What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i only have heard these two things before make a cold pot of coffee soak the steak an hour or half an hour take out and cook supposed to make it tender and taste good this method i have tried :lol: a coffee rub using coffee grounds to rub on the steak along with seasoning etc:lol:keep in mind it was my first time and even though it tasted really good it was a fail though cause it was like chewing a tasty piece of steak covered in sand:lol:and i felt like i drank a whole pot of coffee afterwards yep i ate the steak grounds and all:lol:guess i should have given it a quick rinse off to get rid of the grounds before cooking it
Oh gosh! :lol:

I think I’ll try the soaking method instead of the rub.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Nonni's looks like regular Biscotti. Never tried that brand before.
Yes, the Nonni brand is the best of the store bought biscottis. I used to send them to my daughter when she was away at college. I like the Cioccolati one best. Cioccolati Biscotti - Nonni's

M maggiedemi If you can get them fresh from a bakery sometime you will want to dip them in your coffee. They're so delicious. :yummy: Otherwise try getting one of the Nonni flavors in your next grocery order.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good news, bad news - after much checking I was unable to order a new part for our old, old oven. But our new oven was delivered and installed yesterday. It will take some getting used to since our old one was pretty basic. It has Remote Enable which I doubt I will ever use, i.e. two way communication between oven and smart device by using WIFI connect features.

Dinner will be something quick and easy tonight - veggie quinoa burgers on an onion roll with sweet potatoes. Red seedless grapes and blueberries for dessert.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, these are ok biscotti. If you can find a real Bakery, they will be much better.
This will give you an idea of what it tastes like..

Nonni's has a ton of flavors. I have a box of Pumpkin spice dipped in chocolate, and a box of chocolate dipped almond biscotti, in the house. I can easily pick up the bakery ones. These are just for 'just in case', stock.....

Stella Doro's biscotti is a tad softer. It is good, but softer. I love all Stella D'Oro's products.. really good cookies.. not too sweet. just sweet enough.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hot open face sandwich - chicken with gravy and mushrooms. Lightly toasted cut roll. Sauteed thinly sliced white mushrooms and set aside. Added flour to the butter / olive oil that had been used to saute mushrooms, stirring to thicken and get rid of that "raw" taste the flour would otherwise have. Added homemade chicken stock bit by bit, stirring as it came together. A little fresh ground pepper, oregano . . . Add chicken to reheat, ladle over roll, top with mushrooms. Knife and fork kind of meal but rather nice, considering I didn't have a recipe. Oh, and I chose frozen mixed vegetables, heated / cooked in microwave for the side dish.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, these are ok biscotti. If you can find a real Bakery, they will be much better.
We aren't really going anywhere except for Walmart until the pandemic is over. I guess I'll get the Nonnie ones if you think they are better than the Stella ones. I don't like chocolate much, except for hot cocoa, so I will just get the regular ones.

Added flour to the butter / olive oil that had been used to saute mushrooms, stirring to thicken and get rid of that "raw" taste the flour would otherwise have. Added homemade chicken stock bit by bit, stirring as it came together. A little fresh ground pepper, oregano .
That sounds like an easy way to make a vegetarian gravy. Maybe I'll try it. I heard that you can make veggie gravy with cream of mushroom soup too.

Breakfast: Aldi pumpkin spice bagel toasted with butter and apple sugar. Handful of Aldi sweet potato chips with Maranatha dark roasted almond butter.

Lunch: Same as breakfast, but with blueberry sugar. That was the last of the pumpkin spice bagels. Very yummy.

Dinner: Snack plate with 2 Betty Crocker cinnamon roll mug cakes and Aldi sweet potato chips. I threw away the frosting packets that came with these mug cakes. Yuck! Way too sweet. Not a very nutritious day, I know...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
yummy have you tried the coffee marinade on steaks before?
I've never marinated steaks with coffee before, but I used to marinate a beef roast with it. I'd cut deepish pockets in the roast, stuff them with sliced onion and sliced garlic, cover with coffee and refrigerate overnight. The next day I'd use some of the coffee as a braising liquid. I haven't done it in YEARS, but it was SO GOOD! I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks for reminding me, guys!

Tonight (actually my tomorrow night), something very simple. Maybe an egg salad sandwich.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrots, stir fried yellow squash and tomatoes with lima beans and corn. The tomatoes, lima beans and corn remind me of something my mother used to make when I was a kid. She would add onions and put it over toast. She said her mother used to serve it during the depression.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrots, stir fried yellow squash and tomatoes with lima beans and corn.
It sounds like they are finally giving you more protein! Sounds yummy too. Is it called Succotash?

Breakfast: 2 microwave cinnamon roll mug cakes, butter, sweet potato chips.

Lunch: 1 microwave almond poppyseed muffin with butter, sweet potato chips, Aldi lavender espresso cheddar cheese. I tried ketchup on the sweet potato chips, which was a bit odd. I prefer them with almond butter on them.

Dinner: Veggie Alfredo casserole- olive oil, onions, garlic, elbow noodles, great northern beans, carrots, peas, bell peppers, cream of mushroom soup, alfredo sauce, evaporated milk, shredded cheese. I crumbled up saltine crackers on top. Also added habanero hot sauce and spicy fire salt. Something clashed in there, it didn't taste quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.