Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SHE'S INSIDE!!! I just got her!!! :yess: :hyper::D

She only yowled for about a minute. She is scared, though, hiding behind her playpen. Should I stay in here with her or leave her alone for awhile??? She is very quiet right now - is that good or bad???

I could not have done this without you all. I would have lost hope. :bouquet:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quiet is good. She may stay quiet or go through periods of yowling a bit. It just depends on the cat. Be sure you have plenty of food out for her. Both wet and dry. Leave the dry out 24/7 for awhile as she may not eat for a day or so. It all just depends on the cat.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Carrier. It was not so bad, she likes the carrier (well, at least until today, lol!). :noway:

Just checking on her - still in the same spot, food looks untouched. I hope she eats by tonight (I have wet and dry out). :happycat:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't panic if she doesn't eat for the first 24 hours. Chances are, however, that she will eat during the night when no one is around. How are your other cats responding so far? Are they sniffing under the door or playing pawsies with her under the door? Chances are she may find comfort in their presence. Put some catnip toys in her room, there's a chance she may begin to play with them and it will give her something to do. It's been my experience that female feral cats are quiet when trapped and placed inside in s safe room, as opposed to male cats who fuss much more. Don't forget to give her treats. In about a week you can start to try to engage her with wand toys and Laser toys. You are off to a good start!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boy cat was nosing under the door! The girls do not seem to be interested. :sleep2: I am glad you brought that up because I didn't know if it would stress her out or comfort her.

I will go bring her some more toys! She actually has moved a little further behind the playpen, so I imagine she won't come out for a few hours. I guess I will go do my errands.

I have the lights off and the blinds up. Should I lower the blinds and give her more darkness for right now?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a night light in all my rooms. It provides enough light for them (and me) to not be in total darkness, but it has a soft soothing glow.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good job! :thumbsup: I'm so happy you got her inside! :woo: :clap: :clap2: :banana2:

I have no experience with ferals or strays, but have been reading these threads for a while, so know her progress is likely to be 1 step forward, 2 steps back. But don't despair, or consider letting her back outside, even though the thought will likely run through your mind. You just have to remember you're doing what's best for her, even if she doesn't realize it yet. :catlove:

I'm sure you've read these, but in case you need a refresher:
Handling Feral Cats
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

:goodluck: Keep us updated on her progress. :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you! Awesome job! It takes a special effort to do what you have done. She is safe now. No more chaos in her life. It may take a little while and she may have a few conversations with the other kitties to establish her place in the order of things but it will settle. Once she is secure with her home and room mates you will find she becomes a part of the family. Just give her some time to herself and let the others get to know her through the space under the door. You will probably she her showing interest in the kitties on the other side. That is the first step towards introducing her. Sometimes other females will be aloof or even fussy. Each one will want to be top female cat. As long as you give them all love and play peacemaker, if needed, she will be accepted. You are the key to all the kitties. They want your attention and love. As long as you continue as you are, loving and patient, all will be well. Thank you for what you are doing. Also, thank you for letting us all breathe a sigh of relief that you saved her. I think everyone who posted to you put a little of their heart with you. We all wanted you to triumph and knew you could! I know it was tough but you hung in there. Rescue kitties and rescuers everywhere applaud you!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you still planning to move soon? Hopefully you'll be able to handle her by then. Sending prayers your way for smooth transitions.

One thing I forgot to add. When my newly adopted feral kitties cried during their first few nights, I spent the nights with them in their safe room, sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor. It seemed to help them.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had a good night, only crying briefly at one point in the night (for a few minutes and calmed down when I spoke to her soothingly).

My concern is she has not eaten. I worry about hepatic lipodosis as I recently went through that with one of my girls. It's only been 24 hours, but if she doesn't eat by tomorrow morning, I will be worried. :confused2:

She is sleeping in different areas, so she seems to be exploring, which is good.

I am still nervous as I want her to feel safe - and eat! :hangin:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't feel you need to be worried about her not having eaten yet. Outdoor cats, especially feral cats, can go a few days without eating, they are not as pampered as indoor cats. When I brought in my 3 month old feral kitten Harry, he sat on top of the air conditioner in his safe room pretty much for 3 days without eating. On the third day I mustered up the courage to pick him up off the air conditioner, and to my amazement, he allowed me to hold him and pet him. Then he began eating and has been a loving cat ever since. I was very nervous at his lack of eating, but as I said, feral cats can tough it out, they aren't always able to eat everyday. Leave some cat treats out, along with the dry food, and a few times a day put some tuna fish with tuna water in her room. When she's alone for a few hours, she will eat eventually. She is not going to allow herself to starve to death.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding the cats on opposite sides of the door? Maybe if she saw him eating, she would eat? Do you have a gate you could put up?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She knows to eat, and if her food bowl and food is the same as always, she will eat. Right now she's very nervous, and my guess is that a cat's system is similar to to that of ours. We tend to lose our appetite when we are very stressed or upset, and if we do eat we may throw up or get diarrhea, so our temporary loss of appetite is nature's way of protecting us.. I can almost guarantee you this will pass. Just leave the food out 24/7, and give her plenty of time and space. Perhaps move her food bowl to a more secluded part of the room where she can eat in private. But whatever you do, don't panic and release her back outside. I was tempted to do that with my kitten, Harry, when he didn't eat the first three days. I am so very happy that I didn't do that, because I would never have caught him again. He's been with me now 5 years and is very happily socialized and adjusted. So just hang in there with her. If she hasn't eaten by tomorrow, call your vet. He or she can prescribe an appetite stimulant. Ask for what is called a pill gun. It is a little plastic syringe device that you put the pill in. You would have to scruff her from behind her neck and use the plastic syringe device to pop the pill down her throat. You would need to wear thick work gloves. But I really believe she will likely eat before tomorrow, and that won't be necessary. But it is preferable to releasing her back outside. So hang in there.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you describe the set up you have for her? Sometimes cats (even tamed ones) won't eat for a day or two after relocation and even more commonly they can hold out on moving their bowels for quite a while. But you should be putting out very tempting food for her. Tiki cat and chicken baby food (no weird stuff added- just jars of chicken) or canned chicken or tuna work well.

I've never ever had an issue with a cat having an accident. They all seem to take to litter boxes but describing your set-up will allow us to know if there is anything about it that might scare her off.

I'm so glad you got her inside. Now you just need to keep her inside. Google some deep breathing exercises and practice patience because you will need it but it could work out wonderfully if you are willing to give it time.