What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Split pea soup from the freezer and Red Lobster biscuits from a mix.

Follow up. It was my first time making these biscuits and I really didn’t have high expectations. But they were so light and tender, just delicious and just like those at the restaurant. Wasn’t sure what I was going to do for bread for thanksgiving, but now it’s going to be these biscuits. Easy to mix and they bake in 14 minutes.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH made a big pot of chilly last evening. We’ll probably just have left overs. :biggrin:
I'm probably going to have the last of my leftover veggie chili I made last week. DH is having a turkey burger w/swiss cheese. One of the small independent grocery stores near us has their own bakery and puts out day old baked goods - we snatched a carrot raisin muffin for only 50 cents. :thumbsup: Their muffins are huge so we'll split it for dessert.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're all in that boat. Now, if we could just convince the calories to socially distance!
I gained 4 pounds from eating all that dessert last week. My doctor will be happy. Round 2 of desserts coming up soon, when I get my Target order!

Had a couple of anisette biscotti for dessert.
What does biscotti taste like? Maybe I'll try some.

Breakfast: Aldi pumpkin spice bagel toasted with butter and finished up the McCormick apple cinnamon sugar. Also had a handful of Aldi sweet potato chips.

Lunch: I made the best snack plate ever! I had Aldi espresso lavender cheese diced up, Great Value wheat thin knockoff crackers with Target vanilla almond butter on them, Taco Bell Fire spicy tortilla chips with Aldi medium salsa on them. The cheese tasted good with the almond butter, surprisingly!

Dinner: Dollar General brand mac & cheese, pea/carrot/corn/green bean mix, habanero hot sauce, Great Value saltine crackers with Target vanilla almond butter on them, Aldi sweet potato chips with Aldi medium salsa on them, but I actually preferred the almond butter on the chips, rather than the salsa, interesting.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
We're all in that boat. Now, if we could just convince the calories to socially distance!

I have no clue what I'll have when I get up tonight. I may thaw out a package of bacon for sandwiches.
Biscotti taste little bit like almond cookies to me. If you ever had Stella Dora cookies it is like a combination of the original S.D. cookie and their Margherite cookies. It goes well with coffee. ☕😋

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonton soup. Broth good, wonton filling (ground pork briefly cooked, finely diced celery, onion, mushroom) was good, wrappers (Nasoya brand) were poor. But I'm not about to make my own wrappers. May try as gyoza, see how that works.

Stir fry of shredded savoy cabbage, finely cut broccoli, and tilapia. Saute vegetables, set aside. Tilapia cut in strips, sauteed. Return vegetables, add broth and toasted sesame oil. Clap a lid over pan and let steam. Served over rice.

Overall, I'll say the meal was O.K., not great. Still annoyed about the wonton wrappers.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't had burgers in awhile,so I made cheeseburgers and oven baked homemade french fries.The cats weren't interested in the least so they went about their business during dinner,but the dogs....love their potatoes!Mashed...baked...they don't care,so they were happy to have a few fries.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
So they are more sweet like a cookie, than a cracker? I think I prefer crackers.

Do you turn the heat down after putting the lid on, or keep it on medium? Any soy sauce?
They are sweet Italian biscuits, not crackers. I usually get them along with my coffee at my local bakery. Give it a try you may like them.😊

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They are sweet Italian biscuits, not crackers. I usually get them along with my coffee at my local bakery. Give it a try you may like them.😊
I love biscottis. :thumbsup: They originated in Italy and are baked twice. I had posted a recipe for them in the Quarantine Baking thread.

I hope this link works with pic: Quarantine baking
And here's the recipe to try them: Quarantine baking

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The basic Italian Biscotti is almond flavored. It is a twice baked item. There are many different flavors of them. They are crescent shaped. My local bakeries make the anisette (licorice) type.. so good not really licorice but kind of..
Many places make a vanilla version of it.

It is a roundish roll of Italian dough, that is first baked as is, then sliced and the slices rebaked.

Biscotti are crunchy! They are a substantial dipping cookie. They are thick.

The old time Italians used to dip them in red wine.. or coffee/espresso.
I like mine dipped in coffee or tea.. even water is ok... softens them up..

My city was originally an Italian Immigrant community.. Grew up on Italian food: restaurants, bakeries, pizza places, even neighbors... yum...

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I love biscottis. :thumbsup: They originated in Italy and are baked twice. I had posted a recipe for them in the Quarantine Baking thread.

I hope this link works with pic: Quarantine baking
And here's the recipe to try them: Quarantine baking
Thank you. I think I will use the recipe you posted and bake some one of these days. Yum! I have a Madeliene baking tray. I could make them too. I love them both. They make coffee breaks all the more better. :cloud9::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually haven’t, but I heard it was really good.
Do you have a recipe?
i only have heard these two things before make a cold pot of coffee soak the steak an hour or half an hour take out and cook supposed to make it tender and taste good this method i have tried :lol: a coffee rub using coffee grounds to rub on the steak along with seasoning etc:lol:keep in mind it was my first time and even though it tasted really good it was a fail though cause it was like chewing a tasty piece of steak covered in sand:lol:and i felt like i drank a whole pot of coffee afterwards yep i ate the steak grounds and all:lol:guess i should have given it a quick rinse off to get rid of the grounds before cooking it

Status
Not open for further replies.