Geoffrey ~ Diarrhea~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is still hiding under my quilt..

Yesterday, I changed my bed sheets.. I had to; I have been avoiding it for too long, because of not wanting to disturb the barriers...

Geoffrey was not happy. He hid under my dresser all day.

I also dumped, washed his litter box, and that bathroom. Again, he was not happy.

I put out a large high side litter box, for him~~ keeping his old one, with litter, in the bathtub.

Geoffrey was afraid of the new box!! OMG..
I had to rearrange things. I forgot to save some of his old litter to put in there--for his scent..

He had to use the box, but was afraid..
So back to the old box.. That was ok with me.. He used it within 15 minutes.

Geoffrey went back to being under my quilt.

I was tired, so I lied down on the sofa. It took over an hour, be he came out, eventually, jumping on the back of the sofa, near my feet, then he jumped down to lying next to me.
Sweet boy..

He was a pain when I went to bed---wanting lovings.. but quieted down after 15 minutes or so..

I woke up on my own!!! OMG... Geoffrey was with me, but under the quilt.. weird.. not waking me up, not cuddled against me..

I saw that he used BOTH litter boxes during the night!! One for pee, the new one for poop!!

The bathroom was a mess with litter.. He just keeps catching the litter between his toes.. how can I stop that?
~~~~~~~~~~~`
He is being feisty with his flagyl.
Yesterday, he was a bear to pill.. and again today..

I found a capsule stuck to my chair. Perhaps from yesterday morning? He will get that one tonight.

This morning, He was like a wild cat.. fighting me.. I do not know what happened to him.. perhaps he is feeling better and tired of pilling..

I do not know.. but I am going to have to go back to the towel.. He is so strong!

He has had 9 days of normal stool!! no diarrhea.. now with missing one dose, I will see..
~~~~~~~~~~~
He had his claws clipped 12 days ago. They are getting long.. growing so fast!

He threw up a large fur ball on Thursday.. with another area of associated liquid..

Last night, as I was going to bed, he vomited again.. this time it was not a log shaped fur ball, but just a bunch of fur.. and then another patch of associated liquid.

I need to brush him.. but how?? need to work on that..

Lately, he is in hiding.. no matter what I do, he will not come out to play.. I am chalking that up to both the pilling, which he hates, and the prozac..

He is back under my dresser, since my bed is not made, yet....

From January 13:

fullsizeoutput_362.jpeg

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there is a litter mat under and in front of the litter box. The problem is; the litter gets caught in-between his toes.. Do not know how to avoid that.. expect to find a litter with smaller clay chunks??? Then G would still throw it all over the place..

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
need to brush him.. but how?? need to work on that..
Have you seen any of the self-groomers that are available now? They wouldn't begin to do the thorough job that a good brushing would, but they might help a little bit. Try searching "self groomer" on amazon just for an idea of what's on the market. Geoffrey may discover that he likes the feeling of being brushed and maybe you could build on that.

He just keeps catching the litter between his toes.. how can I stop that?
You'd need something bumpy to spread the toes apart so the litter falls out.
:yeah: I was just about to say the same thing. :catman: A few months ago, I spent a lot of time reading about litter mats and was surprised at how much variability there was in their design. What works for some cats doesn't work for others and then there are just the plain old duds that don't work for any cat.

This is the one that I ended up with and it has cut down significantly on the amount of litter being tracked everywhere. It's a lot more expensive than the Van Ness model that LTS3 LTS3 recommended so might be something to try later if that one doesn't work.

I was tired, so I lied down on the sofa. It took over an hour, be he came out, eventually, jumping on the back of the sofa, near my feet, then he jumped down to lying next to me.
Sweet boy..
Awww. He knows who is human is, even though he's wary right now. :catlove:
From January 13:

Gosh, he's gorgeous! :clapcat:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The problem is; the litter gets caught in-between his toes.. Do not know how to avoid that.. expect to find a litter with smaller clay chunks???
You may want to hold off getting a new type of litter since G seems sensitive to change. He is making progress and it would probably be best to leave well enough alone for the time being. Just my 2 cents worth.:2cents:

I was ecstatic to hear that when you laid down on the sofa to nap he joined you. The thought of him lying beside you warms my heart. :heartshape:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, I began my shredding. I have so much junk to shred. I have not done any since I brought Geoffrey home. I did to want to scare him.

I was in the other bedroom, G was under my quilt. I got half of the shredding down, and then: POOF.. the shredder stopped working.. darn.. I tried everything I could to get it working.. nothing is stuck, it runs in reverse, but not forward.

G was not interested or frightened of the noise.. just stayed where he was.
~~~~~
Geoffrey still cannot understand the new litter box and the new arrangement of his bathroom.

Yesterday afternoon, he came out, went into his bathroom, and curled up on the side of the tub.

I went over to pick him up--to cuddle him. I want him to get used to me doing this..that holding him is not always bad stuff happening. He was ok.. I had his brush.. I closed the bathroom door, put him on the sink, and brushed him..

To my surprise, he did not protest!! He was purring!!! and loving it.. I did not want to overdue it, but I got a full slicker brush full of fur!!!!
:yess:
Hooray!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Last night, I fell asleep on the sofa. Last I remember is Geoffrey being on his cat tree, then jumping on the back of the sofa, down at my feet.

When I woke up to go to bed; I moved my feet-- and hit G!! He was cuddled right up against my feet!! on the sofa cushion..:yess:
~~~~~~~~~~
He is so strange about the new bathroom set up.

I ended up putting his old litter box in front of the tub, with just a bit of litter in it. It is on top of one a huge litter mat.

The new high sided box is in the tub, there is a space and then the Litter Genie, a tiny box with his litter scoop. I have puppy pads lining the tub, to catch the stray litter.

He woke me up, to tell me there is not enough liter in his old box.. He had tired to dig in there, but there was not enough for his liking.. so he HAD to pee in the new box!!!!

When I got up, I scooped the new box; evened out the old box.. Then G jumped in the old box to POOP!!

OMG.. what a crazy cat..
~~~~~~
He then ran under my dresser. Had to get him out for his med.
I picked him up, standing in front of my dresser, holding him semi-tightly, curled up in my left arm, almost like a baby. I was petting him in my right arm.

Geoffrey loved this!! We went off or 10 minutes.. just holding him, petting him, purring away.. just loving ... so sweet..
He was purring so much that his eyes were closing.. I was standing up, loving him.. and he was loving me... :itslove:

Then he wanted down.. I ad to pill him.. He was fairly good at it..
~~~~~
Refused his wet food with the probiotic-- went under dresser..
~~~
Came out.. went back to his bathroom.. this time lying in the tub, in-between the new box and the litter genie..
This is his 'safe spot'.. he was there the first couple nights I got him home..

I took him out of his safe spot, put him on the sink, with the door open..and started brushing him a bit.. He did not run away. He stayed.. going back and forth.. and purring.

We did not get much brushing--just a half a brushfull.. but it is a start..:clap:

Then went over to eat some dry food, and is now under my quilt..

That is our morning.. so far..
~~~~~~~~

I did notice that the area on his left ear, where I apply the transdermal Prozac is reddish.. sigh..

I am going to have to try to wipe it down with some water, and remember to sue the right ear for a while. I usually alternate them; but the past few days, it was easier to get to the left ear..

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so happy to read about the progress you two are making! It really warms my heart.
I think considering everything Geoffery has been through, its going pretty well.
We knew his settling in time would be longer, & a bit more challanging, but with a mama like you, hes doing it! :heartshape::hugs::lovecat2:
It just took a bit more patience, & understanding.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had his brush.. I closed the bathroom door, put him on the sink, and brushed him..
To my surprise, he did not protest!! He was purring!!! and loving it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
When I woke up to go to bed; I moved my feet-- and hit G!! He was cuddled right up against my feet!! on the sofa cushion..:yess:
Both signs of good news - you hit the daily double! :thumbsup:
First, succeeding at brushing G which he obviously relished, purring the entire time. And second, cuddling alongside you on the sofa. :catlove:
He obviously enjoys your company and is starting to trust you more each day. :hugs:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cindy, on our front porch we have a Welcome mat made of plastic grass. I want to say AstroTurf, but it isn't that realistic. However, the individual blades of grass on it aren't actually vertical, so the pointy ends wouldn't poke into Geoffrey's toes if you were to find something like that to use as a litter mat, and I bet it would do a great job of catching the litter that's stuck between his toes. The only problem is that I have no idea where we got it; I think some house guests left it here. I just did a search, though, and this seems to be quite similar: Evideco Outdoor Front Door Mat Pixie Artifical Grass Rug 24x16 Inch Green Gray | eBay

At the very least you can get a look at what I'm talking about.

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
As you all have been saying: one step forward, 5 steps back.. that is where we are at right now.

Geoffrey is so weird. I really wish I could communicate with him--know what is going on in his little mind.. know his background..

I agree that he never really knew how to be a cat.. With me medicating him, it is not going to happen now. He is still always so frightened.

I get a glimmer of hope: yesterday morning, he sat on his cat tree, looking out--and the sun was out!!
Then he went back to under my quilt.. becoming afraid of the world--fearful

The transdermal prozac is causing an irritation on his ears. I was alternating them, but for the past several days, the left one was easier to get to.. That one because red, inflamed, and irritated.

I wiped it down with some warm water.. and dried it.. along with the right ear. I am using the right ear, now.. for a few days. I am wiping down both ears before I dose him.

Poor thing..

He vomited some bile, yesterday. I did not notice it because it must have been during the night. It was dried on the laminate floor. I only saw it because the light was hitting the floor at a certain way.

He likes the fleece, snake wand toy, with feathers at the end of it.. G is very wary of the other wand toys--associating them with me pilling him.. poor baby.

His claws are getting long, and sharp.. the fleece from the toy, along with some of the feathers are getting caught on his claws. He will eat the fluff... sigh
So he cannot really enjoy playing with the snake toy..

This morning, it looked as if his stool was a bit softer.. still on the flagyl.. I am going to watch it tomorrow.

He is so high-strung.. so frightened. Still..

I tried to brush him a bit today--got one brush full of fur.. He was scared. I put him in his bathroom, in the sink.,..

I tried to clip a claw--but it is a no go.. The most I can manage is to get his claw out. Once he feels the clippers, he freaks... almost as if he was hurt that way..

Because of personal stuff, and being busy.. I have been forgetting to mist the rooms with Jackson Galaxy's stuff.

I do not think the Feliway is helping him.

I have to order more mist.. and spray some more.. honestly, with him under my quilt, I do not know how he is going to smell it--to get the affects of it.

Talked to Dr B's sec today.. told her all of this.. Thinking that Dr B may say: watch this week. If his stools are ok, stop the flagyl next week.. and see.. Instead of keeping him on it for a couple more weeks..

The prozac? perhaps a pill, which I can give him..

dam

Wish he was not such a tuff one.. I am really out of ideas..

I really want to know how I got saddled with another medically challenged cat? I think God, the Universe, is just telling me that I am Supposed to Get all the challenging/not normal cats...

Seriously: first cat I took home was really sick.. so sick. My mom and I had to nurse her back to health with eye droppers--thinned baby food, egg nogs, baby doll bottles--they did not have kitten bottles at that time...
Pumpkin survived.. but became a diabetic, requiring insulin shots twice a day...

The next cat, I adopted was Artie--you all know his story..

And Now I have Geoffrey...sigh...

Can you tell I am getting disillusioned?

G is requiring a ton of care.. he is such a sweet cat~~ does no bite.. does not scratch-He will put his paws up, in protest, but does not scratch, unless his nails are long or he is trying to get away...

If we can stop the diarrhea, I can probably open up the area under my bed.. I could just grab him out, when/if he comes out for food or litter box...

Although, he is only using the litter box, once a day... one huge pee clump..

Even giving him another, larger litter box has freaked him out.. man.. His PTSD is so strong..

He just withdraws..

Because the flagyl is causing him a decreased appetite, I am taking the food to him.. feeding him under the quilt or under my dresser.. not a habit I want to continue.. but.. he has to eat..

He has not lost any weight, nor has he gained any..

just venting..

On the positive note: every night, he goes on the sofa cushion, just to curl up.. and sometimes walks up to me. He begins by getting on the back of the sofa, near me..

If I am lying down, he will curl up next to my feet.. as long as the fleece throw is not covering the cushion..

I think he was grabbed with fleece, wrapping around him... that is why he is afraid of it.. I use a large bath towel.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your vet let the vet tech trim his claws for you?

Does he have a scratching post? Sweet Gum uses the sofa as her scratching post, but she has a round and round toy with a scratcher in the center of it. This one
She doesn't scratch on it, but other cats seem to like it. It's called
Bergan Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Geoffrey. I'm sure if he could just get well, and not need any medications, he would stop being so scared all the time and become a total love bug. :catrub:

But right now, he probably wonders every time you come towards him, what's going to happen now?

I feel for you with his claws. My Ruby hates me touching her toes, and right now her claws desperately need to be clipped. I'm currently wearing bandaids on 2 fingers that accidentally got in the way when we were playing last night. :sigh:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Geoffrey. I'm sure if he could just get well, and not need any medications, he would stop being so scared all the time and become a total love bug. :catrub:

But right now, he probably wonders every time you come towards him, what's going to happen now?

I feel for you with his claws. My Ruby hates me touching her toes, and right now her claws desperately need to be clipped. I'm currently wearing bandaids on 2 fingers that accidentally got in the way when we were playing last night. :sigh:
I agree. It is & has been tough for both of you. I wonder if you could put the prozac on the back of his neck, like you would a spot treatment. It would be another place to rotate to with applications. ?? Worth an ask for the vet?
I would think as long as you could get the hair parted enough to apply it, but that might just be harder. I don't know..... If not, & you switch to a pill. you could just pill him both at the same time, then you only have to deal with that, or him go through that once a day. Maybe in the morning so it is over with for the day. Then, hopefully that will make for a more relaxed evening for you both.

Yes, Sammie did not like her nails trimmed either. She would freak out with me just trying to push them out to trim. I wouldn't even have the clippers near her yet! I'd get one or two at best. I always sat her on my lap like a baby, facing forward, back against me. Then, the one & only time she let me without a big fuss was the one time I did it here, at my parents a few months after being here. I took her in the bathroom, so she wouldn't (hopefully) try to get away.
I sat on the closed toilet seat, her on my lap, she fussed a little at first, I kept calm, (& made sure I started with calm energy) kept softly saying "It's ok, you're ok."Then she was letting me! I just kept saying, "good girl Sammie." I was amazed! She let me do it!! It was the one & only time! I came out of there & told my mom a miracle just happened!! :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am still of the opinion that you are making more progress with G than you think you are. I know how confused and discouraged you get, but he DOES respond to you...he picks his time and places, but he does respond! Lord, Hekitty picks her time and places, and she's about as assured as a cat can get! Now that the bulk of the workmen in and out and the noise and confusion are settled down again, G will have a chance to relax some.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks..
Geoffrey was weird yesterday and today..
So hard to explain..

The flagyl has really helped his stools. He is solid, on a daily basis; however, yesterday morning it looked 1/2 and 1/2 with a lighter area..

Again this morning.. darker solid poop, and then a large 'plop' of lighter color.. It was so weird looking. Took a picture.

I tried breaking the plop, apart with the litter scoop. It looked like a huge clump of fur!! But I thought fur balls came out in tubes, or tied with stool???

Asked Dr B about this.. He said it can come out this way--in a plop.. kind of makes sense, since it was the same color as Geoffrey... weird..

This cat must have been full of fur!! OMG>. no wonder he had not been eating much.. I have been coaxing him.

He also passed a ton of gas last night.
But he played last night, a bit.. and again this morning.. he must be feeling a bit better..

Last night was the first night he did not cuddle with me. ... again, weird.

As I was watching TV, he was in the middle of the sofa; I was in the recliner.

He also looked out at the night, on his cat tree.

Caught him on top of a 2 drawer file cabinet, which is in front of his bedroom's window. He was just chilling out.. looking at the door, and then looking out the window.

I coaxed him onto the windowsill--it is very wide.. He came on there. He was frightened, but he did it.. That was this morning..

Later, I decided I need to try brushing him, daily.. Took him into his bathroom, put him in the sink, and started brushing.

Geoffrey was not happy! He kept trying to get away; but I blocked him. He finally had to acquiesce, to my demand, relaxing in the sink. I turned him to do the other side.. another full slicker brushfull.

Then, I took his life in my hands.. I tried to trim his claws!! OMG.. I took a towel out..

No way!! He is so darned frightened.
He is terrified of the clippers.. He really freaks out! I never saw this before..
I wonder if he has a bad association with them.. poor thing.

I managed to get 3 done.. it was a fight.. and then I gave in. I could not torture him anymore.. he was really frightened and fought.~~ no biting.. just fighting..

Now he is really hiding from me..

Giving him the transdermal was a bit of a chore. He is usually so good with it..

He has eaten really well, since he passed the gigantic fur plop today and the plop from yesterday.

His acne is back.. I hope this does not mean it is a food sensitivity..