At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's sunny out today and is supposed to be in the 40's. :) :sun:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's sunny and 52 degrees F.  New Year's Day around here is not usually this pleasant!  

mykittyjinx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same here, it's sunny and 44 degrees which is warm for January here. Im loving it. [emoji]9728[/emoji]️[emoji]128526[/emoji]

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
53 degrees, misty, foggy. Just a stay inside and veg out kind of day!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking here about how humid air really is, we always are given relative humidity, but that is not very good for indicating how moist air is at different temperatures.

Grams of water per cubic meter of air is measurement that can be compared within different temperatures.

Example, here temperature outdoors is now -7.4C (18.7F) and relative humidity is 98%, moist/damp you say? There is 2.6 grams of water per 1 cubic meter of air.

If you have temperature of 20C (68F) and relative humidity of 15% that is same 2.6 grams of water per 1 cubic meter of air, so it is equally moist/damp.

Example 2, if there is -20C (-4F) and relative humidity of 70%, there is 0.6 grams of water per 1 cubic meter of air, compare that to how at 20C (68F) relative humidity should be less than 4% for air to be equally dry.

Dry air makes cold easier to tolerate, but lips and skin suffer, during the summer it is then our high humidity that makes especially night time hot (to us) temperatures be so hard to tolerate, also it would take 4-6 weeks to get used to those temps and it is rare to get more than 2 weeks of those higher temps.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
33 degrees F with a bit of rain and a high of 39 is forecast. We must have had a bit of a freezing mix earlier this morning because PennDOT was out by the house again when Rick was outside with The Beast. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is warm this morning after waking up to a hard frost yesterday. It is supposed to be raining here for the next two days. That will make walking hard to get in. :nod:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First snowy morning this winter! My daughter cleared the path while I was still in bed! The sun is now shining, the snow has melted from the trees so it's no longer so pretty. 1° C - Germany, NRW

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Dark and gloomy but not that cold - 43 F.  [emoji]128168[/emoji]   A good day to stay inside with the kitties and putz around getting stuff done.  
   Or not.  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dark and gloomy but not that cold - 43 F.  [emoji]128168[/emoji]   A good day to stay inside with the kitties and putz around getting stuff done.  :sleep2:    Or not.  
Same as us though iPad says it is now 34 degrees. LOVE this winter so far. No snow on the ground & none forecast. I can do this!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is snowing here, temperature is falling very fast 14.7 degrees (-9.6C) now, it was only 57 degrees indoors at the morning, not cold at all for wake-up, found one kitty from my armpit, 3 more around my legs.

e: Outdoor air is quite dry, with 2,35 grams of water per 1 cubic meter of air, relative humidity is 95% which might fool one to think it is not dry, but at this temperature there can't be moist air, water is going to freeze and fall down as a snow. It is already at 14 degrees ( -10C), west wind and east wind are at collision right here, so we are going to get some snow here too, tomorrow twice the cold of today.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rain, rain, and rain. Pouring right now. I'm not complaining as desperately need the rain. We are in a drought watch and everybody has been asked to try to conserve at least 10% of water usage.

Temp is currently about 38 F. It is to really tumble tomorrow and into the weekend. And to become very blustery again.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Temp is now -15.2C (4.6F) with bit of wind feels like temp is -23C (-9.4F), not so nice weather for motorcycle ride, but I might go for a bike ride.

Humidity is 1.2g/m3 that means it is equivalent of 20C (68F)being 7% humidity.

When I woke up it was 15C (59F) indoors, there was 22C (71,6F) when I went to bed though, so building is not holding heat too well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 1 degree right now :/. Windchill of -20. I went shopping in Sioux Falls, and stopped for gas. I didn't put my gloves on because I hate to make them smell like gasoline. Usually I'm fast enough that it doesn't matter. But I fumbled with my credit card and had to do it twice, so my fingers were numb before I got back in the car. . .brrrr!

Tomorrow's high temp is 9. Thursday's high temp is 6. It should be back in the 20s by Saturday.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As temperature did fall to -1.5 degrees, I noticed that cat food is running low, so took my motorized 2 wheel ride and rode 25min trip to grocery store that sells food their royal highness-es accepts for eating, it was quite cold, but mostly toes were freezing, 4 thick layers of pants and 5 thick layers of jackets did help to keep cold away of course, negative side was that turning head was nearly impossible as well as bending body, I guess some really expensive fancy clothes would do better, but who really can afford such easily 4 figures!

Smooth ice on roads, also nice breeze, feels like temp was -17 degrees, of course as I was riding towards the wind half the way, that did add up a bit.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
After reading all of your bone-chilling temps, I hate to complain that we've dropped from 60-ish down to 31 this morning!!!

It made me cold reading the last few posts, gave me a shiver!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sunny and 10 degrees but with the windchill -8, supposed to get up to a whopping 17 degrees this afternoon.
  Remind me why I live here, lol.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading all of your bone-chilling temps, I hate to complain that we've dropped from 60-ish down to 31 this morning!!!
It made me cold reading the last few posts, gave me a shiver!
I'm not sure if there really is too much of difference from 60 to 31 and 31 to 0, drop always feels cold at first, then after a while one gets used to new normal.

I had to visit outhouse (this is quite rural area, but I use dry toilet and it is at outhouse, we are not that much behind rest of the world!), temp had fallen to -6 degrees (-20F with windchill), but as it is a short distance, I thought that I don't bother putting all the clothing, so I sported slippers, short underwear and t-shirt for my trip, I did forgot that it is quite windy... Let's just say that trip was bit longer than anticipated and I might not have that kind of sports again, after all it is our first day of these temps and it takes time to get used to them.

Only 0.7g of water per 1 cubic meter of air now, that is equivalent of 4% relative humidity at 68 degrees, anything more than 10 minutes outside and I put face mask on breathing starts to hurt otherwise.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Partly cloudy and 78.5 degrees. The usual. 
Rubbing it in, are you?   
   [emoji]127958[/emoji]​ [emoji]127754[/emoji] [emoji]127940[/emoji]​   

I really shouldn't complain.  It's sunny and 54 F here in Maryland.  

Status
Not open for further replies.