Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of you are familiar with the feral I have been feeding for several months and trying to tame because I am moving in a few months.

I probably will have to break my lease due to the "element" that is moving in and the noise levels, etc. I wanted to bring my feral with me (I also have other housecats). She has been backsliding I assume due to the chaos in the building of late. She won't eat near me, and when I put the cat trap out to get her used to it, she won't eat until I go inside.

This is going backwards because she was eating very close to me only recently. I am not sure the reason for the setback and I am sad and frustrated and I don't have much time. :frown:

I really want to bring her inside, but I don't want to traumatize the poor little thing. I don't understand why she acts like she doesn't know me anymore. :confused2:

Please, what would you all do? :cloudy:

She has been spayed, she has the tipped ear.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember when working with feral cats it's often 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Anything could have set her off. If there is chaos that is certainly the reason. She is frightened so all of her senses are heightened.

Once you bring her inside, you can certainly expect many set backs. It can take a feral cat a very long time to adjust to indoor living. I have brought 5 inside the house over the past 5 years. Some have adjusted quickly while one of mine took over a year.

Bringing her inside will traumatize her to start. Yet many can learn to adjust to indoor living with lots of time, patience and not setting yourself up for lofty expectations. It is a day by day process.

It would be very sad for you to leave her behind as she depends on you for food. If you do have to leave her, hopefully you can find someone to take over feeding her.

I do not see it as a problem that she will not eat the food until you go inside. She is eating it and for now she is frightened. The trap might also frighten her as I assume she was trapped once before. If so most cats are trap savvy and are difficult to trap again. All of the cats I brought inside, would not re enter the trap. I had to use very large cat crates.

If you do manage to catch her and take her with you, be sure you are prepared with a space just for her. This needs to be her own space. If you use a bedroom be sure the bed is picked up off the floor or placed flat on the floor. Under the bed is the first place a cat will go to hide. It's nearly impossible to get the cat out and it makes socialization very very hard.

We can provide more tips on socializing if you manage to get her. I know it is frustrating and upsetting. Yet this is her nature. She depends on her fear to keep her safe. It can get better, but it takes lots of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shadowrescue, of the 5 you brought in, were they all trapped or did any of them come in willingly?

Time is one thing I don't have. I would have moved out of here already if not for her.

I think she will go in the trap - she will eat near it, but not with me in view.

I know it will take time to socialize her once inside and that is fine - my main stressor right now is getting her inside so I can prepare to move.

I love her and want to give her a forever home - if she will let me! :crazy:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could not retrap any of the 5. I used a medium sized dog carrier and began feeding them in the carriers before I brought them inside. I tried to retrap, but all had been TNR'd years ago, but never forgot the trap. If you will go into the trap, I would start feeding her in the UNSET trap to start. Place it right inside then each day move it further back. Once she eats in the back, set the trap. Or just give it a try. Put the food in the back and set the trap. You don't have to be right there, just watching from a distance or inside.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How were you able to close the door on the dog carriers? Or were they tame enough by then that you were able to just latch it shut?

This will actually be her 3rd time in the trap.

#1 someone trapped her as part of TNR

#2 I trapped her and then released her because she was yowling and I was afraid of traumatizing her (now I know was a mistake and should not have let her back out).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was able to sit near by and gently push part of them inside and close the door. Some of the carriers I used were quite large so it was easier. I have also read of people tying a string to the door and sitting out of sight and once the cat goes inside, you pull the string and it closes the door.

I just brought 3 inside at the end of December. I had been caring for these 3 for 3-7 years on my deck. I too moved so I needed to bring them along. I brought them inside 2 months before my move. We just moved 2 weeks ago today. The 3 I brought inside are in a room of their own for now. I used a mobile vet as I could not imagine driving all 3 to a vet.

You could also look into making a drop trap. If you search online you can see how to make one or borrow one. Yet, I would just try the trap and see if she will enter it. Have you tried it yet?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don’t leave her...have you tried treats or something she really likes? Maybe a “trail “ of baby food (chicken” or good old Walmart rotisserie chicken might work?

Baby steps as much as you can with time allowed.

She sounds really sweet.

Try to understand her world with her changing attitude. How she has survived is heightened awareness about even the littlest thing

Keep us updated...we are always here for you to “vent”...frustration or fears or?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shadow, I like how you were able to get them in using a gentle push method. I would find this much preferable to the trap. I have not tried to trap her in a few weeks, when I panicked and let her go. She will eat near the trap, however. I do have several large carriers, this model:

Petmate Two Door Top Load Pet Kennel

I think I would like to try your way first, prior to the feral cat trap, which I know will freak her out.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Trudy, I won't leave her. I am just frustrated that we were getting so close and now it is almost as if back to square one.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have that same carrier, but found it too small. My cats were all males and on the large side. Here are two that I used:

It's the 26" one and I also used this one:
IRIS Deluxe Pet Travel Carrier

I would just have everything ready for her inside and try different methods. You could try the trap just to see if it would work.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One piece of advice I will add to the already excellent advice that has been given is to leave her regular bowl of food away from the trap, and put something really strong smelling and tasty like tuna fish inside of the Trap. This way, she won't go without eating if she won't enter the Trap. It would be terrible if she didn't eat because she didn't want to go into the Trap, and then stopped coming around. I've actually never had to withhold food when trapping a cat. I have always left their regular food bowl outside of the Trap, and they have always gone into the trap to get the tuna or roast chicken. Also, is there a way you can lure her into your apartment with some smelly food like tuna, and close your apartment door behind her? This is also another way of trapping her. Just make sure your resident cats are closed off in another room so she doesn't see or hear them.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shadowrescue, which door has the quieter closing mechanism, the Iris or the Ruff Max?

MsAimee, today I lifted the trap door and she ate with the food a few inches in front of it. I originally wanted to lure her into the apartment like you suggested, but she would not enter. She would sit by the door entrance outside (I could see her in the window), so she knows that is where her food source is, but would not go in. Then I worried that if she did come in, I wouldn't be able to get her into her safe room (I have 3 other cats). My preferences in order are:

#1 lure her into apartment without trapping :sunshine:

#2 get her to eat in a carrier and gently close door behind her, like Shadowrescue was able to do

#3 Cat trap, which I know will freak her out, but is probably the only way with this kitty. :frustrated:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the Ruff Max was quiet, but I had to do them by hand and wasn't trying for quiet as I was trying to be quick!

Can you tie open the door to the trap so it is fully open, but will not go off? This way she can enter safely and not have the trap go off. Then you can feed her in it for a few days before finally setting the trap. I have done this approach many times when trapping cats.

If you try to lure her into your apartment, be sure your other cats are safely put away when you make the attempts.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far so good...she has been eating directly in front of the open trap. Today I will try with the food inside the trap (but not set it yet). I am hoping to get her inside the next day or two. :hyper:

What can I expect based on your experiences once I release her into her room? Do you think she will go nuts or just hide and chill for awhile? Of course, I will leave plenty of food and water and not disturb her for 24 hrs. Unless she is yowling through the night, in which case i will not be able to keep her in the apartment. But from what I have read here, I don't think she will. :catlove:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once brought inside, it's hard to tell what she will do. I have had some that throw themselves against the window, claw and scratch at the door and yowl all night. I have had others that are so scared they just get in the hiding box of the cat tree and stay there.

Many choose not to eat for a day or two so expect that to happen. Also have 2 litter boxes for her. Most outside cats are used to peeing and pooping in different spots. She may also choose to go on the floor. I always use Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It really helps them learn the litter box.

If she does yowl at night, most will calm down if you are with them. You say you won't be able to keep her in the apartment, where will you keep her if she yowls?

Sometimes a radio or music with calming soft music helps. I have also used a sound machine. I always use Feliway plug ins too. Keeping a night time in the room helps at night too.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she has 2 boxes set up (never tried Dr E Attract, thought of getting Dr E Touch of Outdoors?). Right now, I use Dr E Respiratory Relief. She has a night light in there, a cat playpen house, and there is a walk-in closet if she feels safer in there. I put some boxes in there for her.

If she yowls through the night, I will probably have to let her out. I am in an apartment in a wood frame building with several adjoining units. I don't know what choice I would have. Or I could board her at the vets (it is a cat hospital), but only for a few days. But I will do whatever I have to do to comfort her. If she does better with me in the room, I will gladly stay in there all night with her. :itslove:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I suppose if she yowls I could just keep her until I get a notice from management, and by then she probably will have calmed down. Or, she may do just fine.

She is my little girl and I really want her indoors.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I take she’s in? Yay! You have or have not had a night yet to see how she does?

Great if she’s in.....I’m praying all will go calm and quiet for you both.

Try to calm yourself and rid any anxiety you have before going in to her.....she can sense your emotional state.

Patience and time

Keep the faith...it will work out

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience has been that females yowl much less than male cats do. She will likely cry a few times, especially during the night,. I think it would be a good idea if you spent the night in the room with her. Use a sleeping bag or bring your mattress into the room, it will calm her down. Spend as much time with her as you can. She already knows and trusts you, so it will be easier then taking in an unfamiliar cat. Also put some catnip toys in there for her. Also, you can mix a little dirt from outside into her litter. That is what I have done. Cats instinctively know to use the litter box. I forgot if you have other cats in the apartment or not. If you do, she may be comforted by hearing and sniffing them under the door. Feral cats generally feel more comfortable around other cats then with humans, at least initially. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Trudy, she is not in yet - hoping to bring her in the next day or two. She is eating near the trap and I am ready to move the food into the trap.

You are right about trying to stay calm. I am very anxious - mostly scared of traumatizing her.

Msaimee, I will absolutely sleep in the room with her if that will comfort her. That is a great idea about bringing in some dirt from outside, maybe some leaves, too.