Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:woo:Awww I'm so glad this thread had a happy ending to it :) SO SO SOOOO glad you got little miss Apple in the house :hyper:

When you get a chance, and of course once miss Apple is more used to her surroundings and comfortable please please post some pictures because I would LOVE to see some:angel3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just got back from another pet store, they had Cat Attract litter. I also picked up potting soil. I mixed the two when I got home. We'll see how that goes. I will put just the litter in another litter box and let her choose.

I will try to get pics tonight ...

The lady at the store said her ferals took to the box "right away". Oh, well! Hopefully, soon!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Still no sign of litter box use. Should I be concerned?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she relieving herself, but not in the litter box, or is she not relieving herself at all?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she relieving herself, but not in the litter box, or is she not relieving herself at all?
She did a huge puddle I think it was yesterday morning. I just want to know she will be okay...

:petcat:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure she hasn't peed somewhere since yesterday morning? Has she had a BM yet? If she doesn't pee by tomorrow morning you may want to call your vet for advice. It's possible she may have a urinary tract infection, which would require antibiotics. Hopefully it's just stress and the fact that she hasn't been eating or drinking much, and she will relieve herself somewhere tonight ( ideally in the litter box, but if not there, hopefully somewhere).

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is eating and drinking, so that is good. But if she has wee wee or poo today, I can't find it!

Should I buy her some smaller litter pans? She has jumbo. Maybe the sides are too high and she is not liking them?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first feral I brought inside took about 5 days to use the box. He peed in lots of other spots. Once I buried his sopped up urine in the box he got the hang of it.
My other 4 ferals have taken to the box right away. I always have multiple boxes to start with and then take them away as needed. You could get a small box and also leave the large one too. I don't use traditional litter boxes, but instead Sterlite under the bed boxes. My cats are larger so these do the trick.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news! Has she peed yet? That's the concern now. Yep, putting dirt in the litter box has always worked for me, glad you found a solution!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She hasn't peed in over 24 hours that I can tell. I hope I made the right choice bringing her in. I am very concerned, and she wasn't as "chatty" last night.

I discussed with vet this morning about SNAP test and she said a 4th cat in my living situation will be "challenging" and I should consider letting her back out. I told her no way that there is no one to care for her when I move. She said if I can arrange someone to come care for her. Seriously? I like her, but that is so unrealistic, to think I will find someone to come to my complex twice a day for the rest of Apple's life.

She is safe, but I am not sure if she is happy. :confused2:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sprinkled dirt on top of litter at first and now I don't have to use dirt.
yay! so good to hear a good story! I bet your stress level has gone down some!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give it time! Time will tell
My Walli has been in for going on 4 months she still has a ways to go.
don't give up till you try!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was Walli weeing every day when you brought him in? I don't think she has gone wee wee since Monday morning. Unless it got mixed with the soil/litter mixture and I can't detect it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let her back outside, you did all that work trying to get her inside. Are you giving her canned food? That should make her pee.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I offer her wet food several times per day, which she will usually eat at least part of it. I also give her Fancy Feast broths. She always has access to dry. I have seen her drinking water.

She has 2 litter boxes: one with Dr. Elsey Cat Attract clumping litter, the other with Cat Attract and potting soil mixed.

She cannot go 3 days with no wee. I don't know what to do. :(

Maybe she wee-d in soil mixture, I just don't know....

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, you are having a piece of cake with Apple. Many of us have gone through much, much worse transition periods when bringing feral cats into our homes. Your kitty is eating, she's using the litter box, she's not yowling or scaling the walls-1she seems for the most part content but still shy and nervous, which is completely normal. You would be doing her a very great disservice by releasing her now. There is no good reason to release her back outside, her life would be much harder. And when you move, you know you will worry about her every single day. The stress you feel now is nothing compared to what you will feel if you move away and leave her behind. I ignore people who tell me that it's challenging to take in another cat. I've taken in three completely feral cats who have adjusted beautifully, a semi-ferall, who I take for walks outside on a lead and harness to satisfy his outdoor cravings, and an 18 year old cat. One of my feral cats has a bullet lodged in her hip and is partially lame. Is it challenging at times having five cats, two with a special needs? Yes, but it would be way more challenging if they were outside and I was trying to care for them outside. I did that in the past, and it was a cause for constant stress and anxiety. So don't even think about letting apple back outside! Chances are if she pooped in the litter box, she also peed. If you're not using clumping litter, but regular litter mixed in with soil, you probably won't be able to see it or even smell it. So stop worrying about it and just enjoy the fact that she's safe inside your home with you and will now be your forever cat. Rant over lol.

**I wanted to add that it's probably unlikely that she has gone 3 days without peeing. If she had a urinary tract infection, she would be straining in the litter box, and crying. She would also be having accidents outside of the litter box. But if you are concerned, maybe you could get her back to the vet. Perhaps your vet would prescribe something to put in her food to sedate her. He would need to get a urine sample from her which he could do with a syringe. I would advise you do that if your're concerned rather than releasing her.

Last edited: