Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, she would not be safe inside without all the help from this site! You guys ROCK! I could NOT have done this without you! :goldstar:

She had an amazing night - got frisky around midnight, literally turning herself inside out, rolling around on her back like she used to do outside. :woo:

I guess the next step is to get her tested before introducing her to the others? Vet said can lie dormant for 3 months. Did you all have your ferals tested and then retested? I don't want to keep her cooped up, but I will if I have to, I guess. In the unlikely event she tests positive she will still be my indoor kitty, but I will have to keep them separate.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you previously have her tested when she was spayed? I had mine tested in late January. They had been inside the house for almost 5 weeks. Since I had 3 of them, I used a mobile vet. I had one test positive for FIV. He is my second feral with FIV. It does not freak me out at all. All of my cats are neutered and FIV is transmitted through a deep penetrating bite. Most cats will not and do not bite that hard once neutered. My vet did not recommend separating from my other cats at all. Now FELV is a different story. It is very contagious through shared grooming, eating and litter boxes.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn't the one that spayed her, she had the tipped ear when I first started feeding her.

Yeah, FELV is the one I worry about. I am relieved to hear the kitties can live together with FIV and non-FIV kitties, I wasn't sure about that.

I guess she will need full sedation, as no vet will be able to touch her, even if I can find one that will do a home visit. :angrycat:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You never know. When I used the mobile vet, only one had to be sedated. The other two were able to be wrapped in a towel. She then did the exam, blood draw and vaccines. Make sure you can do it all in one visit.

I would give her time to adjust before rushing to the vet. I still had to have my 3 in carriers when the mobile vet came. You might want to keep feeding her in the carrier so when the vet visit comes, it won't be so hard to get her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can still begin introductions by using a baby gate and allowing them to be able to view and smelll each other without direct contact. You would need to supervise this, and keep the cats from jumping the baby gate. You can also begin to do scent swapping by leaving something of hers with your resident cats, and something of theirs in her room, such as a blanket.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, I would like her to get acclimated for at least another week or two. But she needs to be tested soon so I can start to socialize her with the others. The scent-swapping is a great idea, I had not thought of that.

Yeah, she has been sleeping in the carrier, so that part will be okay - I'm just afraid she will have serious panic on the way to the vet. :help: Maybe I can give her gabapentin first, if I can sneak it in her food.

When you say one had to be sedated, was it quick like an injection? Did it completey knock kitty out or just make her groggy? How long did the effect last? My regular vet is about a 15 minute drive...

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you about my experience with my feral kitty, Mia. She has not been socialized as completely as the other three ferals I took into my home, because of some medical issues, and the fact that someone had shot her with a gun when she was a kitten, she's had an extremely difficult life, and a low trust level for humans.. She will allow me to handle her to groom her and trim her nails, though she doesn't like it. I had to take her to the vet last summer to x-ray her hip to see if the bullet lodged in her hip had become problematic, also to get blood work done. The vet had to remove the top of the pet carrier by unscrewing the plastic screws around the middle, and that's how she gave her the shot of sedation. I don't know what the drug used was, but I can look it up later on. It really knocked her out. At the end of the tests, the vet asked whether or not I wanted them to give her another injection to revive her. I said not to, and Mia was knocked out for about 8 hours. So if I were you, I would ask the vet ahead of time if she can give something to Apple to reverse the sedation before you bring her home. It's a bit anxiety-producing to see your cat knocked out for such a long period of time. By the way, you will want to get her a rabies vaccination. It is required by law in most states. After the initial one-year vaccination, most vets will agree to give the 3-year shot. If Apple ever got outside again, and bit you, or if a bat ever got inside your apartment and your cat got hold of it, you will want peace of mind to know that she has been vaccinated. You will want to get the SNAP test, which tests for both feline leukemia and feline HIV (FIV). If she hasn't been given a dose of Frontline Plus yet, you will want them to give her this so you won't have a flea problem in your house. After all this is done, you can relax and have complete peace of mind. All cats hate vet visits, but they all forgive and forget within a day or two.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the sedation, it was a mild/moderate sedation. It was just a needle poke and it took about 20 minutes for it to fully take affect. It didn't knock him totally out, it was just very groggy and able to be handled. After the exam, blood work and vaccines, the sedation was then reversed so he could fully wake up. Yet, he was still groggy most of the day/night.

If you do take her to your vet, just cover the carrier with a sheet. This usually quiets them right away. I did use gabapentin when I moved with my 3 and it definitely took the edge off. Yet, one of mine refused to take it.

When I brought my first feral inside, almost 5 years ago, he did not need sedation either. I was positive he would. I used a carrier to feed him in for weeks, then got him to the vet easily on the morning of the appointment. My vets were great and agreed to do his exam, blood work, tests and vaccines spread throughout the day so it wasn't too overwhelming. I just dropped him off. That was easier for me. I told them that they could sedate him if needed. He never needed it. He did just fine. He was scared, but compliant.

You just never know what will happen until you get Apple there. It's best to just have good communication with your vet. Schedule a phone call before hand to discuss your concerns and options.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like our cats had the same sedation, except you had the common sense to get it reversed before taking your cat home, and I didn't. It took 15 minutes for the sedation to take effect with Mia, and she wasn't totally unconscious, just out of it. The vet told me she would revive on her own within 2 hours, but that was not the case. It was a bit scary for me. I guess each cat is different in terms of how sensitive they are to sedation. I I think it is definitely a good idea to ask for the reversal.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So just so I am clear, you both were able to at least touch your ferals prior to the vet visit? Or do I have that wrong? Apple has never been touched. If she won't even let me touch her, I can't imagine her with the vet. But I could be wrong. I am really relieved to know the sedation worked so well and that it can be reversed!

Poor sweet Mia, how amazing that she now loves and trusts you after such an experience....! Cats never stop amazing me.

Shadowrescue, yeah, I will get the vaccines. My main concern is the SNAP test though, so I can expose her to the others. Yes, flea meds are a MUST! She is always scratching! I have flea meds, but can't administer them to her. There is a chewable, but not sure how well it works...

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you given her Capstar at all? That is what I have given Tabitha once a week outside. It only kills the live fleas, but that is the best we can do when we can't touch them .Then I gave it to her a few times after coming in, and I see no signs of fleas .
I may get her to the vet one day, but at this point it isn't really an option. The boys in the house lived outside with her before I brought them in last year (and I found at least 2 of the 3 are fiv+) so I am not concerned about diseases, and I don't do immunizations.
One thing I thought of today, and I thought was worth mentioning - last year I put a new chair on my front porch where Tabitha's stuff was, it took her about 2 months to finally lay on that chair . So thinking about how long it took to just adjust to that, think about what happens when we being them inside. Everything changes for them! It's An entire new world for them, so no wonder it can take a good long time for them to adjust to that and really come into who they are as an inside cat - even if some do forever remain untouchable.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that she is starting to play! She is feeling safe. I know you are nervous about taking her to the vet. I still get that way too. Sometimes they get upset but I have yet to take one who didn’t forgive me. In fact they are usually just grateful I have brought them home. I have done many rescues and too many vet visits to count. I have not had to sedate a kitty to transport yet but if I felt the kitty needed it , I would. It would all depend on the individual. I have brought them home and had them act nervous again. I just make sure that they are comfortable with me before I take them. When we return from the vet I spend some quiet time with them and give them a favorite treat. If they enjoy a particular toy we might play with that for a while. If they want to hide for a bit that is okay too. I just leave them alone, but check in every now and then to reassure them that I am still there for comfort. I do isolate my new arrivals. I can assure you that it is worth the extra time. I had some who did test positive for illness but none to spread it to others. I was very glad I had done the isolation. I have kept all the kitties who tested positive and those who remained timid but have been able to get most adopted. I started with 76 but there are only a few left outside. I am working with them now. As I write I am sitting in the dark getting to know a Mom and her kittens. I just got to rub one baby on the tummy and Mom is laying beside me. With any luck they will soon be doing as well as your new arrival. Trust your instincts. I have been following your story and your instincts have served you and this kitty well! You are doing great! :yess: Please keep posting!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am able to handle Mia when I need to, though it stresses her out. However, the day I took her to the vet, I didn't anticipate her freaking out when she saw the pet carrier. She ended up biting my hand rather hard, and my hand became infected and required antibiotics. I should have used my thick work gloves, but she had never bitten me before. Since your kitty goes into the pet carrier on her own, you should have no problems closing her in there and getting her to the vet. Covering the pet carrier with a towel will help her calm down, especially during the car ride. Once she is at the vet, they can administer the sedative to her while she is in the carrier. Does the top of your pet carrier come off? Mine has plastic screws around the middle that can be undone so the top part can be lifted off. Then you hold her in the carrier with a towel over her while the vet quickly administers the sedative.

Taking any of my cats to the vet is stressful for both of us. But it must be done, it's part of being a good cat parent. The cats always get over it. When you get home you can have a nice glass of wine, and give Kitty a food treat. :)

While she is sedated, the vet can administer Frontline, which is effective for 30 days. It's more effective than Capstar because it kills flea eggs and the entire cycle of fleas for a month. I tried Capstar once, and it made my cat jump around kind of crazy while the fleas were jumping around on him, for a half hour. It's better than no flea treatment at all, but not as effective as Frontline.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is doing great and I am glad I trusted my instinct to bring her despite being in an apartment with 3 other cats - it won't be easy, but I don't think she would have survived the summer. It's already in the 90's here. :petcat:

Yes, her carrier that she likes does open on top, enough that the vet could stick her arm in and give her a shot. I just want them to be able to do a blood draw for the snap test. That is my #1 concern right now, I need to know if she is healthy for the sake of my other cats. Feline leuk is my main concern. Of course, she would still my indoor baby, but she would need permanent separation from the others.

She is fully litter boxed trained and uses one for poop and one for pee, lol!

So my plan goes like this: Does this sound okay?

1) Try to let me pet her in the next few days (she comes witin inches of my hand, meows and looks up at me)

2) Get rid of potting soil/litter and get her to start using the regular litter

3) Arrange for SNAP test, etc, in about 2 weeks? Is that too soon?

4) If Feline leuk is negative, begin introductions through pet gate

5) Bring in one cat at a time into safe room to begin personal introductions

6) Release into the apartment :bunnydance:

7) Moving end of September, hopefully she will be fully socialized by then. If not, she's coming anyways! :tabbycat:

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is doing great and I am glad I trusted my instinct to bring her despite being in an apartment with 3 other cats - it won't be easy, but I don't think she would have survived the summer. It's already in the 90's here. :petcat:

Yes, her carrier that she likes does open on top, enough that the vet could stick her arm in and give her a shot. I just want them to be able to do a blood draw for the snap test. That is my #1 concern right now, I need to know if she is healthy for the sake of my other cats. Feline leuk is my main concern. Of course, she would still my indoor baby, but she would need permanent separation from the others.

She is fully litter boxed trained and uses one for poop and one for pee, lol!

So my plan goes like this: Does this sound okay?

1) Try to let me pet her in the next few days (she comes witin inches of my hand, meows and looks up at me)

2) Get rid of potting soil/litter and get her to start using the regular litter

3) Arrange for SNAP test, etc, in about 2 weeks? Is that too soon?

4) If Feline leuk is negative, begin introductions through pet gate

5) Bring in one cat at a time into safe room to begin personal introductions

6) Release into the apartment :bunnydance:

7) Moving end of September, hopefully she will be fully socialized by then. If not, she's coming anyways! :tabbycat:
Sweetblackpaws, I’m a few steps ahead of you with a feral cat I brought in this winter. He stayed in my basement for 4 months before I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago. Taffy Tabby lets me pet him, but would never let me handle him at all. Like you, I was very worried about how I would get him there and how it would go with the vet. The vet gave me Gabapentin and it worked really well. I started giving him empty pill pocket treats a few days before the vet visit and then put the powder from the Gabapentin capsule in 2 pill pockets. He ate one, but not the other. He’s very wily. :-) so I put some more in his canned food. An hour later he was groggy enough that I could pick him up by the scruff of his neck. My husband brought the cat carrier over. At that point he struggled a little, but we managed to get him in without a single scratch or a bite. He slept the 1/2 hour trip to the vet. I think if I had waited 1/2 hour or more longer to put him in the carrier, he wouldn't have struggled at all. We left him with the vet who sedated him for the exam. He cleared all his feline tests, got vaccinations and had 2 teeth removed. We picked him up late afternoon. He was very groggy the rest of that day, but he’s doing fine now. I understand your concern about the vet trip, so I wanted to share my success story with you.

Also, about the litter box. Taffy Tabby didn’t have a clue about using a litter box until I put dirt in, too. I slowly introduced regular litter by mixing it in with the dirt gradually until it was all kitty litter. I had to do the same thing with my other feral kitty, who is now completely socialized. The gradual addition of kitty litter worked for me twice. I hope the same for you. Good luck!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is all very encouraging! I do have gabapentin for travels (I won't travel without my cats unless just for overnight). I think I will do a trial run and see how she does on it. I will do the pill pocket that you describe. I usually mix it in a teaspoon of wet food and stick in my cats mouth, but obviously with her that is not an option. :eek:

I feel better after reading these posts. The only downside is my time constraint since I am moving in September, I want to have her SNAP tests done soon. Fortunately, I don't fly, so I don't have to worry about airline clearances.

After reading about everyone's vet experiences with ferals, I feel MUCH better and confident she will do okay. :vibes:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She hardly comes out of her carrier. I wish I could know if she is happy. She gets a little frisky at night, but not for long. I know I worry too much, but I still am not 100% sure I did the right thing. I know she is safe, but not sure she is happy. :(

Is this behavior typical of when you bring in a feral? She never tries run out of the room when I come in, she just doesn't budge. She will come out of her carrier and eat when I offer her fresh food.

I love her and just want to know that she is happy.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have exactly the same concerns that I have with my feral kitty. That she is getting frisky at night is a good sign. Taffy Tabby spends most of the day in his "safe place." I was thrilled when I caught him on the kitty cam playing with a toy mouse. He was also starting to swat at the cat dancer before I took him to the vet. He's understandably extra cautious after the vet trip. He has never come to me, but is happy to accept treats and be petted by me.

I'm going to say the same things that many others on this site say, and that is it takes a long time for feral cats to adjust to being inside. Since you went to so much trouble to trap her and bring her inside, I'd follow through with your plan to get her checked out by a vet and give her a chance to have a safe home. But I completely understand your doubts. I have them, too.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am at almost the 5 month mark and my boys still hide a lot. Are they happy, I don't know. Yet, they are well cared for and safe. I would never ever put them back outside. I am considering building a catio for them so they can get some fresh air in a controlled space.

Just take one day at a time. Lofty goals of what is going to happen when will only make you feel very sad day to day. Feral cats work on their own time frame. It is often one small step forward and then 2 steps back. When I had to take my feral to the vet a few weeks ago for UTI, he regressed for over 10 days. He only hid. Just take one day at a time. Keep visiting her as often as possible.

If you can find a special yummy treat that she loves that might help. I used to take a piece of boneless skinless chicken breast and cook it plain. I would then take small pieces into the room each time I went. I would offer some. Each time I came into the room, I would shake the baggie it was in. My boys learned to know the sound of the bag and look forward to me coming in. The key is to find what she likes.