Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is clumping litter mixed with soil, so I think if she peed I would see a clump? My concern is she will die if she is not peeing. That is the only reason I would let her out.

I am scared as I do not think she has peed since Monday morning. I could be wrong, though. I need to get rid of the soil mixture as I can't monitor her urine.

I hope you are right and see peed but I am not aware of it. :alright: It is possible....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would get rid of the soil mixture if you can. My cats are straight ferals from the woods and I didn't need to use soil, they knew what the litter was for.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just edited my last post and added a paragraph. Rather than release her outside, can you get her back to the vet to get checked for urinary tract infection or blockage? The vet could prescribe something to put in her food to sedate her and you could get her back in the carrier and he could examine her.. He would need to get a urine sample which is done by inserting a needle with a syringe into her bladder area. If she had a urinary tract infection, she would be straining in the litter box and crying, and also peeing outside of the litter box. Your other option would to see if a mobile vet could come over and examine her. I find it doubtful that she's gone 3 days without peeing. If she were that ill, she wouldn't be eating, and she would be very lethargic. At least, that's the way my cats have behaved when they've had urinary tract infections. I'm not a vet, so maybe for your peace of mind you need to get her back to a vet for an exam. Releasing her back outside would be a bad idea if she were to have a urinary tract infection, because she would need a course of antibiotics twice a day 4 about 10 days.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has not strained or seemed in pain. I spend a lot of time with her. I think you are right, though, that she must have peed in the soil mixture. She ate breakfast this morning. She is lethargic, though. But it is daytime....

Maggie, did your woodland ferals take to the litter box right away?

I will get rid of the soil mixture and put the box of regular clumping Cat Attract in its place.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please please do not let her back out. I would get a black light and see if she has peed someone on the floor. I also would look for a different vet. Yes, there will be challenges, but you need a vet that will support you. If you let her back out who will care for her? You are moving. I have brought 5 feral cats into my home. They take lots and lots and lots of time to adjust. Introductions are another matter that is far far down the road. Even if she has to have a room of her own for a long time, she is safe and well cared for. You know if you release her you will have to leave her behind.

Deep breaths. I would get a black light and look all over the place. My guess is that she peed someone and you can't find it. One of my kitties I brought inside, who I thought was not urinating had gone under a dresser. I would have never known if I didn't find it with the black light.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember this is all a huge huge adjustment for her. I brought my latest 3 in on Dec 26, 2017 and they are still adjusting. I too made a move and that was another adjustment. Every new thing is an adjustment for them. It recently warmed up and I turned on the ceiling fan. They freaked. When looking out the window, if they see people, they freak.

I also just went through one of them having a UTI and taking him to the vet. It was not fun at all. He had to be sedated. He also must have picked up something there as once home and feeling better, the vomiting and diarrhea started. It cycled through all of them. It was an awful ordeal.

I just know that having them inside and safe is the best for them. I previously lived in the middle of suburbia. Yet we had so much wild life. I had wireless ip cameras so I could keep an eye on them. About a year ago the coyotes started coming into my yard. It was starting to happen 2-3x per week. I was petrified. All of them had very close calls. Of course they also had to deal with cars and the dangers of humans. Now I live in the country and wild life is even more prevalent. Some days they may seem sad or not as perky as usual. Yet I know they are safe with me and the adjustment will just take lots of time.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The black light is a great idea. Yeah, I was surprised the vet said that about releasing her - was a relief vet, not my usual vet. I think she just meant 4 cats in an apartment could pose serious challenges. But I won't let her out, unless her health is in danger, such as not peeing. I will keep checking and give you all an update...she is still sleeping right now.

Thank you for your support, not sure what I would do without this site!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be sure to take her to the vet if she is not peeing. Don't let her back out. First get a health check up.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has never been touched. I just don't know how I would do that. Even with meds. She would have to be sedated, like yours.

Shadowrescue, how did you do this? Did they give you meds to put in his food or did he get a shot once he was there? How did you get him back in the carrier after having trapped him? What about when you moved?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She has never been touched. I just don't know how I would do that. Even with meds. She would have to be sedated, like yours.

Shadowrescue, how did you do this? Did they give you meds to put in his food or did he get a shot once he was there? How did you get him back in the carrier after having trapped him? What about when you moved?
I used a blanket and was able to put it over him and put him into the carrier. He was not happy, but I had no choice. I covered my body except my hands. I cannot wear gloves as I find it really restricts my movement. I didn't get scratched. He wasn't feeling well so it might have been a bit easier.

He was given an antibiotic shot. I too could not give meds at this time. They did give me some pain medication and I had to put that into his food.

The sedation was not difficult. I had to leave him there for a few hours. They put him in a cage and then used a divider to keep him still. It was a mild sedative .

For my guy, he was peeing all the time. It was lots and lots and lots of little tiny pees. It was every 20 minutes. I was so worried. My feral that I brought inside last year had a urinary blockage. This is most common in male cats. I was so freaked Hampton was blocking too. Fortunately he was always able to produce urine.

I just try to do the best I can for them. They may not get vet care like my other inside cats, but at least they are safe inside and I don't have to worry about them hiding from me if they are injured or ill. I could have never left them behind when I moved.

It has not always been easy. I just try to take it little by little. No lofty goals. Just day by day. Celebrate the small steps. That can be when she uses the litter box, eats all her food, plays a bit, meows, etc.. Don't look too far ahead as it can only seem daunting. Just day by day.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I last had to take my feral cat Mia to the vet, I had quite the ordeal. She's lived with me the past four years, but doesn't like to be touched. I can handle her to groom her and trim her nails, but that's about it. I made the mistake of grabbing her without gloves to put her in the carrier, not anticipating that she would freak out when she saw the carrier, and she bit my hand really hard, and of course it got infected. So I would advise that you wear very thick work gloves. If you use a towel with the work gloves, you should be able to grab her and get her into the carrier. Position the carrier vertical, with the door on top and you can just drop her in there. When you get to the vet, they can unscrew the sides of the carrier and remove the top and sedate her in the carrier that way. I think almost all pet carriers have screws around the side that you can twist off and remove the top. This is how the vet was able to sedate her to take X-rays, blood work, etc. One other thing, the vet will ask you if you want the cat to be given medicine to be revived from the sedation. I would advise that you say yes. I said no, and Mia was out like a light for about 8 hours. But before you do that, make sure she hasn't peed somewhere, hopefully she will pee today and you won't have to go through the vet ordeal just quite yet.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has only been inside 3.5 days and has never been touched. I would not try to grab her, even if I thought she would allow it. I'll keep my eyes out for pee, but I am thinking she went in the soil/litter. She is sleeping and occasionally pokes her head out to eat a bit.

I am restricted financially, too, and still paying off my other cats PU surgery from last year. At this point, I think she just needs to get used to the litter box. I don't know why this process has been longer for her. Maybe Dr. Elsey Touch of Outdoors litter would be better?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She has only been inside 3.5 days and has never been touched. I would not try to grab her, even if I thought she would allow it. I'll keep my eyes out for pee, but I am thinking she went in the soil/litter. She is sleeping and occasionally pokes her head out to eat a bit.

I am restricted financially, too, and still paying off my other cats PU surgery from last year. At this point, I think she just needs to get used to the litter box. I don't know why this process has been longer for her. Maybe Dr. Elsey Touch of Outdoors litter would be better?
I totally get that. My boy had PU surgery last year too. Almost a year to the date. It was so expensive. It also was a nightmare. So you get why I was freaked when Hampton was peeing over and over and over. I am sorry you had to experience the PU surgery too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have out for her? Some cats like to pee in one and poop in another. Maybe put another litter box with just litter, but still keep the one with the soil that she pooped in.

How long since you found the huge pee puddle? And how long had she been inside before you found it?

I've never tried to socialize a feral, so I really don't have any idea how you're feeling, or how stressful this is. But, I have read several threads by members who have brought ferals inside, and it is completely normal to feel you did the wrong thing and want to let them back out.

But that vet was wrong to suggest releasing her, especially if he knew she'd have no one to take care of her once you move. As long as you can get her to eat, pee and poop, that is enough for now.

And if it turns out 4 cats is too many, you can always look for someone to adopt her once you have her socialized.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the PU was a financial nightmare, and that was after several previous trips to the ER where they had to run a cath. I am just glad he is okay now.

Apple has 2 litter boxes. Ruby'smama, I agree - if she is eating, peeing and pooping, that is good enough for me!

She just ate the Fancy Feast broths packet, licked the plate clean. :yummy: I don't think she is sick. She MUST have gone wee since Monday. She seems too relaxed.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Should I remove her kibble so she will be hungrier for the wet meals or continue to leave dry out 24/7 (supplementing with wet every few hours)?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would still leave kibble out, but maybe only a small amount. Keep offering her wet food. The Fancy Feast broths packs are a great source of liquid.

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am at almost 11 weeks with my feral inside. I also have never been able to touch her, and it has been 10+ years since I first saw her. She, Tabitha, fortunately used the litter box right away, I used regular clumping scent free litter, and put some leaves from where she pooped outside on top . Don't know if that mattered or not.
Tab was doing well in her adjustment until a sudden change, and she started withdrawing from then on, and I had no idea why. She stopped washing, lost interest in her cat buddies, etc. I finally got a home security camera and was able to see what she did at nite. Initially she had been going out of her room at nite meowing all the way, then after her change I didn't know if she did at all. But once I set up the camera I could see she was still going downstairs, but her gait was horrible. It was impossible to see what is wrong with her of course, but I could see that something was wrong and at least I knew where to start. Because of that I started her on prednisolone, and she has markedly improved in 3 days. She is much brighter, and now I see on the video of her nightly jaunts she is walking normally, following the other cats, washing, etc .
But, my point is, if you can afford it, get a home camera! Then you can watch exactly what Apple does, if/where she is peeing, if she roams her room when alone, etc .It is great to see what you are missing!! Mine was about $40, has no monthly fee for recording, it sends notices for ANY movement it sees, and keeps a 24/7 recording for 4 days before recording over it. I can give you more info on it if interested - from someone who completely understands the anxiety involved in loving our cats .

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully the diagnosis came from a vet as well as the prednisone. I too use wireless ip cameras to monitor my ferals. It is how I knew my boy had a UTI. I saw him using the litter box 15-20x per night. They can be very helpful.