Can't Tame Feral...i Am Near Tears...need Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I hope you are right and she will love her new home. I have read different stories on here - most of the ferals taken in do adapt to being loving house kitties, but a few never adjusted. I like to think she will adjust since she is pretty loving already - I have never heard her hiss and she rolls on her back, but the fear overcomes her when I get too close. I can see she is a loving cat already. :redheartpump:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who knows, maybe you made the right call. Maybe she would have gotten hurt throwing herself against the trap. I never got the chance to try a trap because I did it the same way you are doing it, taming them first, then bring inside. I'm kinda glad I did it this way. If I ever had to use a trap, I would probably throw a blanket or sheet over it to calm them down. I put a sheet over Demi's carrier when he went to the vet and it helped.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, that was something I did not do the first time - I didn't put a towel over the trap. Actually, it was her second time since someone caught her at some point to do TNR. So technically, this will be a third time she will be getting into something. No wonder it is taking so long! She is no dummy! :nono:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think we are ready...she still doesn't like my hand near her, but I am pretty sure I can close the carrier door at this point if I do it quickly. She is very comfortable in the carrier at this point.

I realize I get only ONE chance at this, so I want it to be perfect. :goodluck:

Funny girl, I think she is still hunting! I swear I saw what looked like a piece of feather in her mouth and she was trying to spit it out, like "pfft pfft yuck", lol! I feed her every chance I get and she still is hunting? :ruminating:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been following this thread for a while, but don't think I've posted yet.

So wanted to delurk to say GOOD LUCK !!!!

:catlove: :hearthrob: :redheartpump: :heartshape: :goodluck: :heartshape: :redheartpump: :hearthrob: :catlove:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea!! Good news that she is ready. Calm breathing. Also don't set yourself that you only get one chance and it has to be perfect. If you don't get her the first time you try, just be calm and keep feeding her in it.

Once inside, do be sure you are prepared. Most of mine have thrown themselves against the window, yowled, scaled the walls, climbed curtains, etc.. all trying to get out. This will be hard for her and adjustment may take awhile. I so wish there was a magic formula. Some will adjust so quickly while others needs lots and lots of time and patience.

The 3 I brought inside in December are adjusted to inside life. Yet they are all still in their safe room. They are meeting my other 3 cats as well as getting some time out of their room. It is all just a process.

I just know this will all turn out well for you!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, if you just brought them in December, it sounds like things are going great! That is not much time at all!

Should I have the window blinds up or down in her safe room?

Should I release her from the carrier immediately upon entering her room, or leave her in it for a little while to get acclimated to her surroundings? I am inclined to want to let her out immediately.

Thank you for the encouragement, I am a Nervous Nelly and I know she can pick up on that! :fear:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have our window blinds permanently up, with the cords tied up, open just enough on the bottom for the cats to sit and see out of, but people can't see in too much. Most of our windows have window seats in them for the cats. When I had the blinds down, they would bash on them, like smack smack smack, open this blind so I can see out. So we just leave them up. :D

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been taking care of the feral boys for 5-7 years. They knew me well. I could only pick up one of them, but I could pet them all. Years and years of work. Yet they had never lived or spent any time in a house.

I keep my blinds up permanently too. Cords and strings all out of reach.

I would let her out right away. No need to contain her. I stayed with each of mine for a few minutes to be sure they were safe and settling down a bit. Once calm, I left for a bit. I needed to be sure my heart stopped trying to jump out of my body! I went back in frequently to check and then later to offer food. No one ate the first day, but that is expected.

I played soft harp music for awhile. It helped them a bit. After a week or so, I went to a soft rock radio station. I wanted them to hear other voices. They freaked at first and hated it. I kept the volume very low. It did help them to adjust to voices.

I had them inside for 7 weeks and then I moved 45 minutes away. It was my reason from bringing them inside. It's a bit easier this time around since I have done this twice before. It also just depends on the personality of the cats. Time and patience is your friend.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So when is “T” day? Have you decided?

I know you’re going to be all worked up but try to remember...this is just a point in time. Thirty minutes after it’s over and done you’ll be saying “why did I get all worked up about this?” Guarantee.....I know and we all do because we have gone before you on this journey

Will be praying for a calm spirit, patience and a willingness on her part to be that baby you want her to be. So deep slow breaths and know we would all do this for you if we were there.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, so now I’m worried. To keep me from the nerve meds......please give us some news!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! :hellosmiley: I had a delay due to her getting spooked from some construction around the complex. I was waiting until I got her inside but I should have kept you all posted! :bouquet:

I am hoping and praying this will be the week! It is pretty quiet around here lately, and I have not seen that dog, either.

She is doing great and eating well! Thank you so much for checking in! I will give you an update in the next day or two! Hopefully, it will be to say the catch was a success! :catlove:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Trudy, if the catch is not successful this week, I will need some of your "nerve meds", lol! :sunshine:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patience is key. I am dealing with traumatized rescues myself. I find that if I go out in the dark, especially if it is quiet, they are much more receptive to everything. Trust is so imporatant and you have gotten that. The chaos is the issue. I have often used a cat carrier and played a game with the kitties. It is called chase the food I toss in the carrier. I make sure they are used to my slow toss and that I toss to the carrier in front of me and not at them. I give them a sniff or a taste of the treat by dropping a piece near them as I walk past. They look to see what I dropped. I sit near the carrier and remain still except for the toss. I talk to them while I do it in soft and coaxing tones. I tell them how beautiful they are. I let them get used to going in for the treat but I do not move. Over time they understand it is a good place to go. Then I move closer to the carrier each night. Finally theckitty is comfortable with going in AND with me being near. Finally I make sure the kitty is in the back of the carrier and quickly close the door but immediately talk to them with the calm and quiet tones. They may be startled but usually they are just jumpy as I pick up the carrier to bring them in. I bring them in to a quiet room where I sit still and let them out to investigate. I prepare ahead of time by putting food, litter box( leaves are a good and familiar thing especially if they have the kittys' scent already on them) and a place to hide that is comfortable. I am almost always amazed at how grateful they are to come in. Even the ones that start out scared have always adapted. Since the end of last year I have brought in, calmed and adopted out 36 cats and kittens. All are coming from an area where they are shot at, chased with ATV's , hurt and see others killed. They start out terrified and with little confidence in humans. Please, please don't give up. It can be accomplished. Follow any tip here that you think might work. Use your instincts and the feel you get from the cat. You can do it! Keep posting with updates please!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are so right, I DO believe she trusts me and the problem has been the chaos in the complex - that is the perfect word! Between the big dog that the neighbors were walking at all hours, construction in the complex and kids running up and down the stairs, seems no time is ever "perfect" to catch her and she has never really been on a true schedule because no one else in the building is on a schedule. :runaround:

I need to stop waiting for the "perfect" time. I am just scared, she has come so far. No, I would never give up on her at this point. I consider her to be my cat. :petcat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your instincts are good. You will find that moment when everything just works. Slow and steady wins the race! I love with chaos all around and yet these cats put their trust and their lives in my hands. Their babies as well. I am officially up to 38 saved. Your kitty will put her paws in your hands when the time is right. Hang in there! I very much want to hear that she is with you. I am looking forward to that post and I know it will come.