Geoffrey ~ Diarrhea~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Came back home. Dr B was not impressed..
He said it is way too early to start GI testing.

Geoffrey is still NEW in my house. He has been under a ton of stress in the month before he was adopted.

He is on his "Wait and See" talk.

LTS3 LTS3 , You know that 'talk'....

The fact that consistent use of Flagyl is stopping the diarrhea, is big.

He was shocked to hear that G is on Prozac.

His game plan:
1) Stay on the flagyl for 3 more weeks.
2) Stay on the Proviable Forte (probiotic) for a longer period of time
3) Stay on the rabbit for a much longer time period..
4) stay on Prozac for a while longer..

Discontinue in that order.. and see what happens.

I do not know what he felt about the acne disappearing on its own.. It could be from stress, it could be from food.. We may never know..

He said Geoffrey is not feral.. not even a bit. He is just frightened. G does not bite, does not scratch.. just kind of shuts down during the exam..
He is frightened..

So no work up.. nothing.. just waiting to see what happens. No ultrasound.. Everything is still too new and too early for this..

I guess if the flagyl was not stopping the diarrhea; then things would be different.

Dr B said some people never know if it is IBD or just a food sensitivity.. it just happens to resolve.. but to be consistent.

Dr B gave Geoffrey a great exam.. awesome. G did not even cry..

Geoffrey did not lose any weight: 12 lbs...

I mentioned that G wakes me up every morning at 3-4am.. and sleeps with me. Dr B's response, was: Good, You have already bonded..
No words of advice about getting him to stop..

Mentioned the trying to climb walls, the biting tail.. nothing from Dr B...

Is this to be expected with a new, fearful cat.. who has been in 6 different locations in less than a month: His old home, the rescuer, the isolation area, the adoption area, and with me....poor thing..

And who knows the food situation.. poor poor Geoffrey.

Very strange.. G did not cry, once, in the car.. I think I heard him howl, but I am not even sure of that. I had the carrier covered with a blanket.

Kind of a non-appointment.. but.. at least...

Came home, G ran under my dresser.. I fed him a new can while he was under there. He was starving.. even ate a few dry..

I went back out, returned, seeing him under my quilt...
~~~~
Wouldn't you know it.. The windows, which were supposed to be in 2 weeks ago.. are being installed TOMORROW!!!

I got a phone call from the new property manager about it; as soon as I sat down in Angell's Cat waiting room.. ugh...

Seriously, can this cat have a break???

I did ask Dr Brum about this.. he said to keep G in the bathroom.. Was not pleased this is happening tomorrow.. poor baby G...

I am going to give him the Prozac in Morning.. instead of afternoon.. installment time is around 11am..
~~~~~~~~~
I was in church this morning. A church friend was asking me about him.. I told her what was going on. This is a very kind, elderly person.. who is so helpful.. She flat out told me to give him back to the shelter because this is not what I need right now..

I teared up, when I came home.. called Dr B's sec.. told her.. She told Dr B about it.. so he was ready..

Dr B did give me a hug on the way out.. and came to get me.. pushing the cat cart..

I am exhausted.. G woke me up very early for food.. I was fasting him, in case of blood testing..

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the appointment went well.
Makes sense to wait & see. I agree. He has been through a lot in a very short amount of time. That accounts for a lot.
Uhh, it does suck that they are doing the windows tomorrow, giving the prozac early, so it will kick in is a good idea.
It sucks, but at least it will be done & over with. Then, hopefully he will be able to finally settle in even more.
Just keep in mind all the progress you guys have made so far. Its been baby steps, but after all hes been through, they ate are good ones. :lovecat2: :hugs:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I teared up, when I came home.. called Dr B's sec.. told her.. She told Dr B about it.. so he was ready..

Is that why I couldn't get a hold of Jen today?? :redtongue:

I wouldn't listen to anyone who says negative things like that. Don't feel guilty about stepping back from volunteering at that shelter:grouphug: Those people sound negative and you don't need that in your life. There are other shelters in the area where you can volunteer.

Glad the appointment went well even if N Vet didn't have a lot of answers for you.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Geoffrey and a really bad day today... poor thing..

They came, this afternoon, to replace 2 large windows.. One in each bedroom. Between apartment management, the holidays, and the window company; it has been months....

I had to keep Geoffrey in the spare bathroom, where his litter box is kept.

I put his food-wet and dry.. a bowl of water.. a fleece throw, and my Amazon Alexa in there. My plan was to have Alexa play, "relax my cat'...

Things did not go as planned..

When they came in, I tried to get G out from under the quilt.. nope.. too frightened.. squirmed out of my arms.. to under the dresser... had to really drag him out.. he got away... sigh... He ended up being cornered in the area between my toilet and bathtub..

Went to put him in the other bathroom.. had door closed.. the door locked!!!! OMG.. Thank God, one of the installers, helped me get it open.. but I had to put G down..

Again, back under the dresser.. I had to drag him out, again.. he was so frightened.

Finally got him in the other bathroom.. forgot to put Alexa on.. and forgot to shut the overhead light off. I had a night light on, in there..

I wanted a bit.. went back in. he was cowering in the corner.. not on the throw..

I sat with him for a bit.. This is the only time, I have ever been able to hold him. He was great.. frightened, purring.. did not want to leave my lap.. poor thing..

He seemed calmer when I was in there.. I put Alexa on.. I decided to get his brush.. since he is shedding so much.

I went out.. he ran out!! OMG.. I kept yelling, "Cat, Cat, Cat"... as I was chasing him all over.. The 4 workmen were laughing, in Spanish.. Geoffrey was beside himself.. He finally shut down, and allowed me to pick him up...

We went back to the bathroom.. I brushed him a bit.. while he was on my lap..

I ended up dropping the throw, over the toilet, and the side of the tub.. for a hiding spot...

later on I went to check on him again.. He was under the throw.. I kept Alexa playing.

I tried to get him to eat.. but.. no, he was too stressed out to eat.. sigh..

They had a tuff time with the windows.. cleaning up the mess from the old ones...
I think it took longer than they expected..

At 5:30pm it was time for Geoffrey's Flagyl.. Darn.. had to give it to him in the bathroom. G was not happy to sit on the counter for it.. but he took it..

Finally, after 6pm, the workers left!!! But they rehung my drapes, my blinds, and reinforced the hardware!! Great Job..

As they were finishing up, the new apartment handyman came in to patch a crack, I found-- yesterday.. in the wall..
I swear this building is falling apart..

Poor Geoffrey.. I feel so bad for him.. no food eaten, no pee, no poop...frightened to death..

After I picked up, vacuumed; I opened the door. He was so frightened to come out.. and the caulking has a bit of a smell to it..
My air purifier is on...

It did not take G long to get under my quilt..

I ended up taking some food to him.. He ate, but not much.. He is busy hiding.. poor thing...

I am going to have to wean him from me feeding him.. sigh.. next major thing to accomplish..

The maintenance guy is coming back tomorrow afternoon to sand and paint the area... It never ends...

But, at least it is done, and we can; hopefully, relax a bit..

What a day...

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, what a day it was indeed!
Poor baby. Sending big hugs to both of you!! At least you got him to eat a little.
Maybe he will come out tonight when its quiet & dark, & eat some more.
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is so weird... yes, again, waking me at 3-4 AM hour to tell me he pooped. I was so tired, and he must have been so tired, that he ignored me...

I heard a crash.. wondered what it was..

I got up.. G came to me.. Turns out, he found a way to pull down the storage box covers, which are a barrier to under the bed..

I put them back up..

Geoffrey did not want to play. He was following me around, crying.. kind of like, telling me off..

Finally, I just grabbed him in my arms; sat with him, and gave him his flagyl.

He did not want to play after that. He followed me back to the kitchen.. I gave him the wet rabbit, mixed with probiotic. He turned his nose up at it..
So funny to watch all the 'covering up' actions he did..

I tried to get him to play... nope, he ran into my bedroom, where he managed to open the space, breaking the tape, in-between the lids... and ran under my bed..

I do not know how I am going to get him out.. he is stuck there..

I am going to have to try to get him out, after breakfast... I do not know how.. will need to undue a couple of sides, take my broom. If/when he comes out, I will abbe to shoo him out of my bedroom, close the door and retake everything.

He ate only a small amount of dry food during the night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hooray! I went to the bathroom, Geoffrey came out, on his own... and stayed out. I quickly resealed his entrance!!!

sorry baby.. but this is for your own good..

He is not trusting me when I attempt to play with him.. just walks around.. sniffing--the guys from yesterday...not eating.. but...
at least he is out.. and has forgiven me from yesterday..

He is really a sweet boy.. does not bite.. not at all.. and is not freaking out, when I pick him up.. I do, occasionally.. just to let him know it is ok...

Caught him on top of everything, in his bathroom.. inspecting.. Yesterday, I did spray a ton of Jackson Galaxy's Trauma mist in there..

Wondering if he is starting to believe this is his 'forever' home.. if he wants it to be....all up to him..

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, , well it all sounds good, he is getting there. .....You guys are getting there!
Now he just needs to eat. Hopefully he should be pretty hungry today to make up for yesterday. :crossfingers::)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our neighbor kitty that looks like Geoffery was just in our back yard, I called him up to the patio, & got some head buts & kitty love. Gave him some kisses too!
I was just thinking this morning that I wanted to see him for a kitt fix. ... Hows that for quick manifestation, or answered prayer! Made my day!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Our neighbor kitty that looks like Geoffery was just in our back yard, I called him up to the patio, & got some head buts & kitty love. Gave him some kisses too!
I was just thinking this morning that I wanted to see him for a kitt fix. ... Hows that for quick manifestation, or answered prayer! Made my day!
I think cats just “know” things. Like an underground communications network.

After I lost Artie, all the kitties in the shelter were especially kind and loving to me; ev the ones who were known to be feisty—they were also loving.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hooray! I went to the bathroom, Geoffrey came out, on his own... and stayed out. I quickly resealed his entrance!!!
Of course, the most exciting part of this is that HE CAME OUT ON HIS OWN! That's great news, and very good for G.

He is not trusting me when I attempt to play with him.. just walks around.. sniffing--the guys from yesterday...not eating.. but...
at least he is out.. and has forgiven me from yesterday..
He'll get back there. We all know how sensitive he is, and there have been a lot of changes since he got there. I imagine each one is a huge red flag to him right now.

Wondering if he is starting to believe this is his 'forever' home.. if he wants it to be....all up to him..
"IF" he wants it to be? Darling, everything you say tells me that he DOES want it to be, he's just going to take awhile TRUSTING THAT IT REALLY IS!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!! OMG!!!

What a Happening!!!

I took Geoffrey out from under my quilt because it was time for his evening flagyl.

He was very reluctant to leave; catching claws on my blanket.

I got him in my arms.. thinking that I should try to hold him and give kisses..

I sat down, G stayed!!! On my LAP!!!! PURRING!!!!
He stayed in that position for 5 minutes.. Then he moved down, sitting on my right arm. I kept stroking his face, head... Geoffrey DID NOT STOP PURRING!!!

He stayed on my right arm, for another 5 minutes!!!

At one point he was watching TV while I was petting him...

I was in Heaven!!!

Then he wanted down.. ok.. but I had to give him his med..

I did debate on letting him go; grabbing him later, so he would not associate my lap with pilling... but, decided against it.. I very gently pilled him.

He was so good.. even took some water from the syringe... what a good boy...

He stayed a total of 10 minutes on my lap!!!!
without a fight!! purring the entire time...

such a sweet boy.. a touch crazed, but a sweet boy...

He was going around earlier, pacing, crying.. could not understand what was going on..

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think things will be easier now that the windows have been taken care of; those drafty windows were certainly causing health and comfort problems for you; what must they have been doing to Geoffrey? Cats like heat! A warmer environment may be part of the reason he was willing to spend some time purring on your lap, and the draft may have been a very large part of the reason he's spent so much time hiding under the quilt. I assume you do have a rice sock for him?

Margret

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!! OMG!!!

What a Happening!!!

I took Geoffrey out from under my quilt because it was time for his evening flagyl.

He was very reluctant to leave; catching claws on my blanket.

I got him in my arms.. thinking that I should try to hold him and give kisses..

I sat down, G stayed!!! On my LAP!!!! PURRING!!!!
He stayed in that position for 5 minutes.. Then he moved down, sitting on my right arm. I kept stroking his face, head... Geoffrey DID NOT STOP PURRING!!!

He stayed on my right arm, for another 5 minutes!!!

At one point he was watching TV while I was petting him...

I was in Heaven!!!

Then he wanted down.. ok.. but I had to give him his med..

I did debate on letting him go; grabbing him later, so he would not associate my lap with pilling... but, decided against it.. I very gently pilled him.

He was so good.. even took some water from the syringe... what a good boy...

He stayed a total of 10 minutes on my lap!!!!
without a fight!! purring the entire time...
Yaaaaaaay!!! :banana1::clap2: I was so happy to read that he sat on your lap, & stayed! & Purring!
See. .. .Its happening!
I think he finally has been there long enough to understand its his forever home. I think him being better, is him finally settling in. :redcat:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
margd margd ,. Love that emoji! How do you get ones not from this site on? If I try to put any from my phone, it doesn't take it & stay.....
I haven't tried any from my laptop to see if it works.

Sorry for the brief thread hack.

Last edited: