My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 pearl99 pearl99 Margot Lane Margot Lane tabbytom tabbytom dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 N NY cat man tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 neely neely Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Please forgive me not answering everything tonight. I love the shower curtains, cast iron tubs, ready to build that bus, yes there are more cat Mewseums out there, ready to rich on the Flotilla and the Pawverb is, as always, so very wise and wonderful. Dare to dream and if anything is ever won, it can be used to help take a step forward! I have been on the phone a lot today with family and chasing cat meds. I have a family member passing through the area soon and trying to meet up with them but also trying to check on a cat in another state that has a sick hooman. Crazy day. I want to answer the “Young Cat” that has joined us in the thread with the little time I have tonight. Is that who you mean tabbytom tabbytom ?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
emelyssa emelyssa Yes. Lots of totally feral cats and kittens have been brought in here. Progress time varies greatly but I had enough success to get over a hundred socialized and even adopted out. Every cat is different. I have one here that is still skittish but her best friend cat is a total lap cat now. All of these cats had a very traumatic start though. Considering how bad their lives were, I can tell you that cats are very forgiving towards any human that they trust. Patience is key. They adjust at their own pace and we don’t do well to force. Offer and let the cat learn trust and they will come to you. There are lots of tricks that rescuers use to gain ground but patience, love and caring come across to cats.
I can’t give you an absolute time line since cats fooled me a LOT! Lol My most fierce old Tom cat, I thought he might eat me, was one of the quickest to warm up. He turned out to be a completely amazing cat! Not only did he love fairly quickly but also completely! He became my guardian and guardian to all cats here. I have quite a few here that are here for life because adoptions got harder for me when COVID hit. BJ also became a sort of search and rescue cat. I know now to never, ever second guess what a cat can do. From feral to total lover, he slept on my shoulder every night of his life here.
First sign of progress? For one inside I would say just having them watch you is progress. Eating while you are present shows trust forming. Eating, going to the litter box, sleeping where you can see them, not always hiding are all steps forward. Some steps are small but then some begin to be big. Sometimes you feel there are steps back but keeping a routine going, announcing yourself when you go near, just laying on your back in the room can all help. Soft music calms some. Feliway diffusers work for some. I like to put catnip on my shoes. Some cats would not be able to resist that snd rub on my shoe before they realized it was me. Some cats don’t care about catnip. Main thing…. Never give up! Remain patient and love. It works.
I know this thread is long but if you skim through the first pages you reach where most of the stories of the cats are told. From spotting them the first time to adoptions and finally to getting the last member of the colony inside and socialized, it’s all right here. Lots of stories of each cat and kitten after I began writing here. I think I had already gotten through about 30 before starting here but the cats stories are all here as they got caught, vet checked, tested, treated,spayed/neutered and learned that I could be trusted. I would not change one minute of the time I have spent with them. I am so very grateful that I got the chance to know and love all these kitties! You may get tired or frustrated or feel you are not making the progress you want but patience and just don’t give up. I have, on a couple of occasions, rescued a cat twice. Nothing is impossible.
Below find photos of Brown Thrasher. Thrasher was terribly abused and a long time feral before I got her. She also had something happen after being rescued that put her back into danger for three months. Thanks to BJ and being vey patient, she is back with me and in my lap as I type this to you. I think she would tell you to , please, rescue any kitty you can and give them all the time they need. The love and gratitude cats give is unmatched.Any time you have a question, please ask. I may not be here as much lately but I have a cat with a condition that has not been seen before and I am having to do a lot of research to get her care going. I do check in every day and do read here daily so if something is needed, I will do everything I can to log in and answer. I try to check other threads as I can but can’t always read a lot of them so I might miss something not posted here. The others here have great love for cats and can also answer questions. Oh, BTW, if I make typos, please excuse them. I have some Vision issues and seem to make more than my share of typing mistakes. I blame them on the cats.;)

Meet Thrasher!
13352D24-6F20-4FC6-B8AE-2E64544B3FB5.jpeg

From feral to lap cat!You would never know she had ever been a feral.
14FD956B-0F75-48FA-BD6E-1AD718CBB2AE.jpeg

Purring and she gives great massages.
5C3515F4-1250-4DB3-996C-F1E8199D3B63.jpeg

She loves to walk up and down along my body while pressing against me. I love that more than she does!
C9ABC805-1F2E-4636-B822-EC84984903B3.jpeg

She says to tell you that you haven’t lived until a feral sleeps beside you. ( or on top of you! Lol) and Welcome! You are a kitty hero!
2BDCEBD8-E758-4863-AA41-FA7512FF6512.jpeg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird, have you brought in any total ferals inside your home before taming them? And how long for the kitties to warm up to you? What was the first sign of progress?
Wow another kitty hero! Bless your heart.

I also had ferals before and one good example was my little Bagic. We caught her as she was upon a tree, and immediately put inside my bedroom. She was a scared little one. We could not see her within the first several weeks, but I knew she was eating, drinking and using the litter box. When I was in the room, she'd hide. It took a lot of patience and time for me too. Then one day she went out from her hiding spot while I was in bed, and looked up at me without trying to hide again even when I looked back at her. Days went on and slowly she kept inching to me on the bed, and all those times I kept my voice low as I talked to her, or avoided any sudden movements. One day she just suddenly hopped on my lap, and it was one of the best days of my life. She became the sweetest cat I had known. She was adopted out by a kind family after some time. I miss her to this day.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
emelyssa emelyssa Yes. Lots of totally feral cats and kittens have been brought in here. Progress time varies greatly but I had enough success to get over a hundred socialized and even adopted out. Every cat is different. I have one here that is still skittish but her best friend cat is a total lap cat now. All of these cats had a very traumatic start though. Considering how bad their lives were, I can tell you that cats are very forgiving towards any human that they trust. Patience is key. They adjust at their own pace and we don’t do well to force. Offer and let the cat learn trust and they will come to you. There are lots of tricks that rescuers use to gain ground but patience, love and caring come across to cats.
I can’t give you an absolute time line since cats fooled me a LOT! Lol My most fierce old Tom cat, I thought he might eat me, was one of the quickest to warm up. He turned out to be a completely amazing cat! Not only did he love fairly quickly but also completely! He became my guardian and guardian to all cats here. I have quite a few here that are here for life because adoptions got harder for me when COVID hit. BJ also became a sort of search and rescue cat. I know now to never, ever second guess what a cat can do. From feral to total lover, he slept on my shoulder every night of his life here.
First sign of progress? For one inside I would say just having them watch you is progress. Eating while you are present shows trust forming. Eating, going to the litter box, sleeping where you can see them, not always hiding are all steps forward. Some steps are small but then some begin to be big. Sometimes you feel there are steps back but keeping a routine going, announcing yourself when you go near, just laying on your back in the room can all help. Soft music calms some. Feliway diffusers work for some. I like to put catnip on my shoes. Some cats would not be able to resist that snd rub on my shoe before they realized it was me. Some cats don’t care about catnip. Main thing…. Never give up! Remain patient and love. It works.
I know this thread is long but if you skim through the first pages you reach where most of the stories of the cats are told. From spotting them the first time to adoptions and finally to getting the last member of the colony inside and socialized, it’s all right here. Lots of stories of each cat and kitten after I began writing here. I think I had already gotten through about 30 before starting here but the cats stories are all here as they got caught, vet checked, tested, treated,spayed/neutered and learned that I could be trusted. I would not change one minute of the time I have spent with them. I am so very grateful that I got the chance to know and love all these kitties! You may get tired or frustrated or feel you are not making the progress you want but patience and just don’t give up. I have, on a couple of occasions, rescued a cat twice. Nothing is impossible.
Below find photos of Brown Thrasher. Thrasher was terribly abused and a long time feral before I got her. She also had something happen after being rescued that put her back into danger for three months. Thanks to BJ and being vey patient, she is back with me and in my lap as I type this to you. I think she would tell you to , please, rescue any kitty you can and give them all the time they need. The love and gratitude cats give is unmatched.Any time you have a question, please ask. I may not be here as much lately but I have a cat with a condition that has not been seen before and I am having to do a lot of research to get her care going. I do check in every day and do read here daily so if something is needed, I will do everything I can to log in and answer. I try to check other threads as I can but can’t always read a lot of them so I might miss something not posted here. The others here have great love for cats and can also answer questions. Oh, BTW, if I make typos, please excuse them. I have some Vision issues and seem to make more than my share of typing mistakes. I blame them on the cats.;)

Meet Thrasher!
View attachment 422081
From feral to lap cat!You would never know she had ever been a feral.
View attachment 422082
Purring and she gives great massages.
View attachment 422083
She loves to walk up and down along my body while pressing against me. I love that more than she does!
View attachment 422084
She says to tell you that you haven’t lived until a feral sleeps beside you. ( or on top of you! Lol) and Welcome! You are a kitty hero!
View attachment 422085
Thanks so much for sharing your story and experience!!! You have such a big heart to rescue all these feral babies. Your baby girl looks like my boy Drexl.

With Brax, I am still only on Week 2, so I know I have to be patient. I just wonder if he will always see me as captor. He has his own little blanketed cubby where his bed is located and he spends the day. He does come out to use the litter pan, but never when I'm there. He has started sometimes eating when I'm in the room, which is definitely something. He's not interested in playing yet. I feel so bad for him, and I have to remind myself that if he wasn't in a comfortable bed in my house, be would be outside in 100 degree weather and thunderstorms sleeping in the dirt. I am installing a bird feeder on his window today; hope that helps.

His brother Drexl is still shy about space- he is reluctant to explore the house and prefers his safe room- and he is also shy about the dog. Oh, and he's terrified of blankets of all things! Otherwise, he is a happy, affectionate housecat and took only six hours in my house to be comfortable. One problem with Drexl though is that in just three weeks, he is already fat. No exaggeration!! He does play a lot but I think he needs to run around and move about more- I will keep coaxing him to explore the house with me.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow another kitty hero! Bless your heart.

I also had ferals before and one good example was my little Bagic. We caught her as she was upon a tree, and immediately put inside my bedroom. She was a scared little one. We could not see her within the first several weeks, but I knew she was eating, drinking and using the litter box. When I was in the room, she'd hide. It took a lot of patience and time for me too. Then one day she went out from her hiding spot while I was in bed, and looked up at me without trying to hide again even when I looked back at her. Days went on and slowly she kept inching to me on the bed, and all those times I kept my voice low as I talked to her, or avoided any sudden movements. One day she just suddenly hopped on my lap, and it was one of the best days of my life. She became the sweetest cat I had known. She was adopted out by a kind family after some time. I miss her to this day.
That is such a lovely story.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for sharing your story and experience!!! You have such a big heart to rescue all these feral babies. Your baby girl looks like my boy Drexl.

With Brax, I am still only on Week 2, so I know I have to be patient. I just wonder if he will always see me as captor. He has his own little blanketed cubby where his bed is located and he spends the day. He does come out to use the litter pan, but never when I'm there. He has started sometimes eating when I'm in the room, which is definitely something. He's not interested in playing yet. I feel so bad for him, and I have to remind myself that if he wasn't in a comfortable bed in my house, be would be outside in 100 degree weather and thunderstorms sleeping in the dirt. I am installing a bird feeder on his window today; hope that helps.

His brother Drexl is still shy about space- he is reluctant to explore the house and prefers his safe room- and he is also shy about the dog. Oh, and he's terrified of blankets of all things! Otherwise, he is a happy, affectionate housecat and took only six hours in my house to be comfortable. One problem with Drexl though is that in just three weeks, he is already fat. No exaggeration!! He does play a lot but I think he needs to run around and move about more- I will keep coaxing him to explore the house with me.
My cat Waffles, while I don't think he was totally feral, he seemed to be mostly. As for wondering if he will always see you as his captor, I don't think so. I believe he knows he has all the food and water he needs and a warm and comfy place to sleep. And is figuring you and the house out, observing and being sure about things. Patience is it!
You (people in general) go through so many emotions with this, about if he'll adjust and am I doing things the best for him, and I think you are!!
He may always be shy, and that's okay. I still can't pick Waffles up, and walking up to him to pet him he is still unsure about- it's been 6 years. But he is sooooooo loving, and the looks he gives me are like "you are the best. I love and adore you." A cuddly lap cat that seems so grateful to have a home.
It was 2 months before he hopped on my lap, and then it was only for 2 seconds. And that is about the best feeling in the world.
Have hope! :cloud9:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I want to answer the “Young Cat” that has joined us in the thread with the little time I have tonight. Is that who you mean tabbytom tabbytom tabbytom tabbytom ?
Not this one

I know some have posted to her before but…. Now is the time to encourage. The kitty house is awesome and ready! Effort is being put out by the Ton!
Feral in my garage
Yes, this is the one.

And a thank you to all who have posted there, please continue to encourage her as she is making all kinds of efforts to bring this kitty home. My heart really goes out to her.

Last edited:

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Waffles, while I don't think he was totally feral, he seemed to be mostly. As for wondering if he will always see you as his captor, I don't think so. I believe he knows he has all the food and water he needs and a warm and comfy place to sleep. And is figuring you and the house out, observing and being sure about things. Patience is it!
You (people in general) go through so many emotions with this, about if he'll adjust and am I doing things the best for him, and I think you are!!
He may always be shy, and that's okay. I still can't pick Waffles up, and walking up to him to pet him he is still unsure about- it's been 6 years. But he is sooooooo loving, and the looks he gives me are like "you are the best. I love and adore you." A cuddly lap cat that seems so grateful to have a home.
It was 2 months before he hopped on my lap, and then it was only for 2 seconds. And that is about the best feeling in the world.
Have hope! :cloud9:
I really enjoyed reading this story; thank you!!!! And Waffles is a super cute name for a cat. Brax and Drexl are not my first feral cats, but my last two I tamed outside before I brought them in. That made for a very different experience. You are quite right; this can be very emotional!! Drexl is so easy, but Brax has no interest in socializing with me. He's mostly interested in sleeping, though to be fair, that is also what he was doing most of the times I saw him outside.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Thank you for sharing that story. Sweet little Bagic! I think it helps others if we share stories of how our kitties came to us. Feral or not, they all go through some form of adjustment period. :heartshape:

pearl99 pearl99 Waffles is another good story to tell. All kitties are different and that demonstrates how Waffled reacted but also became such a loving and trusting kitty.

emelyssa emelyssa Brax probably does not see you as captor so much as he is just wary because of ferals having to be so careful of humans and predators. When he fully understands he is in such a wonderfully safe environment, he will be so very grateful. He will have the best rest he has ever had in his life, begin to know he does not have to sleep with one eye open for safety, relax and begin to enjoy life. Try not to feel bad. You just made his life so much better! He will learn that.
Drexl is shy of open space? I usually kept new arrivals in a small spot until they knew every inch of it and felt secure before expanding their world. I kind of wait until they want out if I can. However, this is a lot of progress. Playing is great for a feral! Fat? They were dewormed? If not, they probably need that. It can cause a sort of bloated belly appearance. Of course they may just be doing something else rescued ferals do. They eat a lot because previous meals were not always available so they loaded up while they could. They are both doing very well. You’re doing great with them!

tabbytom tabbytom I realized after asking that you had posted the page number. I hope that we can all help to keep her spirits up until she gets him. Her preparations for him are extensive and he will have a great life there. The fact that she caught him once and released him is slowing it down but she is ready and determined so….. come on kitty! Time to trust. You have a kingdom awaiting you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I realized after asking that you had posted the page number. I hope that we can all help to keep her spirits up until she gets him. Her preparations for him are extensive and he will have a great life there. The fact that she caught him once and released him is slowing it down but she is ready and determined so….. come on kitty! Time to trust. You have a kingdom awaiting you!
Yes, I do hope she gets him fast as this is very taxing for her.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the dentist today , broke a tooth, so I am a little loopy.I came home and got the third degree from the cats. Lol Smile post coming!

You left!
FF111255-7D1B-4BE5-9DF0-F61A2DE81B3A.jpeg

Why didn’t I get to go?
82CD3EA4-05A2-4F21-9FA4-0BAA31E68EC3.jpeg

I am giving you the cold shoulder. Can you tell?
A8EF34B6-AC25-4314-993A-352402228D82.jpeg

Did you get me a bus? At least a chauffeurs cap?
5D68FE20-DA50-40C0-9F0F-2BE9E2AC88C6.jpeg

Hi!!!!! I’m glad you home!
7D934577-881F-42D6-A988-799E61B739B0.jpeg

Awww. You went to the dentist? Come here and let Mitsy give you a hug.
F668F35A-00C1-4B8D-918B-53100BBA085D.jpeg

I wonder if there is a new key on her key ring!
6EE32C3F-D999-46E5-918D-071B7503E774.jpeg

I found a map app on your phone!!
7FB27D3B-81F8-4453-A852-1EE45DBAE1D0.jpeg

What’s up with your mouth? Looks funny!
89C0B29B-F5DA-44D6-88F3-C9EA8B4E5820.jpeg

You smell like medicine.
3E127262-A125-4A5C-9EAE-D836D8FB588A.jpeg

I love you anyway but I’ll hug you after the doctor smell is gone.
F5EDFE4E-1731-4942-8CFF-04590E5DC041.jpeg

I sat here all day worrying about you.
F65D40AE-05D4-4809-A870-3B3989F3F393.jpeg

I tried to come find you.
C083180E-DB39-4217-A8D2-9F6EC5C62C48.jpeg

I think I could get the window open if I can get past this piece of wood!
67CB76AE-4552-4220-B19E-E49D01B2F301.jpeg

Has anyone hit a screw driver?
37AE5D59-904D-496B-9630-0B6B8944F41B.jpeg

Your joke so I should stop? But I hear birds on the other side!
65BFB94D-AD01-4696-B65D-3F80356EE516.jpeg

They did something to your mouth. Did they change you ears?
AF9A269A-9D71-47C0-82EC-1C07CEB70F9C.jpeg

No worries. I baby sat the doll for you!
EFDC4F08-8E91-469F-AAF2-64B8FF6140F5.jpeg

I get worried when you leave. You should take us with you everywhere!
7A9DD87B-1C72-4F11-A153-BB4B793751B0.jpeg

You’re back?
192894F9-6C33-45C5-9FB7-BBBB0F6E93F5.jpeg

Let me inspect you.
CAEE6518-558D-47AF-93D8-D311782E0CBF.jpeg

I taste chicken. The doctor had chicken for you?
F0AF186C-1716-4DE2-9DC5-67504525793C.jpeg

Hey Pawpurr. We’re you worried too?
EFF19DF1-E44C-4B7D-A3C3-5F5E7C753928.jpeg

Nah. You always come back.
027BC16D-1F4E-4AAF-89C4-7696803DCF3D.jpeg

Sooooo, was it fun?
0C9F75EB-68A5-4B7C-B043-D2FE672C163C.jpeg

You brought us treats….. right? My tongue says yes!
D2E3AEF2-5401-4034-B2C5-7CD30346394A.jpeg

Lady’s tongue was correct! Treats time.,

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went to the dentist today , broke a tooth, so I am a little loopy.
Oh, no. As tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 posted, hope your tooth was saveable.

I came home and got the third degree from the cats. Lol Smile post coming!
Nothing like being gone all day and getting the 3rd degree from cats. For me, I'm not gone far, but I'm spending way more time outside gardening these days, so Ruby has a few words for me when I finally come inside.

Speaking of gardening, though they don't need any help from me, here's a few lilacs. It's not a good year for them, and the flowers are all up high, so not the best shot. But pretty, nonetheless. And though their numbers are few, their aroma is still pretty strong.

IMG_4755.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nothing like being gone all day and getting the 3rd degree from cats. For me, I'm not gone far, but I'm spending way more time outside gardening these days, so Ruby has a few words for me when I finally come inside.

Speaking of gardening, though they don't need any help from me, here's a few lilacs. It's not a good year for them, and the flowers are all up high, so not the best shot. But pretty, nonetheless. And though their numbers are few, their aroma is still pretty strong.

View attachment 422241
The lilacs are so beautiful, rubysmama rubysmama ! I miss mine so much. Thanks for sharing them.
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG

Our lilacs and roses grown on our land in the Mojave; during that time, also, beloved angels Calo, Rani, Nikki T., Samuda, and Tarifa :goldstar:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 422241
I would love to grow lilacs, or maybe a snowball bush, but there is quite literally no room for either, more's the pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.