Feral in my garage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been following your story and just wanted to add my thoughts. As there seems to be no one who could take care of Oscar when you leave and he is so used to you feeding him, it wouldn't be in his best interest to leave him behind. You are doing the right thing by keeping him with you. You can always think of this move as a first step. Who knows what might happen! There might be a day in the future where you could take him for walks on a harness. You might expand the catio. You might add cat-proof fencing. Or you might find he is perfectly happy in the new home that you are now providing for him.

I have taken in two outside cats (one semi-feral, one stray) after feeding/sheltering them through several winters. I kept them in a separate bedroom for months where they were perfectly happy with a window, food, water, litter, a cat tree, and a soft place to sleep. The semi-feral cat wasn't really interested in leaving the room when she had the option!

As far as the immediate decisions, I think it would be easier for both of you to take him directly to the vets. That way you won't have to trap him again and he can be checked, receive shots, flea medicine, etc., then go to his new home. When he is in the trap, as you probably know, it is important to cover it up and most cats immediately calm down. I had to keep one of my cats in a trap overnight and he was quiet as a mouse!

Best of luck to you and thank you so much for caring for Oscar!
THanks for your response. My only hestation with going to the vets is that it will add a bunch more trauma. He had a rabies shot and distemper 15 months ago and so probably still good (both the 1 and 3 year shot usually last 3 years) and so it would only be to knock him out and check him over. Not sure if that is too much . .. .I don't know.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand your concerns - maybe check with the vet to help you decide. ARE the shots still good? Will he need flea or tick medicine?
I had to trap three feral cats when my mother moved (very long story there!) and one of the cats had an infected tooth that needed to be removed. Just consider that there may be things about his health you aren't aware of. He may be unhappy in the trap to begin with and once at the vets, he will likely be sedated. A thorough check-up, bloodwork, etc. would help you take care of him. Just my two cents!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OMG that's amazing! What a wonderful set-up. I don't know if cats really care about the smell of cedar. I live in the middle of a forest and most of the outdoor stuff I've made for my cats is from cedar or pine trees that blew down in storms. All I've done is stripped the bark off.

Mushroom9.jpg
TreeHouse48_R.jpg

When I moved my feral colony some of the cats spent the first few weeks hiding under blankets or in cardboard boxes. They eventually got used to their new home and accepted the situation. I think you just have to try, be patient and hope for the best.

You've put so much effort into this. I really respect all the lengths you've gone to for him.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here is the shed configured and the catio. Only problem is all cedar and I read that cats hate the smell!! Ugh ! Also - my vet thinks he’ll be miserable indoors.
It's much bigger than I thought. It's great and wonderful. I don't mind staying in there :think:

Don't listen to your vet on this being miserable being indoors. Make it cozy and let him own the place.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK - well today is the day. He's not out there waiting yet. Trying to have a calm vibe . . .

I will try not to worry about the cedar smell in the shed and hope that he will be happy. I just want him to eat once he's in there and not starve himself like he did inside my house. If I can get him today - I am bringing him to the vet to knock him out and look him over, clean his ears, etc. Not sure if that is a good decision or not.

As you can tell - I second guess myself since I don't know what is the right choice for him at all.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! The catio looks amazing !!!! :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

If you put a cot in there, you could rent it out as an Airb&b. :lol:

Sorry Oscar didn't co-operate today. Good luck for next time.
Thank you! And yes, the catio is nicer than my actual house and I want to move in there!

And no, he didn't go near the trap today. I am going to try again tomorrow morning. So stressful!

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just thinking of you and Oscar. Any updates?
I think you must be psychic. First off - Oscar is still OK. I was not able to trap him before I left and so I have been driving back every other day. I saw him yesterday at the back of the yard . ..he looked at me and I walked up to the feeding place with food and he did not follow. I was so upset. So I went back down and put the food near where he was sitting. When I left - he ate it all. It was one and a half small can and some dry. He looked OK . . not great to me.

I will keep trying. I really don't know what to do. I could not trap him before I left since the schedule was off . . . I think he sensed something and so wasn't coming in the morning. Then I moved - and now have been back every 2-3 days. I didn't see him 3 days ago but did see him yesterday.

I cried the whole way back up in my car. I am not sure what else to do but keep trying. But it's hard to drive 2 hrs there one way and then back.

The catio here and shed is all ready for him. I am so heartbroken.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, hon. Wish I knew the purrrfect solution to suggest. Sending hugs and pawsitive thoughts your way. 🤗🤗🤗
I keep telling myself that he isn't thinking "she abandoned me" but rather it's just a change. I hope he isn't going hungry. It's summer so there are birds and things around but I worry so. I will go down tomorrow and try again.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I keep telling myself that he isn't thinking "she abandoned me" but rather it's just a change. I hope he isn't going hungry. It's summer so there are birds and things around but I worry so. I will go down tomorrow and try again.
Can you like talk with the neighbors and tell them your plans and you may want to leave a trap there for him. You may have to stay there for at least more than half a day or so to try to trap him. And if you are not there, get the neighbors help and ask them to put the food in the trap for you and once he's in, cover it with a blanket and inform you immediately so that you can go get him.

Or you can try contacting the local cat rescue and tell them your plans and ask them to help you.

If there's no one to help you out and since traveling up and down takes up time, it'll be impossible to trap him.

I do hope that you get him fast and not take too long.

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I have tried three times when he was hungry and waiting for me to put down the food - and he won't go in the trap. He just looks at the food in it and leaves.

I keep driving down which is two hours - trying to get him, and then driving back. I know he is hungry since after he leaves and I am leaving to drive back - I end up feeding him and he eats 3 small cans . . the most he has ever eaten . . . even in winter.

I will drive down again on Friday - and try again. I won't be down tomorrow and so he will definitely be very hungry. He's too smart and I am exhausted. And, no to the neighbors. No one wants a "cat in their yard" and so no one will help.

The trap gets set, with his favorite food and still - nothing. I will try kentucky friend chicken next - although as a vegan - that's a hard thing for me to handle!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So, I have tried three times when he was hungry and waiting for me to put down the food - and he won't go in the trap. He just looks at the food in it and leaves.

I keep driving down which is two hours - trying to get him, and then driving back. I know he is hungry since after he leaves and I am leaving to drive back - I end up feeding him and he eats 3 small cans . . the most he has ever eaten . . . even in winter.

I will drive down again on Friday - and try again. I won't be down tomorrow and so he will definitely be very hungry. He's too smart and I am exhausted. And, no to the neighbors. No one wants a "cat in their yard" and so no one will help.

The trap gets set, with his favorite food and still - nothing. I will try kentucky friend chicken next - although as a vegan - that's a hard thing for me to handle!
Can you get in touch with the local rescue group to help?

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, first off thank you for being so commited to helping Oscar. Congrats on your move and that catio looks beautiful. I am sure Oscar will love it once you trap him. Did the rescue give you a drop trap? There are some with remote controls that set off the trap, otherwise it is pull string. If Oscar is trap-smart, usual the go to trap is a drop trap that is camouflaged. Usually that trap is left out propped up, for a few days to get the cat use to eating under it, then when they have eaten or laid under it a couple times, then you set it up to trap. Any trapping done, must be done when you are present. Never leave traps unintended. Also, tell your neighbors what you are doing, so nobody feeds Oscar and he will go for the food under the trap. I think it would be best for experienced trappers to help you. The stakes are high, you just moved and you really want to get this done asap. Give Oscar no chance to wander off looking for new feeders.

Well, I wish you luck. Thank you for caring so much for Oscar.🙂

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been following your story and I know how dedicated you are. I just want you to know that it seems that every time I felt like I could not get a cat and it dragged on, just when I was really low, I got the cat. It happened time and time again. Yes, some cats are easily gotten but not all. The smartest ones , take more effort but are the most devoted of all, once they understand. I would not trade a single moment that I cried or worked to get a specific cat. I have even talked to the cat and told them, “I must get you safe. You really need to go into this trap.” Do they understand my words? Not likely but I do believe they understand my tone. My heartfelt desperation maybe? I don’t know but I did get every cat I went after and you are so diligent that I know it is just a matter of timing and that you WILL get this cat. Cry, plead, talk to him, just keep trying. When this is all over, you will never regret a single moment. The instant we get them is like no other. Relief, tears of joy and maybe tired. Relief being the dominant feeling. You have become one of my heros. I don’t say that lightly. If I could be there to help you, I would! I send you every ounce of energy, hope, love and gratitude. You are doing the right thing! That kitty house is amazing! Now just focus on yourself and on getting him safe. I know you will. :vibes::heartshape: