What's the weather and temperature like where you live?? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TabbyShorthair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heavy rain and floodings. Not windy just know but they are announcing 100 km wind for this evening until tomorrow morning. Unusual warm temperature continues - 24°C - 75°F in the middle of our winter! Flooded areas with some 3500 people evacuated throughout the country.

My heart goes to the people in Texas and paricularly to our members from that zone. How is it going for you Mother Dragon and Orange&White? Sans doute there must be others but not all the members indicate their location.
Weird The sky is usally clear at night but cloudy during the day

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 66 right now and raining. It started about 2:00 this morning and we are suppose to get 2/5 inches today along with some strong wind.

Muffy

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Gloom, fog, wind, and low 60 temperatures. :sigh: But this is supposed to be the last day of that--sunshine and high 70s are predicted for the rest of the week. :hyper: :sunshine:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavy rain and floodings. Not windy just know but they are announcing 100 km wind for this evening until tomorrow morning. Unusual warm temperature continues - 24°C - 75°F in the middle of our winter! Flooded areas with some 3500 people evacuated throughout the country.

My heart goes to the people in Texas and paricularly to our members from that zone. How is it going for you Mother Dragon and Orange&White? Sans doute there must be others but not all the members indicate their location.
Don't you have a typhoon headed your way? Stay safe.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yesterday ended up bein sunny and hot 80. this morning 46.i love it. today supposed to be 78. I wish it stayed like this forever. clear skies, no rain until sunday. had to water my butterfly bush from drooping-we need rain-send some here!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It finally stopped raining. The sun is shining.

Our house was high and dry. We only had about 22.21” of rain. We never did lose power, thank goodness, but all the internet, home phones and TV went out for about half a day. We actually had to think! I’m glad we didn’t need all those supplies.

About 3 p.m. Monday we heard a tremendous crash outside, followed by a steady rumble. We instantly knew that was NOT a good sound. We looked out the bedroom window, or at least tried to. There was a tree just outside it that wasn't there before. An enormous limb, about 20' long and full of branches and foliage, had fallen. Amazingly, it fell parallel to the house and the only damage we can see is that it took down part of the gutter. The rumbling we heard was the water coming out of what was left of the gutter and hitting a trash can below. I was afraid it had taken down the chimney, in which case we'd be in real trouble. Not only would we get water in the house, but those dad-ratted wasps would probably be stirred up. The window wasn't broken, either, and there appears to be no roof damage. That tree has been dropping limbs (there's another big one along the fence) and has been slow to leaf out for several years. I think it's time for it to go. I just hate losing trees. However, I hate losing roofs, chimneys, windows, and houses even more.

The damage to the city and surrounding areas is unbelievable. It’s like Noah’s flood without the two-by-two animals. Many people are in shelters and won’t have any place habitable to go back to. A lot of businesses are in the same situation, which means people won’t have jobs to go back to, which in turn means no money to fix the houses. Many of the rivers and creeks are still rising and they had to open the flood gates at two of our reservoirs before they broke the levees, adding a lot to the flooding problem. Downtown Houston, where there’s nothing to absorb the water and two big bayous to flood, had just under four and a half FEET of rain.

I try to understand it,, but it's truly incomprehensible. Places I know well just aren't there because they're covered with several feet of water. Freeways have vanished, not just the overpasses, but entire roads. I-69 had stings of those massive concrete barriers that define the median washed into big arcs across the highway.

Good samaritans tried to rescue cattle and horses but I'm sure many didn't make it. Most shelters wouldn't accept pets, so there are huge numbers of abandoned dogs and cats that need rescuing. They get short shrift when so many humans are still being rescued. It's sad.

Now we’re going to have a massive explosion from a chemical company that lost its generators due to flooding. They have chemicals that have to be kept under 50 degrees or they explode. The access is still very flooded, as are the warehouses where the chemicals are kept. A 1 1/2 mile area all around the plant has been evacuated and will continue to be until the explosion is over. They say it could be up to 6 days before it blows. There have already been two small explosions, but apparently the one to come will be huge. They simply can’t get to the chemicals to do anything about them. The company is saying “Sorry ‘bout that, but they’re going to explode and there’s nothing we or anyone else can do about it.” Crosby is about 45 miles from here, thank goodness. Imagine the double whammy of having your house flooded and then blown away. Crosby is far from an affluent town to begin with.

My heart is broken to see what's happened to my beautiful city and all the people who live here. I feel so helpless...

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Our house was high and dry. We only had about 22.21” of rain. We never did lose power, thank goodness, but all the internet, home phones and TV went out for about half a day. We actually had to think! I’m glad we didn’t need all those supplies.

About 3 p.m. Monday we heard a tremendous crash outside, followed by a steady rumble. We instantly knew that was NOT a good sound. We looked out the bedroom window, or at least tried to. There was a tree just outside it that wasn't there before. An enormous limb, about 20' long and full of branches and foliage, had fallen. Amazingly, it fell parallel to the house and the only damage we can see is that it took down part of the gutter. The rumbling we heard was the water coming out of what was left of the gutter and hitting a trash can below. I was afraid it had taken down the chimney, in which case we'd be in real trouble. Not only would we get water in the house, but those dad-ratted wasps would probably be stirred up. The window wasn't broken, either, and there appears to be no roof damage. That tree has been dropping limbs (there's another big one along the fence) and has been slow to leaf out for several years. I think it's time for it to go. I just hate losing trees. However, I hate losing roofs, chimneys, windows, and houses even more.

The damage to the city and surrounding areas is unbelievable. It’s like Noah’s flood without the two-by-two animals. Many people are in shelters and won’t have any place habitable to go back to. A lot of businesses are in the same situation, which means people won’t have jobs to go back to, which in turn means no money to fix the houses. Many of the rivers and creeks are still rising and they had to open the flood gates at two of our reservoirs before they broke the levees, adding a lot to the flooding problem. Downtown Houston, where there’s nothing to absorb the water and two big bayous to flood, had just under four and a half FEET of rain.

I try to understand it,, but it's truly incomprehensible. Places I know well just aren't there because they're covered with several feet of water. Freeways have vanished, not just the overpasses, but entire roads. I-69 had stings of those massive concrete barriers that define the median washed into big arcs across the highway.

Good samaritans tried to rescue cattle and horses but I'm sure many didn't make it. Most shelters wouldn't accept pets, so there are huge numbers of abandoned dogs and cats that need rescuing. They get short shrift when so many humans are still being rescued. It's sad.

Now we’re going to have a massive explosion from a chemical company that lost its generators due to flooding. They have chemicals that have to be kept under 50 degrees or they explode. The access is still very flooded, as are the warehouses where the chemicals are kept. A 1 1/2 mile area all around the plant has been evacuated and will continue to be until the explosion is over. They say it could be up to 6 days before it blows. There have already been two small explosions, but apparently the one to come will be huge. They simply can’t get to the chemicals to do anything about them. The company is saying “Sorry ‘bout that, but they’re going to explode and there’s nothing we or anyone else can do about it.” Crosby is about 45 miles from here, thank goodness. Imagine the double whammy of having your house flooded and then blown away. Crosby is far from an affluent town to begin with.

My heart is broken to see what's happened to my beautiful city and all the people who live here. I feel so helpless...
Oh, My heart really breaks for all of you people down there.. I feel so helpless. I honestly wish there was something I could do to help..

Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with all of you... I have been watching CNN with tears in my eyes and flowing..

I know some of those animals will be rescued. There are many rescue organizations helping... I would love to sen Artie's rejected food, but, I cannot afford the shipping for
5 cases of food.

As far as supplies.. I hope you guys get all you need, and all the volunteers for clean up..
This is going to be a massive undertaking, and will be an enormous timeframe for completion, if ever..

So sad..

Sending hugs, love your way... I cannot imagine being in these dire circumstances..

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You can come stay with me if need be.

PEOPLE ON THE EAST COAST: Irma is supposed to be a category 5 and hit next weekend.
Please be safe.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
You can come stay with me if need be.

PEOPLE ON THE EAST COAST: Irma is supposed to be a category 5 and hit next weekend.
Please be safe.
Thank you..I will stock up today... I have plenty of water, peanut butter, should pick up more cat food. I have all the supplies, in case the electricity goes out.

Just have to pick up some meds for Artie.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We are having a heat wave in California this weekend. On the coast, we're looking at 'only' 90ºF but everybody else is going to be getting triple digits.

IMG_1677.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Was cool in NH this morning. 48. I LOVE it. I run hot so this is perfect. Woke to honeybee on my chest keeping warm which made me sweat lol.

I just texted Jon to go get us some bottled water, nuts, crackers and peanut butter. We can live on nuts and crackers no problem. I got gas stove so can cook still but I rather not deal with perishables during a storm. I am sure he will stock up on candy bars...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly where it's supposed to hit, I just know the east coast.

It's hot here again. Somewhere around the mid-high 90's. But with menopause, it feels like 150.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
It was 51 degrees when I woke up... Brrrrrrrr. Fall is definitely here. You can feel it in the air, see it in the sky and clouds.. yuck..

I do not think they know what the path of Hurricane Irma will be. It is too far away to call...

I do have plenty of water, pb, crackers.. just have to get some more nuts.. I also have several apples..got a few more can so fat food today.. and more early next week, along with refilling an Artie prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.