Quarantine baking

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the capability of posting a picture,but I can share a recipe that I fixed yesterday.They're called cherry bars...very easy and sure are yummy!

1 c. soft butter 1 1/2 c. sugar 1 t. salt Beat this together...mixer or by hand....til they are light and fluffy.
4 eggs.....beat in one at a time,then add 1/2 t. each vanilla and almond extract.
Finally slowly work in 3 c. flour,and you'll have what looks to be a soft cookie type dough.
Spread 3 cups of it in a jelly roll pan...I used a rubber spatula.
Next on top of that dough spread 2 cans cherry pie filling,and dollop the rest of the dough on top.Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.Let cool a bit and drizzle with the glaze:1 c. powdered sugar,1/2 t. vanilla,1/2 t. almond extract and 2-3 T. milk.I spooned mine into a sandwich bag and snipped off a small bit from a corner for an easy pastry bag.Enjoy!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In an older Fleishmann's Yeast cookbook, I found a recipe for Cinnamon Swirl bread that looks very interesting. It looks so good and it has a crumb topping. I bet it would be wonderful as toast. Stay tuned!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I like to have biscotti or madeleines with my coffee in the morning. I'd run out of both so I looked online for interesting madeleine recipes. This one looked interesting and 'healthy' so I decided to try it. They look yummy, don't they? WARNING: They are not! :barf: :flail:

I threw them out and then made some real ones. :lol: Now these are yummy.

IMG_7548.JPG

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I like to have biscotti or madeleines with my coffee in the morning.
Funny you should mention biscotti since my daughter baked it this week and sent me the recipe. I plan to try it and if they taste good I'd be glad to share it with you.

Last edited:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally broke in the Kitchen Aid today. I made peanut butter cookies. Oh they are so good. I wrapped up all but 4 that I kept for me and they are going to be shipped out to DD and FSIL (future son in law). I used the recipe from King Arthur Flour subbing 1/2 cup of butter for the shortening and adding a bag of Reese's PB chips because WHY NOT? They are fabulous. I took them out of the oven after 12 minutes. Any longer would be too long IMO

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

1590522547442.png

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, please do share! I’ve never tried to make it.
Here you go - my daughter said they're easy to make too.

YIELDMakes about 42 biscottis
INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
    • 3 tablespoons brandy
    • 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1 cup whole almonds with skin, lightly toasted , cooled, and coarsely chopped
    • 3 large eggs
    • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Note: you can substitute chocolate chips or something else for almonds
PREPARATION

1. Stir together sugar, butter, brandy, and extracts in a large bowl, then stir in almonds and eggs. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
  2. Chill dough, covered, 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
  4. Using moistened hands, halve dough and form 2 (16-by 2-inch) loaves on an ungreased large baking sheet.
  5. Bake until pale golden, about 30 minutes. Carefully transfer loaves to a rack and cool 15 minutes.
  6. Cut loaves into 3/4-inch slices with a serrated knife.
  7. Arrange biscotti, with a cut side down, on a clean baking sheet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
Cooks' note:
Biscotti improve in flavor if made 1 to 2 days ahead. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally broke in the Kitchen Aid today. I made peanut butter cookies. Oh they are so good. I wrapped up all but 4 that I kept for me and they are going to be shipped out to DD and FSIL (future son in law). I used the recipe from King Arthur Flour subbing 1/2 cup of butter for the shortening and adding a bag of Reese's PB chips because WHY NOT? They are fabulous. I took them out of the oven after 12 minutes. Any longer would be too long IMO

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
TheKitchn.com did a bake off of several popular peanut butter cookies. The KA recipe rated 3 /10 and was called "not worth your time". The crumbly dry dough and resulting cookie seemed to be a turnoff.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TheKitchn.com did a bake off of several popular peanut butter cookies. The KA recipe rated 3 /10 and was called "not worth your time". The crumbly dry dough and resulting cookie seemed to be a turnoff.

[/URL]
I didn't have that problem. They came out fantastic. I individually wrapped and packed them in a Tupperware to ship out tomorrow. I used butter instead of shortening and baked them at the low end of the time range.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are great. DD is looking forward to them as is FSIL. I did the click and ship thing last night on the Post Office website, printed the label and the box will be picked up when I get my regular mail delivery. So easy. I only kept a few for myself.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have baked and baked, all gluten free. I have perfected a lot of recipes now. Recently I made cranberry orange and also banana muffins. I used gluten free all purpose flour for these.

Today I made apple cobbler using canned pie filling. I used King Arthur measure for measure flour for these. Earlier I made blueberry banana muffins using King Arthur baking mix. Of all the flours I have tried, I like King Arthur better.

I have baked some casseroles or main dish meals in the oven too. I like to stir my rutabagas in a bowl with olive oil and garlic salt. I put them in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Then I put my meat on top. I usually put 2 pork chops on one end and smoked sausage on the other end. That makes two meals for us.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory , that is called the "shred" and it's desirable in a loaf of white bread, although perhaps not to your extent. Did you tuck your ends and seal them under the loaf before you put your loaves into their pans? Did you roll the dough tightly? I also wonder if under-proofing the dough after it's been rolled up can lead to excessive shred; I know your recipe said an hour, but sometimes, esp in cooler kitchens (like mine), it may take longer to develop a good rise. I'm wondering about your ends as I wonder if that caused your excessive shred.

But honestly, your bread looks really good and I bet it makes excellent French toast! And I wish I was at your house to help you eat it!
Yay!! I just made more cinnamon bread today, and thanks to you, Winchester Winchester , it came out perfectly! I let it rise longer and tucked in the ends. Ha. No excessive shred! :yess:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yay!! I just made more cinnamon bread today, and thanks to you, Winchester Winchester , it came out perfectly! I let it rise longer and tucked in the ends. Ha. No excessive shred! :yess:
Yay, you! :yess:

Last week I made King Arthur's Chewy Chocolate Chip cookie. Yum. And then I made their Vanilla Dreams. Yum again.
The Vanilla Dreams are made with bakers ammonia, which I buy just for these cookies. I can't find it in the stores around here, so when I make a KA order, I throw in a container.

As for the peanut butter cookies from KA, I've tried them and didn't have a problem with the dough. However, IMnsHO, I really think that Betty Crocker probably has the best recipe for peanut butter cookies. Bar none. They are excellent. But then I'm a big Betty fan. I learned to bake from Rick's mom, but Betty was a really close second.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Here you go - my daughter said they're easy to make too.

YIELDMakes about 42 biscottis
INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
    • 3 tablespoons brandy
    • 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1 cup whole almonds with skin, lightly toasted , cooled, and coarsely chopped
    • 3 large eggs
    • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Note: you can substitute chocolate chips or something else for almonds
PREPARATION

1. Stir together sugar, butter, brandy, and extracts in a large bowl, then stir in almonds and eggs. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
  2. Chill dough, covered, 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
  4. Using moistened hands, halve dough and form 2 (16-by 2-inch) loaves on an ungreased large baking sheet.
  5. Bake until pale golden, about 30 minutes. Carefully transfer loaves to a rack and cool 15 minutes.
  6. Cut loaves into 3/4-inch slices with a serrated knife.
  7. Arrange biscotti, with a cut side down, on a clean baking sheet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
Cooks' note:
Biscotti improve in flavor if made 1 to 2 days ahead. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature.
Oh, thank you. :clap: I just saw this. I’ll try it!

I had extra pumpkin puree and applesauce to use up so I made these today. Pumpkin muffins:

F7A57C9B-5527-44B2-ACDD-6102E950A4D8.jpeg

and applesauce cinnamon bread.

F254A850-5AAB-44EC-87F6-65736680048E.jpeg