Quarantine baking

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other day I made hubby some chocolate chip cookies.The recipe I use I have posted before I think,and it's my go to for most of the cookies I make for him.I reduce the sugar and I always use a small pampered chef scoop,so I get 140 ish cookies,but I was looking to do something different.I used mini chips and I chopped up half of a pint jar of orange marmalade and threw in the mix.You know those orange flavored chocolates around the holidays?Oh my goodness!I will be making them again for sujre!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just made some awesome applesauce bran muffins from scratch. I have been craving them and used to buy the Krusteaz box mix but no one carries it so I decided to give scratch a try. They turned out super moist and not overly sweet.
Homemade is usually better (and healthier) than boxed, so not surprised they turned out well.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here are my applesauce-blueberry-pecan-zucchini muffins. Topped with a wee bit of crumb topping.
I started out with a recipe, but decided to do my own thing. They are decadent! I may call them A to Z Muffins! I opened that corner muffin to get a glimpse inside. Then I ate it. (Don't mind the Halloween liners; they're all I have left. I really need to stock up on baking supplies again. I use liners to keep my pans cleaner.)

Muffins.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are my applesauce-blueberry-pecan-zucchini muffins. Topped with a wee bit of crumb topping.
I started out with a recipe, but decided to do my own thing. They are decadent! I may call them A to Z Muffins! I opened that corner muffin to get a glimpse inside. Then I ate it. (Don't mind the Halloween liners; they're all I have left. I really need to stock up on baking supplies again. I use liners to keep my pans cleaner.)

View attachment 343165
They sound just heavenly. The great thing about muffins is that they freeze so well.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Aargh! Don’t people have enough yeast by now? I have enough yeast for maybe two more loaves of bread, and then I’m out. I’ve been checking every week at the store for the past several weeks and NO YEAST. Well, there are some packets of rapid rise and pizza yeast, but I don’t know how to use those in my cinnamons bread recipe. :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried bulk food stores? Or even restaurant supply companies? Around here, especially when restaurants were mostly closed, their suppliers were selling to the general public.The amounts were larger sizes than typically found in grocery stores, but that might work for you, if you bake a lot of bread. Also, maybe check Amazon. It looks like they have several types of different yeast.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried bulk food stores? Or even restaurant supply companies? Around here, especially when restaurants were mostly closed, their suppliers were selling to the general public.The amounts were larger sizes than typically found in grocery stores, but that might work for you, if you bake a lot of bread. Also, maybe check Amazon. It looks like they have several types of different yeast.
Thanks for the suggestions! I did a quick check on Amazon, and the couple I looked at were seriously price gouging. But I’ll continue to keep an eye out both in the store and online.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory King Arthur has yeast and it's not expensive, although you'll pay for shipping: Search | King Arthur Flour
Oh my gosh! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that given how much time I’ve spent on the KA website! Thanks, Winchester Winchester . :) I’m going to try one of their cocoas, too. I was using the Trader Joe’s cocoa for the KA brownies I make, but I haven’t been to TJ’s since February. I’ve been using Hershey cocoa from the grocery store, and it’s just not as good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I had some leftovers in the fridge and decided to do some creative baking. Sometimes it’s fun to google the ingredients I have and see what I can come up with. Some ricotta cheese, caramel sauce, and chocolate chips went into ice cream which turned out YUMMY!

64B067A2-1DA5-409C-B8AC-514C74DB9F10.jpeg

Leftover sour cream and apples went into an apple cake.
9302F5F4-84F9-499B-84D6-AF9A49450D2E.jpeg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I just placed an order at the King Arthur website: all-purpose flour (on sale and at a better price than I can get it at the grocery store), a pound of active dry yeast (which will last me a looong time, but I’ll share with yeast-deprived neighbors :) ), espresso powder (I use it in brownies), and the Bensdorp Dutch-Process Cocoa. Can’t wait to try the cocoa and see how it tastes compared to the Hershey’s.