Geoffrey ~ Diarrhea~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey had a good day today!!!! Hooray!!

Took his morning flagyl, really well~~ played a bit.. I took the wet food to him, under the quilt.. he ate so good.

I was going through my jewelry-- earrings.. He was inquisitive. He came out to 'help' me..
I was so happy..

He also took a walk around, a couple of times..

During his last walk, late afternoon; he came up to the side of my recliner.. as he usually does, for pets... I gently picked him up... no fighting.. not fearful.. did not stay long, but I was able to kiss him a few times before he wanted to leave.. and very gently...

Then he went back under the quilt.. chomping on some dry food before he hid.

I was relaxed today.. did a ton of work around here.. kept bringing wet food to him, he ate all I gave him.. and he peed late this afternoon!!

It was very quite in here. No noise.. no construction, no whirring of saws, drills.. no kid running.. a real nice day..

accomplished a lot.. a lot more to do.. but it was a good day.. first time in a very long time..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Despite all that he's going through, the stress, the pilling, and so on, he still sleeps against you.
Geoffrey has been sleeping with me, from DAY ONE! Has never allowed me to sleep alone.. I think he is afraid to be alone.

One time today, when I returned from the dumpster; he must have thought he was alone.. He came out.. looking all over.. no crying.. but really checking the place out..

I was here.. he walked by, and I petted him...
That's great, he loves you, he trusts you!
Not certain about that... but there seems to be a bit of an improvement.. perhaps the Prozac is allowing him to calm down a bit. It has been a week now, since we began dosing.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cold is your apartment? I'm thinking part of why SG spends time under the cover is we keep the temp at 68F and she wants warmer. I do too, but SG and I got out voted.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
How cold is your apartment? I'm thinking part of why SG spends time under the cover is we keep the temp at 68F and she wants warmer. I do too, but SG and I got out voted.
I keep it very warm in here---compared to what you do..

I have very drafty windows.. I am hypothyroid, along with Raynauds.. so I am always cold.. Because of the drafts, it is kept at 70-71 degrees.

When it is rainy, damp, really blowing wind, I do increase the temp, in the late afternoon to 72 degrees, but only until I close the drapes. There is no insulation in the walls..

Right now, it is 70 degrees.

There are many times, it is too warm for me.

I am fortunate that I get the morning sun.. This can increase the temp in here a full 4 degrees, when it is sunny.

It is a great looking apartment, but it was put together with Elmers Glue.. I love the space, the layout, the huge and many closets.. but construction-wise, it stinks.

You cannot appreciate how badly built the building is, until you live here for a while..

If I am able to, every day, I open my windows a tiny bit, to 'air out' the apartment from all the "apartment smells".. I love to get fresh air in here. I just need to air it out, daily.. even for an hour, in the freezing cold.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
totally with you on airing out the house everyday I can. It's good you keep it warm, not just for Geoffrey but for you. Cat do like being warm and hiding in blankets, but most that I've known have no use for sweaters.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:banana1:Yaaaaaay!!! I am doing a happy dance!
It makes my night to hear you guys had a good day! I think its a combo of all things.
The prozac, him feeling better from no more diahreea, Im sure, as well as you being relaxed, set the tone today. Its also probably the longest he's been with one person & maybe he is finally understanding that all you are doing is to help him & he is in his forever home! :D
I love that he let you pick him up for lov'ns, & kisses, even if he didn't stay long. ( Neither of mine ever did either). This is a good message for him that everytime you pick him up doesn't mean pilling. Its helping build that trust.
I am so happy! I will pray it continues! :hugs:

A neighbor 2 houses down has a kitty that looks like Geoffery, & he was out front the other day, so I went out to see him, & got some kitty love myself. I sat down on our front sidewalk, & he walked around me rubbing up against me a few times. I gave him head buts, & some kisses. It felt good to have a kitty interaction again. :)

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
FYI: We have gotten past the "wrapped in towel" phase for pilling..

Poor Geoffrey.. He had his first fur ball...
At least he was considerate enough to vomit, on the ceramic floor, next to the litter box.. and not on the rug..

Crazy cat... while I was wiping it up with Natures Miracle, G went into the litter box and peed.. weird.. he did not care I was right next to him, cleaning...

He ate good yesterday. and the fur ball... first one for him..at least here..

G is shedding a ton.. but, he is impossible to brush.. that is the next thing we have to work on.

His stool is still solid.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that some cats like other pack animals (and cats are barn cats and ferals form prides) go into the bathroom with you to keep guard while you are vulnerable. It's only natural that he'd want to take advantage of your being there to be on guard.

If he tosses a hairball on the carpet, once you pick it up, rub the spot with a paper towel with cold water. That's working fine on our cream colored carpet. I'm still wondering why the lady before us with two teenaged boys put in cream colored carpet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So happy to read that you and Geoffrey have been having some good days. Fingers crossed that the good days continue. :crossfingers:

Geoffrey really sounds like a sweet cat, and I suspect once he starts feeling better, he'll be a purr-fect companion. :catlove:

No, If I ignore G, it does not stop him from waking me up..
Believe me, I have tried. He is just so persistent.. walking all over me, sitting on me, crying in my ear.. it does not stop.. it may stop for a minute, then it starts back up again.
When I first adopted Ruby she used to start waking me up an hour or more before my clock radio came on. I would try ignoring her, but like Geoffrey, she was persistent. Eventually I got sleep deprived and started getting up and putting her out of the bedroom and closing the door when she woke me. I'd also tell her she had to "wait for the radio". After a couple weeks, I think, one morning instead of a cat waking me, it was the radio that woke me, followed by a cat galloping down the hall and into the bedroom. She'd finally gotten the hint.

So maybe once things are good with Geoffrey you could try putting him out of your room when he wakes you. Hopefully, though, he won't start scratching at the door, or worse, howling to be let in.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Geoffrey had a good day today!!!! Hooray!!
I was relaxed today.. did a ton of work around here.. kept bringing wet food to him, he ate all I gave him.. and he peed late this afternoon!!
I think this was just what you needed to happen to not only relax but see that G made a breakthrough, a very positive breakthrough. :clap2:

Whether it's the Flagyl helping, the noise level decreasing, or the Prozac kicking in, it's a welcome sign. Go with it and relish the progress. :hugs: Good luck with Dr. B, (NVet), this week. I'm sure you will appreciate his evaluation and input.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I discovered, actually, deduced, the reason Geoffrey wakes me so early. It is either because he pooped; his litter box is full, or he wants to play...

He did not wake me yesterday, but I am already conditioned to waking up early. He had pooped earlier in the evening..

Yesterday was a 'nothing' day.. did not feel well.. lounged, napped, and munched all day.. Geoffrey was in my room--under the quilt..

His decreased appetite is back.. not much yesterday and to much this morning. He used to devour his first wet food of the day; especially if it is a new can.. not today.. and not yesterday..

G spent all day, and all night under my quilt.

During the early morning, when I am up.. and we have finished playing, me giving him his flagyl, and feeding him.. he seems bored. Does not know what to do.. strange.. He has plenty of toys: a chili pepper, a sardine fish, a few balls, a tunnel, one of those ball in a track toys; I even put the small file cabinet, in front of the window, and he has his cat tree. His cat tree is in front of the balcony.. Yet, he seems bored..

He just went under the quilt, where he will remain for the rest of the day..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a TCS article that might have some tips for G
Thanks, but no...

He is not interested in a laser toy. tried it

I have a track ball thing--nope; interest was 2 minutes, and thus it sits..

I think the automatic toys would scare him.. He does not even know how to play with me..

When I try to put my finger under the sheet, and have him go after it.. he got Frightened.

A very weird cat.. I swear he has brain damage..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Gum is strange to my mind, about the lazier toy. She watches the dot in front of her paws and doesn't move. I send it slowly down the hall making circles. She doesn't move. Finally, I make it circle up the door at the end of the dark hall and she races down the hall. She smacks the door then comes half way back up the hall and waits for me to circle it again passed her and into the room at the end. More sitting and waiting. A couple of minutes later she runs to the dot, stares at it and sits down. I'm not at all sure she likes it. I think she is humoring me.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Darko doesn't seen to know how to play either. He and Tinky came to us on the exact same door. They were both on our doorstep as kittens, so we took them in. They are as different as night and day, except they are both black. Otherwise they act like different species. Just recently Darko has started playing with the track ball thing that's been in the same spot for years, and when he gets it going he really gets it going :lol:, but only for a few minutes. But otherwise he's not interested in feather toys, balls of ANY kind, ribbons that I twirl like snakes, Da Bird, any type of stuffed toys, squeeking toys, sqawking toys, even making the bed when you toss the sheets up in the air to fluff them..Tinky just loves that and Darko could care less. Tinky loves just about anything...wadded up paper, bags, boxes, a milk carton cap, you name it, he pounces. Even as a kitten Darko wouldn't play. And we never have figured it out :frown:. But he does love cuddling As to the laser, I think it helps if every once in awhile you point it to a treat, otherwise what's in it for them?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, but no...

He is not interested in a laser toy. tried it

I have a track ball thing--nope; interest was 2 minutes, and thus it sits..

I think the automatic toys would scare him.. He does not even know how to play with me..

When I try to put my finger under the sheet, and have him go after it.. he got Frightened.

A very weird cat.. I swear he has brain damage..
The girls aren't big on toys. They will play with them a few minutes and never look at them again . I got them these for Christmas and they LOVE them. They bat them around and Lilith will hold one between her front legs and roll around with it. Petco is out of them right now online but you might be able to find some in store. You can't beat the price. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/holiday-tails-jingle-bells-lattice-ball-cat-toys