My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone ready for a good laugh? I started on the bathroom remodel today, removing the sink and vanity. I discovered that the water shutoff valves didn't, but no problem- just replace them. Then, because someone had used texture on the lower walls, Michele wanted it gone- said it was too hard to keep clean. Again, no problem- just cut the drywall where the chair rail was, and replace it. Then, a problem:
20220603_203827.jpg

A normal ground fault outlet, no? Actually, no, because it was attached to this:
IMG_2053.JPG

Yes, that's circa 1903 knob and tube wiring- which has no ground wire. I can fix it, but it's just another pain in the butt.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone ready for a good laugh? I started on the bathroom remodel today, removing the sink and vanity. I discovered that the water shutoff valves didn't, but no problem- just replace them. Then, because someone had used texture on the lower walls, Michele wanted it gone- said it was too hard to keep clean. Again, no problem- just cut the drywall where the chair rail was, and replace it. Then, a problem:View attachment 422259
A normal ground fault outlet, no? Actually, no, because it was attached to this:View attachment 422260
Yes, that's circa 1903 knob and tube wiring- which has no ground wire. I can fix it, but it's just another pain in the butt.
1903? How old is your home?? All the rest looks fairly modern, so how the heck did it pass inspection, or what the heck is it doing there??? think I read somewhere you need at least 7 years apprenticing before you can be a certified electrician in NYC, and am not surprised….so much old wiring lurking around that can shock the socks off you! …any horsehair plaster behind there?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1903? How old is your home?? All the rest looks fairly modern, so how the heck did it pass inspection, or what the heck is it doing there??? think I read somewhere you need at least 7 years apprenticing before you can be a certified electrician in NYC, and am not surprised….so much old wiring lurking around that can shock the socks off you! …any horsehair plaster behind there?
Our house was built in 1903. Apparently, at some time in the past, a wall was moved to enlarge the bathroom, but the wiring wasn't updated, and drywall covers a multitude of sins.
Oh, and yes, there is horsehair plaster in the walls, and a rubble foundation, to boot.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Our house was built in 1903. Apparently, at some time in the past, a wall was moved to enlarge the bathroom, but the wiring wasn't updated, and drywall covers a multitude of sins.
Oh, and yes, there is horsehair plaster in the walls, and a rubble foundation, to boot.
O man. that would make me wanna root around outside, if possible. Old bottles, treasure. Hidden letters in the attic. I was lucky enough to help plaster Emily Dickinson’s house once (mixing plaster in a shed while it was snowing). SO many goodies there…..they are collecting all the seeds hidden in the dirt outside from her own garden, to re grow it…well, I digress. I believe in you, NY cat man! But leave a little treat in the walls for the next generation to find! :)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O man. that would make me wanna root around outside, if possible. Old bottles, treasure. Hidden letters in the attic. I was lucky enough to help plaster Emily Dickinson’s house once (mixing plaster in a shed while it was snowing). SO many goodies there…..they are collecting all the seeds hidden in the dirt outside from her own garden, to re grow it…well, I digress. I believe in you, NY cat man! But leave a little treat in the walls for the next generation to find! :)
Well, in enlarging one of the flower beds, I did unearth a 1937 Mercury dime, but that's it for 'treasure'. I also have found a couple of old spoons, but they were silverplate, with most of the plate gone. As for attic or basement; sorry, but those cupboards were bare.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The lilacs are so beautiful, rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama ! I miss mine so much. Thanks for sharing them.
Our lilacs and roses grown on our land in the Mojave; during that time, also, beloved angels Calo, Rani, Nikki T., Samuda, and Tarifa :goldstar:
Sorry you can't grow lilacs anymore, but happy I was able to post pics of mine for you to enjoy. Beautiful kitties, btw, but of course you already knew that. :catlove:

I would love to grow lilacs, or maybe a snowball bush, but there is quite literally no room for either, more's the pity.
Is there room to grow one of them shaped like a tree?

1654341876810.png

And likely some asbestos too. :nervous:

Happy Saturday! Have a great weekend, everyone!
1654342018261.png

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you can't grow lilacs anymore, but happy I was able to post pics of mine for you to enjoy. Beautiful kitties, btw, but of course you already knew that. :catlove:

Is there room to grow one of them shaped like a tree?

View attachment 422285

And likely some asbestos too. :nervous:

Happy Saturday! Have a great weekend, everyone!
View attachment 422286
Actually, I did find asbestos around the heating ducts, but since it was impossible to remove it all without dismantling much of the house, I encapsulated as much of it as I could with mastic over heavy-duty foil tape- the real duct tape. Where it is inside the walls, it will stay, as long as it's not exposed.
The lilacs would be possible, if I didn't already have the planting beds in place. Now, they would encroach on the neighbor's property too much. I can still admire those that other people have, though.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, I did find asbestos around the heating ducts, but since it was impossible to remove it all without dismantling much of the house, I encapsulated as much of it as I could with mastic over heavy-duty foil tape- the real duct tape. Where it is inside the walls, it will stay, as long as it's not exposed.
Asbestos is definitely best left alone. I suspect I have it in my vinyl flooring, which I want replaced, but the asbestos worry keeps me from looking into getting it done.

The lilacs would be possible, if I didn't already have the planting beds in place. Now, they would encroach on the neighbor's property too much.
The ones in my yard were planted way too close to the property line, so they have spread into the neighbour's side. But it gives privacy, so isn't a bad thing.

I can still admire those that other people have, though.
And not hard to find them, just follow your nose. :lol:

Jcatbird Jcatbird : hope all is going ok at Chez Catbird. Hugs to you and the clowder. :grouphug2:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Please forgive me not answering everything tonight.
No need to apologize and please don't give it a second thought. :hugs: You are one of the busiest people I know, if not the busiest.
I hope the dentist was able to resolve your broken tooth problem and you won't have to go back. Lord knows how much the mere mention of the word "dentist" gives me the shivers. 😨 Maybe these pics of the swans including their babies will cheer you up. I was visiting a friend of mine who lives in a complex with a manmade lake and it's nesting time there.

IMG_1541.jpeg IMG_1544.jpeg IMG_1547.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asbestos is definitely best left alone. I suspect I have it in my vinyl flooring, which I want replaced, but the asbestos worry keeps me from looking into getting it done.

The ones in my yard were planted way too close to the property line, so they have spread into the neighbour's side. But it gives privacy, so isn't a bad thing.

And not hard to find them, just follow your nose. :lol:

Jcatbird Jcatbird : hope all is going ok at Chez Catbird. Hugs to you and the clowder. :grouphug2:
Unless you have the old rigid linoleum tiles- those 9 or 12 inch glued-down squares- it's unlikely that you have asbestos. I don't know what the laws in Canada are, but here, if I do my own work, the old debris can go to a landfill. If I hire a contractor, however, a certified asbestos abatement company has to come in to get rid of it- but it still goes to the same landfill, only it costs you thousands of dollars more- and I can buy a lot of Tyvek coveralls and filter masks for that money.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neighbors Rose's
View attachment 422343And Peonys, or as my gramma called them 'piney bushes'. Ants just adore them.
View attachment 422342
Happy tails
View attachment 422346View attachment 422347View attachment 422348
What beautiful vivid red roses! And gorgeous pale pink peonies. I've always loved peonies but never had any. Sunflowers also attract ants. I planted some of those outside one place I rented and had a terrible time with the ants!
Of course, the most beautiful flower in the garden is the wide-eyed Gypsy. She's looking very bright-eyed and bushy-tailed today! *Well, okay, yesterday. But who's counting?*

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom January! :cloud9: I love seeing you in your teepee! Such a wonderful house! You always have the cutest expressions!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 My tooth is saved for now. We don’t know if it is a permanent fix though. I got very lucky and called a dentist nearer to me. The lady on the phone happened to now who I am and got me in for X-rays. She told me there would not be time to fix the tooth though. However, the doc was great and did get me patched up to try and get through what I need to do for Banjo! They also know the oral surgeon I used to use so they will be contacting him for information about the reconstruction surgery I had after a jaw injury 17 years ago. His partner is now in the building with my new dentist! Small world after all! :yess: :bunnydance:Beautiful flowers, lilacs and feline types. There’s my favorite blue vase too!

rubysmama rubysmama The lilacs are beautiful! I have never had those. Smell wonderful?
The kitties did worry about me being gone and then returning smelling like medicine (I could use some lilacs about now. Lol) but they all relaxed after Whistle told them all was well because my ears are still little. Hopefully Ruby will realize that as long as your ears are still little, a bit of gardening is okay. ;)
I loved the weekend kitty! Lolololololol
Lilac tree, good idea!
Feeling the hugs! Hugs returned!

N NY cat man If only we could grow ALL the flowers! Me too.
Oh! That wiring! Okay. Opening an old wall is like opening a can of worms! Old wiring and old plumbing.:doh: You have my greatest sympathy! Better to find this than something more shocking? Perhaps this actually saves tougher stuff later. I’m glad you found it now.

Treasure! A Mercury Dime! I love those! Lol As a kid I always saved those because I thought the design was beautiful. That would make me smile.;) Much better than old wires.

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose Those are such cute kitties! It made me smile. faces! Lol
The tooth won’t be like new but no pain suits me! We’ll be working on it. They have a great dental program there so that helps.

Margot Lane Margot Lane Emily Dickinsons house? Looking for seeds? Cool! Please do digress! I love old garden leftovers. I have often salvaged plants from old homesites. Very interesting!

I also think it is very nice to leave something for others to find. Not bad wiring but something fun! Lol I have left some things inside walls in the hope that someday, it will be a good surprise. Time capsules.

strider rose strider rose Bonjour likes it! He says that around here, every day is Caturday. :lol:

neely neely Awwwwww! First, I won’t mention the D word but I will be going back. Lol Hopefully after things calm down a little. Very glad you understand I am really on the run lately. Too much to even type it all.
I adore the swans! I have never seen baby ones in real life but I have seen a few adults and they are such beautiful birds. Those babies are so cute! Uh oh! Now Banjo wants to go
Look for Swans. Lol I’m not sure they would welcome her as much as Froggie does. :bicolorcat:🦢
Run Banjo!!!!!!

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Ummm…. I am a punctual person so I laughed!
Beautiful rose pictures. Lots of flowers! Great pictures of Gypsy. The happy tail one made me smile. She looks like she is asking if she can go romp in the flowers! Bug hunting maybe? She has a good view from the top of the mountain there! Lol

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitties here are shedding. Time to brush! Smile post anyone? Can you brush a feral cat? Will they like it?

Mountain Bear. Can I brush you? Feel good?
5DF263FC-64BB-4F58-9E29-0F7C85F5B431.jpeg

Yes! Two kitties with one brush!
6021C714-78C6-4E0E-AD4C-781D447B9E4C.jpeg

I am sooooo relaxed now. That’s as good as catnip!
73EDFCB4-7E94-4771-B948-A852B844931D.jpeg

Take my picture. I am beautiful.
3ED469B5-8933-4E9A-8CB7-4C6E81A817AF.jpeg

How about you Pawpurr?
40796EC8-7CAA-47FB-9E97-178375A4A6B8.jpeg

No! I can brush myself! Give me the brush!
3767BA41-C9FD-4752-B947-3E9FF88E26E4.jpeg

Aw. Come on Pawpurr. Let your hooman serve you.
C1194B26-4528-483F-B451-1EB08E011A85.jpeg

Very well hooman. I will allow it this time. I do it only to please you! Do not touch my belly!
420834D2-C8CF-479E-A99F-3BF1FE454828.jpeg

Hooman! Don’t stop! You forgot my belly!
7AF71428-AE1C-4EFF-A8DF-78F6FAB40D19.jpeg

Apparently I served Pawpurr well. Lololololol
More brushing to come!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless you have the old rigid linoleum tiles- those 9 or 12 inch glued-down squares- it's unlikely that you have asbestos. I don't know what the laws in Canada are, but here, if I do my own work, the old debris can go to a landfill. If I hire a contractor, however, a certified asbestos abatement company has to come in to get rid of it- but it still goes to the same landfill, only it costs you thousands of dollars more- and I can buy a lot of Tyvek coveralls and filter masks for that money.
Hopefully you're right, and my vinyl flooring doesn't have asbestos. However, there's at least 2 layers of it, plus likely the original tile from when the house was built, which might be those 9 or 12 inch glued down squares. Older homes = surprises.

Not sure what the asbestos removal laws are in Canada. Might even depend on the province. I'll have to Google.

rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama The lilacs are beautiful! I have never had those. Smell wonderful?
Lilacs have a very sweet smell, and can almost be overpowering. But a definite sign of spring.

Love the pics of the brushing session. :redheartpump:

Hope everyone has a good week.
1654516973411.png

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird My attorneys and my eye doctors are in the same building, too (each have multiple locations. But I thought it was kind of convenient. :insertevillaugh: )
Getting the brush, but NEVER the brush-off at Chez Catbird! Elvis is a shorthaired cat. He has a thick cottony undercoat and leaves lots of his "furzles" everywhere you look. I think he tries very hard. I think he is proud of being able to do this. Maybe he thinks I love finding these and picking them up. :flail:Baby Su, on the other paw, has a fairly silky single-layered coat and doesn't leave much in the way of castoff. She LOVES being brushed. Elvis does, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.