Geoffrey ~ Diarrhea~

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angel used to have poops with hair in it. It was like the poop was just a shell to a hair ball. As long as It's coming out, that's good. I'm sure he did feel better after that! Sammie always went between solids & "soft serve." She was always fine otherwise. I never did link it to any particular protein. ( but now in hindsight, I'm sure it was relate to that liver mass, along w/ adjusting period of moving to my parents).
I think despite it all, considering it all, G is doing pretty good. It was nice to hear he was up & looking out the window & door. The pilling & attempted nail trims are going to be a fight from most cats, so that on top of a period of still adjusting, is normal I think, so try not to stress too much. I think you are doing great!
It's taking time because of all the various circumstances, past, & present, but I feel sure that he will eventually come around. He is realizing more & more that he can relax.
That he is finally in his forever home. The fact that he was out looking out the window, As well as laying near or by you at night, are good things!
:):petcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
We were in the middle of a play session, after giving him his Flagyl..and the power flashed on and off.. dam this is the 5th time today!!

After the 3rd time, this afternoon, I called the electric company.. No one else in the building had called.. Unbelievable!!!

I am not calling again.

We are all set: G got his meds, he ate well, he has food down, we played a bit.. I have the battery powered radio out on the kitchen table, along with 2 small lanterns.

I am ok.. Cell phone is new and charged up.. I have plenty of blankets, quilts, throws.. I took my evening meds, brushed my teeth, and have my warm pj's on..
I also have a very very old corded phone---an old 'Princess" phone, if anyone remembers them... It comes in handy for times like this. It is plugged in and at the ready...

I think Geoffrey will be spooked if the power goes out, and it is pitch dark.. poor thing.

I will be concerned about him finding the litter box, if that happens.. and the cold.. but I am ok..

We will be fine.

G is pacing now.. and curled up in front of his catnip sardine..

I vacuumed and steam washed the kitchen, entry way and great room floors..

You would think that steaming, would eliminate all smells, but G is sniffing the floor.. weird cat....
vampire cat..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Angel used to have poops with hair in it. It was like the poop was just a shell to a hair ball.
This is the kind of poop-furball, I am used to.
What Geoffrey had was just a 'plop' ~~~~~
looked like a soft serve of fur.. weird.. like some poop with a bunch of fur...

Dr B said it was ok.. so.. we will see..
F1WJ%2KjTzG4N54BWK9aoQ.jpg

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, maybe there was just too much hair for it to have a chance to form.

Im glad today went well, giving meds, yay he ate, & is playing. :clap2:
I hope your power comes back on soon. Burrr! If you have a LED candle, you could always put that in G's bathroom. It would probably last longer than a flashlight being left on, aimed at the ceiling. I wouldn't worry too much, Im sure he can see in the dark enough to find his box.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Kept the power, although there was another 'flash' last night.

Geoffrey slept with me.

I was so hungry last night, while I was watching TV.
I opened up a bag of Trader Joes Cheese Puffs--the white ones which are really good.

Guess What? Geoffrey was demanding some!! OMGosh.. finally found a food he wants.. He never wants my food.. well; the yogurt, but once he got a really good sniff, he refused it..

Geoffrey was literally climbing all over me for the cheese puffs! Kept saying: "No, Boo Boo"...
~~~~~~~~~~
His stool looks a bit soft, on the last couple of pieces.. sigh..
I will not panic, until it gets to the soft serve stage. Then I always have Dr B...
~~~~~~~
He played really well, last night, and not bad this morning...
fingers crossed...

He is sitting on top of the small filing cabinet, at an angle so he can look out the window.. and still watch the door... for me...

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol! Geoffrey's got good taste in people food.

I remember Lelia went crazy like that when I bought this cheese spread with bacon in it at the farmer's market. It was like: where did this come from?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, at least you know what the plops are! And he's getting better about the brushing, as well. We progress, very slowly, but that's G, isn't it?

I think you may be right, that he has a bad association with getting his claws clipped. All it would take is one time of having someone go into the quick. Just take it very slowly, maybe two at a time, until he "gets" that you know how to do this without hurting him. Me? I still have to take Hek to the vet for that, and she's never been hurt during a clip, she's just...Hekitty.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it has been a while since I posted.. a lot has happened...

Geoffrey's stools, despite the flagyl and rabbit, are getting soft again... not diarrhea, as of yet, but has been at a 'plop' stage...

and his acne has returned...

I am getting beside myself with this..

Spoke with Dr B last night..
He wants me to change his food to W/D...

I cannot afford a biopsy--G is still under the pre-existing period for insurance... plus, I think undergoing a biopsy would psychologically put him over the edge...

Artie had a biopsy--insurance paid for it. He was older, but it was very hard on him. He was sick for over a week, later.. It was hard to see him suffer. I cannot do that to Geoffrey...

Dr B said he will not just give steroids, without a biopsy...

He feels that all of Geoffrey's issues are stress related...

I pointed out that the past 10 days have been pretty stress free for him. He said it does not matter...
and also said that I may have to re-home him...give him up.....

I am so undecided about trying a new food out on him...

I am going into the other side of Boston for an appointment today. If I decide to pick up the W/D, then I plan to drop off a few thing to the shelter, there..

And Geoffrey is going to be under much more stress... because I am moving..

I got word that I was approved for elderly housing.. I need that, financially.. and I desperately need some new furniture--my bedroom set is falling apart... and I need a new mattress..

The apartment is tiny, tiny...

so G is going to be under more stress..

I am so confused.. thoughts flying all over the place...

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been patiently waiting for an update, & was hoping no news, was good news.
Im so sorry Cindy. That is a lot. I don't even know what to say right now, & can imagine the thoughts spinning around in your head.
Hopefully, the new place will be better for you both. I know you're a woman of faith, so go somewhere quiet & peaceful, and pray about it. Have a heart to heart with God, & ask for clear signs. I will be urnestly praying for you my friend. :hugs: my heart is with you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He feels that all of Geoffrey's issues are stress related...

I pointed out that the past 10 days have been pretty stress free for him. He said it does not matter...
and also said that I may have to re-home him...give him up.....
Why did he have to tell you this?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since cats are deeply aware of and influenced by our emotions, I wonder how much of your stress Geoffrey is picking up on and internalizing. Perhaps you should ask St Gertrude to help you release your stress to the universe so Geoffrey won't be carrying it as well as his own.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have spoken about this, but I will just remind you that in my opinion, it is not time yet to speak of rehoming, which would do nothing but add stress for both of you! He has gone through a lot, and it take a cat (or person) with his mental issues awhile to settle down after an upheaval. Time to consider options several weeks after everything is calm again after the move. But that's just my opinion.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
FEA147F2-00D7-43EF-BB29-A59648ACF128.jpeg
E74BA6EA-89DF-4A33-8D5E-F92CF5FC4F7A.jpeg
6C859A12-86CA-4960-80DA-43AAD3897E7E.jpeg
CB1811DC-BDBC-42E6-AE0D-90214F68D498.jpeg
I have not given my notice, yet. I am signing the lease and getting the keys on Monday.

I am hoping to be completely moved in by March first. I have a ton to do, without any help—things have come up to those people I thought could help me.

It is a quiet building, although there is a dog in the next apartment.

I wonder how Geoffrey will react to that. And a new home, but with me.

I have been on a waiting list for a few years. It is income adjusted elderly housing, I cannot afford the rents around here, plus I know several people in the complex. The have a ton of amenities: mini gym, activities, a small store, Reiki, tenants association, dining room, library, computer room, etc.

I will be giving up a lot, but it will be good for me in the long run.

A very tiny apartment. On the beach.

Thinking I will wait until at least next week to try the new food—unless things change.

Again, I was exhausted, late afternoon. I was lying on my bed, after pilling Geoffrey.

He came over to cuddle and purr.

We stayed a couple of hours—- just cuddling.
He was purring the entire time.

It was as if he was trying to make me feel better. This is the second time, in a week; which we have done this.

This morning he was also in the sun, on his cat tree.

He was also lying on the file cabinet, in front of the window; and allowed me to brush him—-all while purring away and rolling.

It has been quite in here. No construction and cleaner air because I asked for a new HVAC air filter.

I noticed a difference in him last week. Thinking the Prozac May be kicking in, to calm him.

So confusing. I know he is stressing me. But I have never had a “normal “ cat. All three of mine have been sick.

I need to learn how not to worry so much about him. Perhaps he is really so sensitive that he is picking up on my stress; which is making him worse. More sensitive than Artie.

Right now, Geoffrey is on the sofa—his “evening “ spot.

He is really sweet. But so messed up. He trills, each time I pet him. Almost like a startle. Once he sees it is me touching him, he is ok.

He does follow me to bed, every night— we cuddle for a long time—then he goes down to the end of the bed, explores a bit, poops, wakes me up.

His fur is so soft. Very short and like fluff. His fur does not bother my allergies. Weird.

Artie had long coarser fur, which bothered me.

Geoffrey makes a mess in the litter box, preferring the one in the tub.

So confusing. Yes, I am constantly talking to
St Gertrude and St Anthony for help and guidance.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think the size of the new apartment will affect G as much as the stress of moving. You are his "constant companion" and I'm afraid what would happen if you had to re-home him. Take your time, don't rush into anything. You can always come here and mull things over with us. :grouphug:

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hang in there! I think you have done great with all of this. I have a cat who has bouts of diarrhea, and I have noticed a link with stressful events--daughter going off to school, that sort of thing. I think he has IBS/IBD, but I have not done a biopsy due to cost and figuring it would just add more stress.

I may have missed you mentioning this, but have you tried a bland diet only for as long as a week? I am not trying to go against the vet, but sometimes with my cat, the best thing is to feed him only boiled chicken breast and Beechnut baby food chicken for a while. Then, I try a simple food, either wet or dry. I am doing this with my cat right now due to a food he has been on for nearly a year changing formulas (it is like a new food to him), plus, I am having some financial stress--so...

Also, the one dry food that actually did work for my cat's diarrhea was Royal Canin Intestinal prescription (actually to the point of near constipation--but I would try it again to get a bad bout under control), and I even had some good results with Royal Canin Sensitive Digestion found at Petsmart--not prescription (used to be called Special 33). Have you tried either of these? I will be hoping that the new place is good for both of you--and no, I would not be looking at re-homing. I know this is tough, but honestly, I would not look at re-homing until I had tried every food out there I could afford. I may have missed a post where you mentioned all the foods you may have tried, so I apologize if I missed that--I was just remembering some things I have tried with my cat.

It sounds like you and G have a bond going. I am not sure I could have ever gotten even my most trusting cat to let me pill him--I was lucky that my cat took Flagyl once but did well with putting 1/4 pill inside a pill pocket, swallowed them whole. I do believe this cat knows you are on his side and doing stuff to help him! Please keep us posted. Maybe the smaller place will actually seem more secure for him (and less stress on finances for you).