What's the weather and temperature like where you live?? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Windy and rainy, followed by a Category 3 hurricane that will stall and hang around for about five days. A minimum of 25" of rain and probably more like 35". We're on the dirty side of the storm. Oh, don't forget the high probability of tornadoes, too.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a suburb of Los Angeles, and we are expecting a heat wave, starting Sunday, August 27, through Friday, September 1. Temperatures will be anywhere from 103 to 109 (39-43 degrees Celsius) during those days. Southern California Edison better have a lot of electricity available because all 20 million people in the Greater Los Angeles area are going to need it to run air conditioners, swamp coolers and fans! It is cloudy and pleasant at the moment, with a high of 92 today, and 98 tomorrow.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
92 is 33 degrees Celsius, and 98 is 36 Celsius, for those outside the United States. Yes, it's a dry heat out here because we are in the desert, but 109 (43 C) is still extremely hot. We get humidity from Mexico from time to time, but it's nothing compared to what those living east of the Rockies get during the summer.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to all of the people in harm's way of Hurricane Harvey.
It just hit 60°F a couple hours ago, probably around 63 now. Looking forward to snow soon.. well maybe I'm a little in over my head.
I love the cold winters and (most usually) hot summers in PA.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm out of harm's way with Harvey, but still expecting up to 15 inches of rain in the next 48 hours, strong wind advisory and flooding. Barely outside the significant danger zone.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We're in suburban Houston, so we didn't take a direct hit - yet. However, the storm is predicted to loop back into the Gulf of Mexico and then hit us directly. So far, the rain here has been moderate, about 2.25" since 4 p.m. Friday, but other nearby areas have had 6"-9" and it's still raining. Not much wind at all so far. The bad stuff is supposed to get here on Monday, mostly extremely heavy rain, up to 25"-36". We had 36" with TS Allison and it wasn't pretty. Priceless things were lost as well as homes, cars, property, and of course, people. Once was more than enough.

Right now everyone has made preparations or evacuated. People here were told to shelter in place. The main roads are clogged with those who were in the direct path. Quite a few of the city's streets are already flooded. No matter how they build them, all the underpasses flood deeply. And every time, some idiot drives around the barriers and either floods his car and has to be rescued or drowns. It seems sort of like a "Here. Hold my beer and watch me go through this." mentality.

There are an exceptional number of tornadoes around here, too. So far, no one killed but I expect it will only be a matter of time. Mobile homes and metal buildings don't mix well with tornadoes.

Anyway, we're hunkered down and ready to ride out the next five days.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume you're doing alright then, too. :) What is going on down there? I heard Corpus Christi is under feet of water! Hope everyone is doing alright, wow.
I can't imagine how bad it is south and east of here. :(

We've had 7 inches of rain, plus more on the way, and very strong winds for two days (nothing compared to Southeast though). There were 600 area road closures earlier today due to flooding, but it looks like now the number is finally decreasing not increasing.

Saw a hint of blue sky around sunset, so hopefully the worst is over.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine how bad it is south and east of here. :(

We've had 7 inches of rain, plus more on the way, and very strong winds for two days (nothing compared to Southeast though). There were 600 area road closures earlier today due to flooding, but it looks like now the number is finally decreasing not increasing.

Saw a hint of blue sky around sunset, so hopefully the worst is over.
Alright, that's good. Hopefully everyone down there is doing alright.

Being from Pennsylvania I don't know a thing about hurricanes.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely not getting better here in the Houston area. Massive flooding continues and most roads are impassable. If you somehow manage to get onto a freeway, the chances are you're going to get stymied by a deeply flooded area. Then you can't get off either because the side roads are even deeper under water.

The water is getting into more houses and people are being rescued by those who have flat-bottomed skiffs, pontoon boats, or canoes. One guy paddled his kayak to safety. We watched on TV some people who used an empty refrigerator as a float. They can't get people out fast enough. The shelters won't allow pets, so some people are refusing to leave. Animal Control is accepting pets at the shelters, but the last time that happened, a lot of pets got lost in the shuffle and were either sent to other shelters or euthanized. People who had surrendered their pets never saw them again. Some high-water rescue trucks have arrived but even they have their limits. The Coast Guard helicopters are picking people up as fast as they can, but their capacity for each trip is limited.

The really frightening part of all this is that they're now predicting as much as 50 inches of rain and maybe more by Wednesday. At our house, we've only had about 14" so far, but other areas of the city have had well over 20". A lot of parts of what is now the city used to be rice fields, and they sank another two feet due to subsidence from ground water pumping. They flood when someone spits.

The Gulf Of Mexico has been blown inland by the offshore circulating winds. This means the numerous rivers and bayous can't drain into it, so water is backing up. Add to that all the water that's coming downstream, and the water simply has nowhere to go. The reservoirs are all overflowing and they're just starting to open the flood gates to keep the levees from breaking. The result? Even more and deeper flooding.

There have been over 150 tornado warnings issued, but only a handful of funnels confirmed, thank goodness. They keep popping up. Last night we got a new warning about every 7 minutes.

I've been through a lot of hurricanes in my many years, even several category 4 and 5. Although this one hasn't much wind, the extreme duration and unbelievable amounts of rain make it perhaps the worst I've ever experienced.

All we can do is "hunker down" and wait it out.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All we can do is "hunker down" and wait it out.
The morning news people are definitely talking more about Houston this morning than they are about our own area. It's awful. I hope your property continues to keep you safely on higher ground.

:grouphug2:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live outside of DC and it is 67 now and is suppose to go up to 79 today. At last some nice weather. I hope the heat is gone for this year. Looking forward for the fall and the snow.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are under a tropical storm watch. The wind is blowing hard with rain and lots more wind to come before this clears out of here.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavy rain and floodings. Not windy just know but they are announcing 100 km wind for this evening until tomorrow morning. Unusual warm temperature continues - 24°C - 75°F in the middle of our winter! Flooded areas with some 3500 people evacuated throughout the country.

My heart goes to the people in Texas and paricularly to our members from that zone. How is it going for you Mother Dragon and Orange&White? Sans doute there must be others but not all the members indicate their location.

Status
Not open for further replies.