New member with a very perfect small cat

catinthewindow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I just joined the site after browsing a few days!

A couple weeks ago, I adopted this very excellent small grey thing. My family always had cats when I was growing up, but she's my very first cat as an adult. I've been anticipating adopting a cat for a decade (I didn't want to get a pet until life settled down, plus I've never lived in a pet-friendly apartment before) so it's very exciting to finally have a cat! (Also a bit scary, my brain will be like: "Sometimes you forget to water the plants for a few days, what's to say you won't forget her the same way??")

Her name is Nori, she's 8 months old, and her hobbies include napping on the back of the couch, discovering the Mysteries of the Bathroom Sink, playing with foam earplugs, and tapping my smart speaker with her paw until the volume change boop-bOOP-BOOPing convinces me to get up. She's an indoor cat but she's learning to wear a harness & leash indoors. I'm hoping in the summer we can go sit in the park and enjoy the sun!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catinthewindow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hide the ear plugs. She can swallow them in an instant and that can become a very expensive vet bill if she can't pass them easily.
Thanks for the tip! I've been putting them away after playing to avoid her chewing on them and potentially swallowing pieces, but hadn't thought about her gulping one down whole in the middle of a game.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
3d4a7fca5a901077faa7d23e16e6e300.gif
catinthewindow and Nori, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
cat-and-welcome-sign-wall-decor.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Congratulations on getting a cat! Nori is lovely! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

Since this is your first cat, do read the articles below to get yourself familiar on taking care of a cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip! I've been putting them away after playing to avoid her chewing on them and potentially swallowing pieces, but hadn't thought about her gulping one down whole in the middle of a game.
Anything is possible with cats! 🤦‍♂️ Consider Nora your personal clutter consultant. Watch what kind of trouble she might get into and consider what changes you may need to make to keep her safe. Cats are notoriously curious. And stubborn. Assume that any changes necessary will be needed on your part rather than hers. It's much easier to train the human than the cat. 😹

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new cat parent. :bouquet: Nori is pawsitively adorable. :catlove:

She's an indoor cat but she's learning to wear a harness & leash indoors. I'm hoping in the summer we can go sit in the park and enjoy the sun!
One thing to keep in mind, is that some cats, once they get a taste of going outside on a harness and leash, want to go outside ALL THE TIME.

A couple tips I've read, is

a) don't let the cat walk out the door itself, but have the human carry kitty out, and carry kitty back inside. That way, hopefully, kitty won't try to run out the door whenever it's open.

b) only have harness and leash time, after you do some specific routine. That way kitty associates going outside with that specific activity, and not just any and every time she wants to go outside.

Here's a TCS article on the topic that you might find helpful: Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

catinthewindow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are notoriously curious. And stubborn. Assume that any changes necessary will be needed on your part rather than hers. It's much easier to train the human than the cat. 😹
And she's already getting very good at training me! 😹 I'm trying to be really intentional about not teaching/reinforcing behaviours I don't want to encourage (e.g. I don't give treats and tons of attention the second I come home because I don't want to encourage her to react to noise in the hallway, rush to the door when she hears the key, etc) but of course it's so easy to slip up.

At least she stays off the kitchen counters, though!! (I booby trapped them with loops of painters tape the day I brought her home, when she was exploring for the first time, and she has no idea that's not their natural state.)

b) only have harness and leash time, after you do some specific routine. That way kitty associates going outside with that specific activity, and not just any and every time she wants to go outside.
I love this tip, thank you!! I've spent a fair bit of time reading up on this site and others and came across a lot of good info, including carrying them outside so they're less likely to dart out the door of their own accord. But I haven't come across the idea of associating outside time with a preceding routine/activity. That's such a good idea! Do you have any suggestions of good pre-walk activities or routines?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And she's already getting very good at training me! 😹 I'm trying to be really intentional about not teaching/reinforcing behaviours I don't want to encourage (e.g. I don't give treats and tons of attention the second I come home because I don't want to encourage her to react to noise in the hallway, rush to the door when she hears the key, etc) but of course it's so easy to slip up.

At least she stays off the kitchen counters, though!! (I booby trapped them with loops of painters tape the day I brought her home, when she was exploring for the first time, and she has no idea that's not their natural state.)

I love this tip, thank you!! I've spent a fair bit of time reading up on this site and others and came across a lot of good info, including carrying them outside so they're less likely to dart out the door of their own accord. But I haven't come across the idea of associating outside time with a preceding routine/activity. That's such a good idea! Do you have any suggestions of good pre-walk activities or routines?
I fought with Krista about counters for a dozen years. Then she got pancreatitis and I found it a whole lot easier to medicate and beg/bribe/entice her to eat when she was at my level instead of me at hers. And when she got well again, I let her keep the counters. It was so much easier for me to clean the dishes and the stove top and wipe down the counters than it was to talk her out of being a cat. In her final years, the counter time we shared, through sickness and health, are some of my favorite memories.
9834E531-D20A-41EB-BA6A-51FF86F5DF10.jpeg
What else you got? 🤦🏼‍♂️😹😻
6F1FC935-0261-41D5-B538-D994132BEFDA.jpeg

catinthewindow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations on getting a cat! Nori is lovely! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:
Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:
Thank you! It's been quite interesting to see the difference between having an cat now and growing up with them. I find myself asking questions and learning things that never occurred to my parents (for example, chronic dehydration being common when cats don't ingest a decent amount of moisture through their food).

She is so cute, she has bright green eyes just like my cat! Enjoy the rest of the kitten stage, it sure goes by fast! :)
Thank you, I sure am. It's wild how much she's changed in just a couple weeks!! Behaviour and size -- although the behaviour aspect is probably mostly related to settling in, not being 2 weeks older. When I first got her, she was hyper-affectionate and barely let me out of her sight. Now she realizes she gets to stay here and she can have cuddles any time she likes, so it's okay to go look out the window in the other room.

catinthewindow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I fought with Krista about counters for a dozen years. Then she got pancreatitis and I found it a whole lot easier to medicate and beg/bribe/entice her to eat when she was at my level instead of me at hers. And when she got well again, I let her keep the counters. It was so much easier for me to clean the dishes and the stove top and wipe down the counters than it was to talk her out of being a cat. In her final years, the counter time we shared, through sickness and health, are some of my favorite memories.
Such a good reminder to focus on what's most important! I'm sorry for your loss. I can tell from how you write about her what a close bond you had. And in the pictures you shared I can tell she was a very perfect cat indeed!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you! It's been quite interesting to see the difference between having an cat now and growing up with them. I find myself asking questions and learning things that never occurred to my parents (for example, chronic dehydration being common when cats don't ingest a decent amount of moisture through their food).
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Yes, growing up with cats as a very young person is different because at a young age, we do not look after the cats as the adults took care of it. We just play with them till we are old enough, like your case, many things you did not do as a cat owner you have to do them now :lol:

Best is feed your cat with wet food (canned food) as wet food keeps them hydrated and as well as you may leave a drinking fountain or bowl if they do drink more water throughout the day. Cats have low thirst drives and not all cats will drink from a bowl or fountain but some will bring from dripping taps. But best is wet food for them and wet food is full of nutrients and proteins. Check this out :- tips-to-increase-your-cats-water-intake

Is your kitty spayed? If not, please read these few articles :-

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats

when-to-spay-or-neuter-a-cat

how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-a-cat-fixed

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery

catinthewindow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, growing up with cats as a very young person is different because at a young age, we do not look after the cats as the adults took care of it. We just play with them till we are old enough, like your case, many things you did not do as a cat owner you have to do them now :lol:

Best is feed your cat with wet food (canned food) as wet food keeps them hydrated and as well as you may leave a drinking fountain or bowl if they do drink more water throughout the day. Cats have low thirst drives and not all cats will drink from a bowl or fountain but some will bring from dripping taps. But best is wet food for them and wet food is full of nutrients and proteins. Check this out :- tips-to-increase-your-cats-water-intake

Is your kitty spayed? If not, please read these few articles :-

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats

when-to-spay-or-neuter-a-cat

how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-a-cat-fixed

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery
Exactly! Our cats growing up also went outdoors very freely, so even cleaning the litter box was barely necessary -- they almost never used it. We had a large property in a rural area, so I can see how a tiny indoor litter box would pale in comparison to all the sand and gravel outside!

She's got a water fountain and likes to drink from the tap as well. If I top up her fountain or run the tap at a trickle, it usually prompts her to have a sip, so I do that sometimes after playing. Plus adding some extra water to her wet food as well for a bonus moisture boost.

And yes, she's spayed! The only way kittens will be happening in this house is through divine intervention. 😹

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Exactly! Our cats growing up also went outdoors very freely, so even cleaning the litter box was barely necessary -- they almost never used it. We had a large property in a rural area, so I can see how a tiny indoor litter box would pale in comparison to all the sand and gravel outside!

She's got a water fountain and likes to drink from the tap as well. If I top up her fountain or run the tap at a trickle, it usually prompts her to have a sip, so I do that sometimes after playing. Plus adding some extra water to her wet food as well for a bonus moisture boost.

And yes, she's spayed! The only way kittens will be happening in this house is through divine intervention. 😹
That's great!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But I haven't come across the idea of associating outside time with a preceding routine/activity. That's such a good idea! Do you have any suggestions of good pre-walk activities or routines?
Nothing off the top of my head, and I can't remember what was suggested when I read about it. I think, possibly, something like keeping the leash and harness on a hook, or closet or something, so that the cat would hear it being taken out.

Maybe scan through the threads on harness and leash training. and you might come across it.

Here's a link to the thread a site search on "harness" found:
Search Results for Query: harness

catinthewindow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes to the community!! I feel very comfortable here already. 🤗

Nothing off the top of my head, and I can't remember what was suggested when I read about it. I think, possibly, something like keeping the leash and harness on a hook, or closet or something, so that the cat would hear it being taken out.

Maybe scan through the threads on harness and leash training. and you might come across it.

Here's a link to the thread a site search on "harness" found:
Search Results for Query: harness
Thanks for the link directly to the search results, that's very helpful! 😊

Possibly something like one crunchy treat, or a short grooming session. Consistency is key.
Grooming's a good idea! Thanks!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind, is that some cats, once they get a taste of going outside on a harness and leash, want to go outside ALL THE TIME.
Do you have any suggestions of good pre-walk activities or routines?
I have a little gray baby too. She wears a harness when I take her out on my roof deck. Our routine is that I go upstairs to make coffee in the morning, pour my first cup, and then it's time to go outside. The door to the deck is right next to my desk, so when I pour my coffee and sit down to work instead, she knows she's been deprived of something she is entitled to and starts meowing (pretty much the only time I hear her meow).

Now that the weather has been nicer, I have been taking her out more, on a random basis, often putting her in a tent I bought for this purpose. She does seem to want to go out more and more, so maybe I did create a monster. But as long as she gets her morning constitutional, she seems ok. She does, however, try to dart out the door when I go outside without her. Luckily, she can't get far on my deck. I decided against taking her on walks out the front door so I wouldn't have to worry about future escape attempts.