Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you and hoping all is going well. I am always sure to leave dry food out 24/7 when the cat first comes inside. Yet don't leave wet food out more than a few hours at a time as it will spoil. It can take a bit for the cat to decide to eat. Has she used the litter box yet?

Also does she have a name? You might have mentioned it earlier, but I am not sure. Let use know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is awake and does not appear to be frightened. She is resting in a cardboard box that I put in there for her. She still won't eat. I leave dry out 24/7 and offer her a fresh can of her favorite wet every few hours. I tried canned tuna, too, but she didn't eat. She seems to like her room but seems exhausted.

I turned on her water fountain. I wasn't sure if it would encourage her or if the noise would scare her.

I wish she would eat. :alright:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She went wee wee! :thumbsup: A LOT! Unfortunately, it was not in the litter box, lol! I am just glad she went. I will buy some cat attract litter today.

She was the "apple" of my eye for so long, plus she is sweet like apple cake. So Apple seemed a good name. :yess:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did she go pee? Gwyneth Paltrow named her daughter Apple, I always liked that name. I've never had apple cake. It sounds delicious.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might help if you mixed some dirt from outside with the litter inside the litter box. I've done that when taking in a new feral cat, and it's always worked for me. They smell the dirt and get the message.
And give us frequent updates :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I brought my ferals inside and they peed on the floor, I sopped up the urine with a paper towel and then buried it in the box. Just a small wad with the urine. The smell of their own scent often attracts them.
I have also always used Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It works so quickly and they always find the box.
I also always have 2 boxes to start. Some feral cats prefer peeing and pooping in different boxes.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is sleeping most of the time - is this normal? I thought she would be more active. She was quiet in the night, too. I just want to know she is doing okay.

Also, should I leave her water fountain on or off? It is somewhat noisy, not sure if it would encourage her or deter her.

She is still in her cardboard box, although she has a playpen, a small condo, etc.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used a water fountain for my cats, so I don't know how noisy they are. If you're going to keep it on, maybe provide a regular bowl of water as well so she has a choice?

You've only had her for a couple of days. It's going to take a while for her to adjust to being indoors, and to living with you and the cats. If she's never been inside anyone's home before, even looking up and seeing a ceiling instead of a sky will be an adjustment for her. Is the cat condo near a window where she could look out? Most feral and semi feral cats are very quiet, nervous and cautious the first several days or even weeks inside . It sounds like she is making very good progress. She isn't crying or scaling the walls or windows trying to get out, she's begun eating, and has relieved herself. If you mix some of the dirt from outside into her litter, perhaps from a yard where you know she used to hang out, it will be something familiar to her, and help her to use the litter box perhaps. Spend time sitting in the room with her, calmly talking to her, softly singing or reading to her. Cats sleep a lot during the day even under normal circumstances. Do you have catnip toys in her room? Have you noticed if they are in different spots in the morning? My last feral kitten was still and quiet as could be during the day her first few weeks, but her catnip toys were always moved all over the room in the morning so I know she played at night. Relax, she's doing great so far.

Oh, when you say she has a playpen, what do you mean? Does she have a way to get in and out of it? She might not feel comfortable going in there if it appears confining or difficult to get out of. Maybe you could take a picture of her room and post it for us? I have a 6 ft cat tree in my safe room, which has cubby holes to hide in and also height for them to climb and feel safe.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I brought my 3 inside in December, 2 of them hid for days. It is very normal. The adjustment to inside is huge. Most likely she will be more active at night. The transition period can be months and months. When you move with her there will be another transition.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the playpen she has:

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22277

My other cats love these, so I thought she might.

She had a great night. She came out to explore with me in the room, and was very talkative (she "chirps"). She was purring and rubbing against the walls, door, etc. She is eating regularly, but never much at one time.

Still not using the litter box. I have to order Cat Attract online. I don't want to bring in dirt because people walk their dogs and I have found poo, etc. I could buy some if I can find without pesticides, etc.

I still can't pet her, but I think I will be able to soon!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Should I order the Dr. E Cat Attract (red bag) or the Kitten Attract (pink box)? She is a young cat and her paws are tiny. I am thinking she might like the texture of the kitten Attract?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have only used the regular litter. I would just get that as you will want her to use regular litter once she starts using the box regularly. If you have a pet store close, most sell it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apple seems to be doing so well. We would all love to see a picture of her if you think you can get one! I love that play pen. I have a long one I bought years ago. My cats love it. My big dog does too. I have even used it to take one of my cats outside.