. I am so glad you went back! I am also thinking it is probably better that kitty is not stuck with that human. It could have turned out much worse. You saved that kitty twice.

Thank you, that makes me feel better.

..."what kind of person does that...."
Who might do that would be a little kid who had not gotten permission from his/her parent to bring a kitten home. Unfortunately this was not a little kid.

Well no one will get that opportunity from me again, from now on all kittens go to my vet and he can do the vetting.

I only have three adult cats left to trap and then I am done with that place.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long hard day today. Cleaning, flea meds, cages, carriers, cat room and eek, an unexpected problem. The AC hose that is a heat exhaust for my new portable unit for Mackie, came out! I found a gaping hole for escape! Mackie was gone! Horrors! My heart was pounding! I ran out the front door....... to find Mackie enjoying the chair on the front porch. :thud:I asked him to come in and, he did! Thank you Mackie!
Never buy a Toshiba portable AC! A design flaw that isn’t present in my other unit. There is no grid over the hose to prevent things from coming in, or if the hose comes loose, going out. I have now made changes but it will require a bit more securing before I trust it again. The company was no help at all! I could have Froggies coming into the unit! Screws and screen are in place now but.....

New AC guy is coming tomorrow. I haven’t mentioned yet about my Central AC problems returning but that’s a story for another day. Lol It’s always an adventure at Chez Catbird!

It’s already late and I still have to put cat things back after cleaning. Where does the day go?!?!?
View attachment 340592
You’re looking at me when you ask that?
View attachment 340593
Well..... I didn’t hide it. Ask Banjo.
View attachment 340594
Don’t look at us! We’re frog sitting.
View attachment 340595
I don’t know either but after all that excitement, I’m just going to enjoy a quiet sanctuary.
View attachment 340596
Mackie played a good joke on you Mom! Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!
View attachment 340597
Hmmmm. Some of us never get our fur ruffled.
View attachment 340598
Sweet dreams and orchids everyone!
View attachment 340599

I love that pose by Lady! I just glanced in and she was sitting there with one paw around her leg. Lol . I guess she was contemplating the day. I hope M maggiedemi sees this!
Have a great night! :heartshape:
No orchids here- they wouldn't survive our winters, so how about a Coreopsis instead? This variety is called 'Daybreak'.
IMG_0012.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.