Geoffrey ~ Diarrhea~

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like the new place will be great, once you get settled in. Especially with all the amenities on site, plus having friends also in the complex. I think all that will lessen your stress, which will lessen Geoffrey's stress, which will lesson your stress more, and so on ... :catlove:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder how Geoffrey will react to that. And a new home, but with me.
He'll react to a new home with you FAR better than to a new home without you, you know.

t was as if he was trying to make me feel better. This is the second time, in a week; which we have done this.

This morning he was also in the sun, on his cat tree.

He was also lying on the file cabinet, in front of the window; and allowed me to brush him—-all while purring away and rolling.
This is a glimpse of who he can be, and is meant to be. We're just taking our own, sweet time getting there.

Perhaps he is really so sensitive that he is picking up on my stress; which is making him worse.
This might be a good time to brush up on those meditation techniques! We know that ALL cats are energy-sponges, and G is WAY up on the Sensitivity Scale. He may end up being a valuable asset to you, in that he will respond to stress that you aren't yet consciously aware of, allowing you to decompress before the stress even reaches your conscious mind! Kindof a purring biofeedback machine! Hek does that for me, and she's not nearly as sensitive as G is.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sure you're busy getting everything ready for your move, but just wondering how things are going with you and Geoffrey?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize for having to 'drop the ball' with this thread.. I am been so busy. Just collapse when I come home..

I am packing, cleaning up the new place, dumping stuff, donating things.. It is very overwhelming..trying to remember what has to be done and do it... and I bought some smaller furniture to fit in the new, tiny apartment..

Geoffrey's stool became soft on the Rabbit. I wonder if is is the peas in the food? Prescription food also..

Now, he is eating a mixture of the rabbit--which he loves, and W/D... yes, the recall to the dog food came out, just after we began the changeover. No cat food is recalled, as of yet. Watching closely.

Dr B loves this food. It has additional fiber to it..

Geoffrey is eating a 70/30 mix..more W/d

Once G started eating it, his bowels formed up.. it was kind of amazing.. We stopped the flagyl a week ago.. His stools are semi ok.. sometimes a bit softer, but fingers are crossed...

The past week, Geoffrey has found his 'inner cat'.... He is coming out for longer periods of time.

My small plastic file cabinet is one of his 'spots'..

He likes to watch TV for a minute or 2..

I am now allowed to brush him.. either on the file cabinet or on his cat tree.. He does not stay still for it..

On the cat tree, he goes from one level to the other; but purring.

On the file cabinet, he just rolls, walks back and forth...

During the day, he still hides under my quilt.

Woke me up at 4am today.. he did not poop, but his box was full without a ton of litter.. have to clean it today.

Last week, he started to lie down on my desk and even went on the windowsill!!

Geoffrey has been following me around, as I pack.. He is curious!!
But, he is terrified of boxes... poor thing..
When I take out a folded box, and try to put it together, he runs like all heck.. He is really frightened of it and packing tape...

It makes me think he was in a box... who knows what horrors happened to this cat, which made him psychologically impaired..

He still has acne.. and is worsening, despite the chlolorhexadine wipes.. I have forgotten to use them for a few days~~ too exhausted..

Right now, he is on his file cabinet.. just looking at the door.

He comes to bed with me.. but does not stay the entire night.
Geoffrey knows his name..

I am just wondering and very concerned about how he will take the move.. there is really no place to confine him.. just an open kitchen/living area, a small bathroom and a tiny bedroom..

The litter box, will not fit in the bathroom.. I may not be able to close the door, all the way.. and I will be stepping on litter...

The bedroom and living area, is carpeted.. wish it was laminate, but... and it is a very warm/hot building..

I am going to out Geoffreys cat tree kind of in-between two windows.. I need a view of the beach.. so we will see how much he gets.. He can watch the ocean, the seagulls, and people... so can I...

My neighbor is helping me take some boxes over, this Saturday.. He volunteered.. so nice.. He has a Van..

My furniture is arriving on the 22, as well as Verizon telephone.

On the 25, my movers are coming, for a few things.. and Comcast is coming in on the 26...

I want to be out of here, and living in the new place by the 28...

I have this apartment until March 8.. I have a junk guy coming in on the 4th, because my bedroom set is falling apart, and I have other stuff which Is not even worth donating.. stained, chipped, old, etc...

Then, hopefully, I can just pick up around here... and be out by the 8th... Have to cancel the electricity and gas for the 9th..

I have to pay the entire month of March.. It was a long haul trying to get out of my lease.. this was the compromise..

I plan, because I am still paying rent, to make full use of the dumpster for my trash.. I am paying for it... fingers crossed...

What I am worried about is that there is a poodle in the apartment next to me... It is yappy.. I wonder how Geoffrey will react to that.. and we share a bedroom wall..

The bedroom, for some reason, I do not feel comfortable in that space.. I do not know why.. kind of dark, but...

I am going to have my priest come in to bless it.. I also have some very old holy water from Lourdes.. I think I am going to sprinkle it around there, before he comes in...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
JuNMWdX6Sg+ulAreyMrlFA.jpg

We had some snow, late afternoon. Geoffrey was so impressed with watching it fall. He kept watching it.. out the balcony door and on my desk...

He is talking a ton...

Geoffrey is still on Prozac. I think it is really helping him.. calmer, with me.. and coming out..

With others, still terrified.. Ken came over, to chat, wanted to see him.. I picked up the quilt to show off Geoffrey.. G, just ran for the hills... terrified.. poor thing...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is talking a ton...
How nice to hear you have a chatterbox! ;)
Thank you for the lovely pic of your stunningly handsome boy.

Thanks so much for the update. I know it's not perfect but definitely an improvement from a month or two ago. :thumbsup: So happy G likes his new combo of food and his poops have been better. As for the move, change is always difficult and has it's challenges but as long as Geoffrey is with you he will thrive. :heartshape:

My best wishes for a smooth transition to the new apartment. You will be busy packing and cleaning but once you are settled in your new residence the two of you can breathe a sigh of relief. Hugs and special thoughts in the upcoming weeks. We will be thinking of you. :grouphug:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for taking time from your rushing around to give us an update. Though small, your new place sounds nice. Especially the view of the beach! :sunshine:

Glad things are going ok with Geoffrey. He really does sounds like a sweet boy. :catlove:

Good luck with the rest of your move preparations, and the actual move. Will be thinking of you and Geoffrey over the next few weeks. :catrub: :winkcat: :heartshape:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though Geoffrey is getting the concept that your apartment (world) is closed off, safe from those apartments next to yours. I think that means in time, after a few days of hiding and seeing that you aren't hiding from the poodle, he'll realize the poodle can't get to him. Cats are pretty smart about that. He may also decide to annoy the poodle by meowing at it through the wall.

I read your description of the new apartment. It sounds nice. I'd just leave the litter box in a corner, maybe with a little furniture in front of it to make it more private, but I've had litter boxes so long I hardly notice them.

In case you want something more, I found nice litter box covering furniture on Amazon (I know you don't use Amazon, but the listing will show you what the furniture looks like and the name of the maker in case you want to see about it elsewhere.) It is pricey and might be something for later. It's $61. This is what it looks like

Put this in the search to read about it.

Chewy.com (they deliver) has one for $50. on this page
Trixie Wooden Cat Home & Litter Box Cover, Brown - Chewy.com

Here is what it looks like. It's the same without the railing, by the same company. There are others, but the others are really expensive. I'll keep looking if you're interested and see what I can find for you guys. Geoffrey's got the best of safe places and that's in and under your bed.

Merry Pet Cat Washroom/Night Stand Pet House

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to apologise. We know you are busy, so thank you for taking time out to give us an update. It sounds like Geoffery is doing pretty good under the circumstances.
Especially liking/ eating his food, & mostly normal poops.
I think he has finally realized that he is with his forever person, & where you are is home. :) It sounds like he's relaxed more, letting you brush him is a good sign. He's trusting you. Hopefully the poodle wont be too much a problem. I'd think if it were a big barker, other neighbors would have complained by now, so, :crossfingers: As far as the new place & the litter box, K Kflowers made a great suggestion. I'v seen those too. People use them as an end table, etc.. if you get one, maybe you could also put it in a corner in your room, or if big enough, a far corner of the kitchen.
Best of luck with everything. We know you're busy, so we will patiently wait for updates. :)
I'll be thinking of you guys!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My goodness, Darlin', we know how frantic things are for you right now! You get here when you can, and don't worry about much more than, "We're surviving!"

The bedroom, for some reason, I do not feel comfortable in that space.. I do not know why.. kind of dark, but...

I am going to have my priest come in to bless it.. I also have some very old holy water from Lourdes.. I think I am going to sprinkle it around there, before he comes in...
Do that. You'll feel much better about it all. I think that the issue may be the size, and you'll get used to that. THAT SAID, a good blessing never hurt a thing! Gets rid of the residual energies in a place.

We had some snow, late afternoon. Geoffrey was so impressed with watching it fall. He kept watching it.. out the balcony door and on my desk...

He is talking a ton...
AWWWWWWWWW! That's just...sweet!

With others, still terrified..
After you are in, and settled, we can actually begin working on that, a tiny bit at a time. Having a quiet person come in on a regular basis, and just sit and talk with you, ignoring Geoff at first. And then build from there. We'll go over it when things are more quiet.

after a few days of hiding and seeing that you aren't hiding from the poodle, he'll realize the poodle can't get to him.
I think that is right. And if he doesn't smell the poodle, it will go even faster!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found another one, yes, I was looking for it. I've seen it before. The plant doesn't look all that real, I just wish I knew what plant it was supposed to be as I want one.

Chewy has it for $60. I know I've read one of the others on this site talking about it. I remember she said it didn't tip over and her cat liked it. Some people had trouble with the top piece of the planter fitting into the bottom piece. It might be awkward to lift off to clean the litter. I'm guessing if you don't like the plant you can get another silk plant at the Dollar Store to use instead. That way you could pick one with flowers that matched your decor and could change it with the seasons.

Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter - Chewy.com

It's hard to get any image of it. I don't understand why they don't want you to be able to show your friends.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Friends,
Still packing.. move going forward..

Geoffrey knows something is happening. Too much confusion. He is terrified of the open boxes.. and the packing tape. poor thing.. I hate to think what happened to him, in the past.

He is still on the prozac.. I think it has helped him a lot..

Geoffrey stays out, a bit, when the sun is up..
Geoffrey even follows me around, in the morning and late afternoon, when I am packing. He is getting his "Cat" on...

He is so funny, I go back and forth, from room to room, he is trailing me!!

Runs at the sound of the tape or the sound of the box.. and the sight of an empty box.
and my out stretched arms--to the side..

He is tolerating the W/D food, both wet and dry. As long as I mix some rabbit with it, he is eating it.. prefers the dry during the night.

G has to STOP waking me up, at ungodly hours of the morning!! For foolish things..
His litter box, he pooped, his dry food is almost empty... he just wants to play, and wants me up!!
Weird...

Still sleeping under my quilt from midmorning to late afternoon..

He sometimes sleeps on top of my bed, during the late afternoon..

I am allowed to brush him a bit.. while he is on his cat tree--I take advantage of the time he is out in the open..

His stool: WeEELLLL, I am not going to say anything.. He has been off the flagyl for a couple weeks or a bit more.. While he does have an occasional 'plop' in the middle of his stools, it is mostly solid... but yesterday, it was more 'ploppy'.... fingers crossed.

He was in the litter box, a few minutes ago... I dread looking.

He is still on the probiotic.

I have pretty much stopped treating his acne; not because it has disappeared.. but because I was completely exhausted for a few days in a row, forgetting to wipe it down. It is still there, but not as bad.. which is strange, because it was getting much worse, when I was treating it..

Right now, he is on his cat tree, on the edge of one of the shelves... about to fall over.. weird.. he is watching the snow fall and napping..

I wonder how he is going to handle the move?

They had a couple of 'showings' of this apartment, yesterday.. bad timing for G.. I was just brushing him. When the group came in, He ran, like a bat out of Heck, under my dresser...
After the first group left, he hightailed it under my quilt.. I left him there, and went to my new place...

All he wants to do is PLAY!!! When he wakes up, he wants to play. He wakes me up to play. He cries because he wants to play!!!

I am still taking food over to him, under the quilt.. I know, I am spoiling him, and making it a habit.. but he has so many upcoming changes.. I need to keep something constant.. He does not eat the wet food, on his own; only the dry..

Today, snow, so we are staying here, packing, phone calls, purging... so overwhelming..

management is still being an idiot~~ even though the letter sent me, stated the day I was vacating the apartment; they still want to know the EXACT date and the EXACT TIME... OMG..
As far as the day, it was listed on the letter... as far as the time-who the heck knows!!!

I replied: the same date as what was listed..
The time: midnight- exact time uncertain.

money hungry.. I tell you, never rent from this company.. greedy, uncaring, and not good with upkeep of the grounds, and building... it has never looked this dirty... cleaners only in once a week, for a 75 unit building.. not enough..

anyway.. I am off..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They had a couple of 'showings' of this apartment, yesterday.. bad timing for G.. I was just brushing him. When the group came in, He ran, like a bat out of Heck, under my dresser...
After the first group left, he hightailed it under my quilt.. I left him there, and went to my new place...

Did management not give you a heads up when they will be showing the apartment?? It's rude of them to just let themselves in while you are home. What if you were doing something private, like on the phone with the bank discussing financial matters or something?

Some of the apartment building management companies around here are horrible, especially those that manage small apartment buildings. Money greedy, poor upkeep of the building unless it's a fancy high end place where wealthy residents demand a certain lifestyle, etc.

I'm glad you are moving into a senior place. Is it run by the city or a private organization?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
The new apartment is privately run.. and has a few other facilities..

They have a good reputation. It is run by a denomination which is not of my faith.. but that is ok.. there are more of my faith, than the others...

Between the people my friends know, and the ones I know from church.. there are a lot of people I am familiar with.. so it is not so foreign.. frightening , and off-putting to see so many people in need.. really elderly, frail... but... I thank God that I am not like that, as of yet..

The management seems to really cater to the seniors..

Weird to consider myself a senior.. I think I am one of the younger ones in the building. I put my name in on my birthday.. as soon as I was, age- eligible.

I have asked for a few things to be done/fixes... immediate response..

They are always saying, "we want things to be perfect before you move in" "Now is the time for you to sit back and enjoy. Let us do things for you".. of course a lot of things you do pay for, but not much. They do not mind modifying the apartments to the the tenants wishes.. If you buy something, they will install it, buy you have pay the maintenance guys for their labor--in the form of a tip...

lots of happenings: movies in community room, Reiki sessions, Hairdresser, manicurist, library, tiny general store, a large, clean laundry room, Yoga--sitting and mat....
They have outings, have a community bus, once a week to both Stop & Shop and MarketBasket.
And a bus to a weekly Mass service, at my church.

I have a view of the beach--it is on the beach.. and is very quiet. and HOT... very warm.. I do not have to pay for electricity or heat.. included in rent.

Most of the tenants seem friendly.. and, of course, nosey...

As far as noise---well, there is a Yappy, small dog next door.. not a fan of this.. but I will introduce myself, after I move in and explain how it is bothering me.. if nothing is done to solve the situation, I will talk to management..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Did management not give you a heads up when they will be showing the apartment?? It's rude of them to just let themselves in while you are home.
They called me the afternoon BEFORE the showing---less than 24 hour notice.. and on my home phone. I told them that I was happy about the showings, but knew it was a stipulation on my lease. The realtor was
"understanding".

I told him I could not do it a few days this week. He said, not to worry..it will probably be on weekends.. at least at this point. I gave him my cell phone number, to contact me, as My landline will be switched over to the new address.. He also gave me his card, and his cell phone number..
~~~~~~~~~
OMG.. just brushed Geoffrey.. He is having a blast--literally.. he is chasing the ball over the place, jumping chasing, hunting it.. and we played really hard this morning, with Da Bird... now he took a different ball., and cries when he needs help with it..so funny... He is a 'freshie" this morning.. sniffing the floor, from the strangers, yesterday..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sound of unrolling strapping tape is rather frightening if you don't know what it is. Maybe if you show him the roll of tape then pull a tiny bit - one pop - off and show it to him again?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His stool: WeEELLLL, I am not going to say anything.. He has been off the flagyl for a couple weeks or a bit more.. While he does have an occasional 'plop' in the middle of his stools, it is mostly solid... but yesterday, it was more 'ploppy'.... fingers crossed.
YESTERDAY you had strangers in the apartment. And he's really doing well, overall. I think his anxiety will always go to his butt, as it were.

OMG.. just brushed Geoffrey.. He is having a blast--literally.. he is chasing the ball over the place, jumping chasing, hunting it.. and we played really hard this morning, with Da Bird... now he took a different ball., and cries when he needs help with it..so funny... He is a 'freshie" this morning.. sniffing the floor, from the strangers, yesterday..
GOOD FOR HIM! He's dong so well, isn't he? Just think where you were two months ago with him!

The sound of unrolling strapping tape is rather frightening if you don't know what it is. Maybe if you show him the roll of tape then pull a tiny bit - one pop - off and show it to him again?
It is, and that might be part of it, but...he's also terrified of boxes, of all things! I can't help but wonder if someone taped him up inside a box at some point in his life. I think his backstory might be a bit horrific. Part of me wants to think that the reason his previous owner wanted his original name kept was love, but part of me wonders if it had more to do with control. Control freaks are odd about things like that.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I haven't read thru the 10 pages here but wanted to just give afew suggestions. Have you looked into giving b12 injections? I found that made a big difference for both my cats when the had soft poops. My 1 cat was supposed to have an ultra sound to diagnose possible IBS but we didn't move forward since I have been giving her cerenia every 2nd day and that resolved her barfing so we're in watch and wait mode. B12 was one thing that I give weekly and noticed that helped. Also, feeding a raw diet helped as well. Of course mine only want to eat the freeze dried stella & chewy bags - they also make a raw in the same flavors that thaw in about 15 minutes but nope, they want freeze dry more. There is quite a bit of bone content in most raw and that can cause them to firm up - I noticed that also made a difference in keeping poops "normal".