My little Pumpkin died today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with the vet who did Pumpkin's heart tests and he confirmed what the other vet told me. I didn't doubt her word, I just wanted a second opinion. He was better able to explain how quickly these things can happen in cats.

I am still trying to reach my contact at that shelter that was going to accept Pumpkin's leftover unopened food and litter. They haven't returned my calls or emails, so if I don't hear back from them by tomorrow, I will reach out to the shelter I mentioned that has foster pets.

If they can't take it, I will offer it to Pumpkin's vet.

You'd think the first one would have gladly accepted this offer and came already to pick it up. I am baffled.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The date which you received is definitely the original date from Pumpkin's care, not an estimated birth date which would prove anything. My vet does the same thing with an estimated age and date, but it is not an official one. I have only owned one animal in my life who had a true birth date...a GSD puppy from a high kill shelter and the only reason they knew his birthdate is that the "owner" who had carelessly allowed the male and female dog to breed knew that the puppies were born on a certain date and when he turned them in at 3 weeks old, he gave that date.

I have had cats and dogs with pre-existing conditions, but it does not prove anything about abuse or treatment unless there was extremely clear knowledge of abuse, such as a witness or rescue/AC who intervened. I had a small dog who had a BB in her leg, which certainly did not implant itself there, but it becomes water under the bridge and you just move forward with the care that you are planning on giving to the animal in their new life. One place you don't need to invest your energy is in thinking about the previous owner, if there even was one.

Heart conditions are precarious in humans and animals. There are often no signs and even clear tests can prove nothing. Cardiovascular disease is still the leading cause of death globally in humans, many of whom possibly have been under care for the condition.
I have my suspicions about who may have had Pumpkin before me but I can't prove it. That he was neutered and declawed before I got him proves he once had a home but I've got no other clue about what happened there. I didn't have the guts to bring up what happened to that missing tooth that I was told Pumpkin used to have and always wondered how it happened, I shudder to think about what he went through before I got him,

I have trouble with letting go of my anger against his previous owner because no animal deserves to be abandoned or abused. Pumpkin was a sweet heart. And my best friend and the love of my life. There may be other cats after him in my home but they will never replace him in my heart.

I don't know how long it will take to get myself approved for foster care. There's a lot of red tape I have to go through first. If I do get one, I'll be sure to tell that kitty all about his/her big brother Pumpkin.

Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes shelters don't have the manpower to deal with things as quickly as you might expect. Out here, many are understaffed and run mostly by volunteers.
I was under the impression that given by what that woman and I discussed, she would get back to me quickly. Hopefully she will get back to me soon.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have my suspicions about who may have had Pumpkin before me but I can't prove it. That he was neutered and declawed before I got him proves he once had a home but I've got no other clue about what happened there. I didn't have the guts to bring up what happened to that missing tooth that I was told Pumpkin used to have and always wondered how it happened, I shudder to think about what he went through before I got him,

I have trouble with letting go of my anger against his previous owner because no animal deserves to be abandoned or abused. Pumpkin was a sweet heart. And my best friend and the love of my life. There may be other cats after him in my home but they will never replace him in my heart.

I don't know how long it will take to get myself approved for foster care. There's a lot of red tape I have to go through first. If I do get one, I'll be sure to tell that kitty all about his/her big brother Pumpkin.

Thank you!
I don't blame you about having anger towards whoever had Pumpkin and abandoned him. My (now passed) Papillon Tag came from a puppy mill. I don't know which puppy mill, but, he was taken much too young from his Mom, and was shipped to my area far too young. I always pictured this lonesome little puppy on this truck meant for hauling livestock, not knowing what was going on and missing his family. I wonder what hell his Mom and Dad lived in. I wonder how long they lived, and if they ever found families of their own, and I wonder about his litter mates and hope that they had long, happy lives.
I sometimes wonder if that puppy mill is still in business. I very much hope not.
I was also thinking about you're either adopting or fostering a cat earlier today. IMO, you would be a perfect fit because you're devoted to your cats, and a quiet cat who wants their "special person" would be so lucky to have you. A lot of cats aren't sure about being in a busy house hold with people coming and going nonstop, lots of noise, etc. Those cats would do so well with you.
When the right cat comes along, I'm sure he or she will find you, just like Pumpkin did. IMO, those things aren't an accident or coincidence, because Pumpkin surely wouldn't have survived without you.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Vet seems very understanding and offered support to you,willing to answer any of your questions and give explanation for whatever you've asked do I'm sure you needn't be concerned with these things,I'm certainly not saying it doesn't or didn't happen to @Meowmee,that's an unethical and awful thing that happened-sad state of affairs

In my own experience and after years of being in the medical field (first humans & and
then animals)before changing professions I never heard of such dishonest conduct ....

I can't sleep with this throbbing leg and was thinking about you-I hope you were able to get some sleep after we last spoke

How's the tummy ,has it calmed down at all?
I am glad you’re not saying it didn't happen, because it did happen. 3x now to me and my cats- it is not just unethical, it is abusive & it is legal medical negligence- none of the dvm ever had any consequences for their negligence or abuse.

Except that my father called the dvm who wrote a bunch of lies about me on the necropsy report for Angie( none of which would have had any consequence to their findings/ report) yelled at her, and had her in tears. I thank him now for that at least.
I thought that she was a good doctor & person as I did with one of the others but I found out she was nothing of the sort, and she was willing to lie on a report to malign me to try to make herself and the clinic look better. People like this often cover up what they really are until shtf or someone pushes back.

She then lied to another customer a few years later about convenia, she had pushed it on them and that person’s cat died needlessly. If I had written a review at that time it might have saved her cat.

That is great that you never experienced but it doesn’t change that things like this happen in people medicine daily. Maybe one day I will write a book about it, I have more than enough material for that with three cases of clear medical malpractice and other abuses in my family alone.

Sometimes these negligences are purposely covered up. My uncle saved a patient’s life when he was a med student- the patient almost died due to the superior doctor’s negligence. He stayed with him for two days caring for him. When he wanted to report it later, a senior hospital official told him not to because it would ruin his career as a doctor so that was never even reported.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad you’re not saying it didn't happen, because it did happen. 3x now to me and my cats- it is not just unethical, it is abusive & it is legal medical negligence- none of the dvm ever had any consequences for their negligence or abuse.

Except that my father called the dvm who wrote a bunch of lies about me on the necropsy report for Angie( none of which would have had any consequence to their findings/ report) yelled at her, and had her in tears. I thank him now for that at least.
I thought that she was a good doctor & person as I did with one of the others but I found out she was nothing of the sort, and she was willing to lie on a report to malign me to try to make herself and the clinic look better. People like this often cover up what they really are until shtf or someone pushes back.

She then lied to another customer a few years later about convenia, she had pushed it on them and that person’s cat died needlessly. If I had written a review at that time it might have saved her cat.

That is great that you never experienced but it doesn’t change that things like this happen in people medicine daily. Maybe one day I will write a book about it, I have more than enough material for that with three cases of clear medical malpractice and other abuses in my family alone.

Sometimes these negligences are purposely covered up. My uncle saved a patient’s life when he was a med student- the patient almost died due to the superior doctor’s negligence. He stayed with him for two days caring for him. When he wanted to report it later, a senior hospital official told him not to because it would ruin his career as a doctor so that was never even reported.
I would report this vet to your states veterinary licensing board. That is so beyond unacceptable, and I'm sorry that happened. :(

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't blame you about having anger towards whoever had Pumpkin and abandoned him. My (now passed) Papillon Tag came from a puppy mill. I don't know which puppy mill, but, he was taken much too young from his Mom, and was shipped to my area far too young. I always pictured this lonesome little puppy on this truck meant for hauling livestock, not knowing what was going on and missing his family. I wonder what hell his Mom and Dad lived in. I wonder how long they lived, and if they ever found families of their own, and I wonder about his litter mates and hope that they had long, happy lives.
I sometimes wonder if that puppy mill is still in business. I very much hope not.
I was also thinking about you're either adopting or fostering a cat earlier today. IMO, you would be a perfect fit because you're devoted to your cats, and a quiet cat who wants their "special person" would be so lucky to have you. A lot of cats aren't sure about being in a busy house hold with people coming and going nonstop, lots of noise, etc. Those cats would do so well with you.
When the right cat comes along, I'm sure he or she will find you, just like Pumpkin did. IMO, those things aren't an accident or coincidence, because Pumpkin surely wouldn't have survived without you.
That was very kind of you to say. Thank you!

If I do get another kitty, they - like their older brother Pumpkin - will be spoiled (oops...I mean pampered) rotten! lol....and I will be sure to tell them all about him. I have lots of red tape to wade through before this can happen but if it does, I will let everyone here know.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been exactly one week since my baby left me. I am hurting a lot, When the clock hit 1:45pm, the time he died, I couldn't stop crying.

It still feels like it's my fault even though I did everything possible to help him. I always tried to protect him. I made sure he stayed safe and didn't run loose. I made sure he took his medicine even though there were times when he didn't want it. His regular vet told me that if anything I helped prolong his life by treating his bowels issues. The pain is just really bad and I want it to stop. If only I knew how bad his heart was, if only I put him on the heart meds. But he was very difficult to treat and once someone is on heart medications they have to be taken consistently w/o fail. Knowing him, I thought it would be more risky to put him on that stuff than to not give it to him.

Both vets - his regular one and the one who did the heart tests - confirmed there was nothing I could have done to stop this from happening.

It can be very difficult to treat a cat with heart disease. I never understood how quickly this can progress until after Pumpkin was gone.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just checked my email and phone. No messages from that shelter that I offered Pumpkin's leftover unopened food and litter to. I messaged them on FB when It appeared they were online and no response from that either.

They're on FB every day. I know that many shelters are staffed by volunteers but you'd think they'd jump at a huge donation like this. All they have to do is pick it up. I have no car and use a wheelchair, so I am not able to take it to them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I do get another kitty, they - like their older brother Pumpkin - will be spoiled (oops...I mean pampered) rotten!
I am a huge proponent of spoiling cats rotten, so long as it doesn't affect their health (too many treats, etc). I mean, they are cats. No matter how spoiled they may be, they are not likely to take the car without permission, shoplift, or run up our credit cards ordering from Amazon and Chewy. Spoil away, and do tell them about Pumpkin, and tell them, "I can love you more because of how I loved Pumpkin." Never doubt that they understand.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been exactly one week since my baby left me. I am hurting a lot, When the clock hit 1:45pm, the time he died, I couldn't stop crying.

It still feels like it's my fault even though I did everything possible to help him. I always tried to protect him. I made sure he stayed safe and didn't run loose. I made sure he took his medicine even though there were times when he didn't want it. His regular vet told me that if anything I helped prolong his life by treating his bowels issues. The pain is just really bad and I want it to stop. If only I knew how bad his heart was, if only I put him on the heart meds. But he was very difficult to treat and once someone is on heart medications they have to be taken consistently w/o fail. Knowing him, I thought it would be more risky to put him on that stuff than to not give it to him.

Both vets - his regular one and the one who did the heart tests - confirmed there was nothing I could have done to stop this from happening.

It can be very difficult to treat a cat with heart disease. I never understood how quickly this can progress until after Pumpkin was gone.
When it comes down to it, weighing quality of life matters. I have had cats in my life (I have 3 now) that would be VERY difficult to medicate. One is almost 16, and two are 12. Given their age and how they have had great lives, I wouldn't force pilling them. I think it would upset them and make their last weeks hell, not to mention cause myself undue stress and anxiety having to do that twice a day.
As far as the donations go, they might be looking to find someone to pick these things up. Sometimes the workers are so busy they aren't great at replying right away. The offer is very generous of you, some cat or cats will benefit very much from it.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a huge proponent of spoiling cats rotten, so long as it doesn't affect their health (too many treats, etc). I mean, they are cats. No matter how spoiled they may be, they are not likely to take the car without permission, shoplift, or run up our credit cards ordering from Amazon and Chewy. Spoil away, and do tell them about Pumpkin, and tell them, "I can love you more because of how I loved Pumpkin." Never doubt that they understand.
I will do just that. Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When it comes down to it, weighing quality of life matters. I have had cats in my life (I have 3 now) that would be VERY difficult to medicate. One is almost 16, and two are 12. Given their age and how they have had great lives, I wouldn't force pilling them. I think it would upset them and make their last weeks hell, not to mention cause myself undue stress and anxiety having to do that twice a day.
As far as the donations go, they might be looking to find someone to pick these things up. Sometimes the workers are so busy they aren't great at replying right away. The offer is very generous of you, some cat or cats will benefit very much from it.
I hope that Pumpkin didn't think I was trying to make his life hell. I was just trying to help him. :(......

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean with the heart condition. As you said, controlling that can be very difficult. :hugs:
I think D dianajune knows what you meant with your cats - like miy Graycie,impossible to pill- she thinks it's going to kill her ... I believe Pumpkin was not like that with meds but certainly Pumpkin knew Diana was helping him - they were very very close like Cheech &I and you and Tag..... That special one on one you have that doesn't come along everyday,they were 2 peas in a pod

How are you doing today D dianajune ? Have you gotten any decent sleep? How's the tummy been?Been thinking about you,praying for you and hoping you are somewhat okay- I can't even say ' I hope you're okay' because I know you are not --- how about a morning hug?
1714725942035.gif

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think D dianajune knows what you meant with your cats - like miy Graycie,impossible to pill- she thinks it's going to kill her ... I believe Pumpkin was not like that with meds but certainly Pumpkin knew Diana was helping him - they were very very close like Cheech &I and you and Tag..... That special one on one you have that doesn't come along everyday,they were 2 peas in a pod

How are you doing today D dianajune ? Have you gotten any decent sleep? How's the tummy been?Been thinking about you,praying for you and hoping you are somewhat okay- I can't even say ' I hope you're okay' because I know you are not --- how about a morning hug?View attachment 475516
I'm not doing very well. Last night I got about 4 hours of sleep and decided to get up early anyway. I went to the laundromat, hoping to be alone because I went very early but nope....someone was already there and more people came in before I left. I know that probably sounds crappy, but even though it is business that is open to the public, a little alone time while doing wash would have been nice.

I"m going to go out later and try to enjoy the nice weather. I'm still trying to reach that first shelter I was going to give Pumpkin's extra littler and food to, but no one's getting back to me. I'm going to reach out to the shelter that is much closer to me - the one which has the foster program I would like to join - and see if they can use his stuff.

The first shelter has a FB page and they're on it every single day. I asked them to get back to me on FB and they never did. I emailed their director too and had no response. Unbelievable. Like someone else said, they're probably staffed by volunteers who aren't there every single day but they were made aware of this offer, I spoke with someone by phone from that shelter a week ago today and she promised to let me know one way or the other if someone would be able to pick up this donation.

Having to struggle to get this taken care of is adding to the pain of losing my baby.

It feels like my pain will never go away. And it hurts that my own brother does not understand and it hurts that my next door neighbor, who I used to be close to, is now ghosting me. People can be so cruel.

When Pumpkin died, I finally understood how alone I really am. He is all I had.

Thank you!

1714746256730.png

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww- I got your hug---- if it's any consolation you have new friends because of Pumpkin too,he's still looking out for you( you have me-not that I'm any prize but I'm here for you) -I do know what you mean though by the people around you( right there that can give you an in person hug!) I know,the ones I thought would help me with this surgery just left me like a hot potatoe'- my friends here on TCS showed more support than people in the next bldg I know for a decade!!!! Guess it good to see their true colors- right?

I'm surprised when these shelters don't get back to people that want to donate- guess they don't need it that bad or just have lousy volunteers that don't seem to be putting in any effort- who knows,people are baffling .... don't let thst stress you out,someone else must need it more and maybe it's the one closer to you...... there's a shelter here that won't accept any opened bags,I can sort of understand that but surely they can give out referrals of who may and they don't- they get snarky on the phone,do you know of any TNR gre that feed colonies in your area,they'd love your donation

So sorry you didn't get much sleep and then no peace at the laundrymat- getting fresh air sounds really good,maybe it might help you sleep better too after being out and getting some sunshine.....I'm really glad you checked in here,it's good to hear from you
1714749400692.gif

Florida Sunshine headed your way!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwwww- I got your hug---- if it's any consolation you have new friends because of Pumpkin too,he's still looking out for you( you have me-not that I'm any prize but I'm here for you) -I do know what you mean though by the people around you( right there that can give you an in person hug!) I know,the ones I thought would help me with this surgery just left me like a hot potatoe'- my friends here on TCS showed more support than people in the next bldg I know for a decade!!!! Guess it good to see their true colors- right?

I'm surprised when these shelters don't get back to people that want to donate- guess they don't need it that bad or just have lousy volunteers that don't seem to be putting in any effort- who knows,people are baffling .... don't let thst stress you out,someone else must need it more and maybe it's the one closer to you...... there's a shelter here that won't accept any opened bags,I can sort of understand that but surely they can give out referrals of who may and they don't- they get snarky on the phone,do you know of any TNR gre that feed colonies in your area,they'd love your donation

So sorry you didn't get much sleep and then no peace at the laundrymat- getting fresh air sounds really good,maybe it might help you sleep better too after being out and getting some sunshine.....I'm really glad you checked in here,it's good to hear from you
View attachment 475539
Florida Sunshine headed your way!
Thank you! I appreciate your friendship and support, along with that of everyone else here! <hugs>

A few minutes ago I tried one more time to reach that shelter. I called the volunteer coordinator, who I think is the person I spoke with by phone last week. Got her voicemail. Then I called the shelter's director. Same thing. So, I left a message for the director saying what I posted here. That I've been trying for about a week and can't get anyone to return my calls, emails or FB posts. I tried saying this as nice as possible, but this wasn't easy for me. I mentioned that I will find another shelter that would be willing to do this.

I understand they may have time constraints, but a simple phone call to say something like "we're still looking for someone to pick this up" or "sorry we cannot accept your donation at this time" would have been nice.

I called the other shelter and asked them to return my call (got their VM too) and told them about this donation and how I'd like to become a foster parent for a cat. I should hear back from them, because I was at the store yesterday and saw a pet food donation bin for this same shelter.

I'll be back later. It's time for me to head outside, maybe I will feel better. Thank you! <hugs>