Quarantine baking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Funny how there's both a muffin missing, and a piece of the bread. :lol:
Well, a good baker has to make sure the food they make is fit for human consumption, right? :rolleyes2:

Actually, the muffin recipe was supposed to make 10 and I got 11 out of it so I had one extra and haven’t tasted them yet. Really, I swear it’s the truth. :biggrin: But yep, that was me sampling the apple cake. :lol:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been occasionally getting organic produce boxes to support local businesses during the shutdown. This week‘s box had lettuce, spinach, red onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, oranges, and pears. So I kind of went crazy :lol: cooking this weekend to use the fresh produce.

I added some of the lettuce and spinach to a salad I already had in the fridge. I don’t usually like sweet potatoes but decided to try them anyway, and roasted them with zucchini, bell peppers, and onions. Delicious!

4DCA5BFF-CCB1-4069-BF15-2092A2510CE4.jpeg

I made a spinach/onion quiche, a healthy green drink, an apple/pear crisp, and last but not least....carrot ice cream!

A0E8CD08-F370-4B4A-BB16-59D91A53298F.jpeg

9C3109FD-34EB-49C4-9359-672F0975A1D2.jpeg

00DD68BB-913A-4B07-BC88-53F8120696FC.jpeg

FADDA598-4454-4DAA-820D-588025FA52C0.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made a spinach/onion quiche, a healthy green drink, an apple/pear crisp, and last but not least....carrot ice cream!
Wow. You were busy! Most of that looks delicious. :yummy: The green drink, though, not so much. :nervous:

I'm curious about the carrot ice cream. Is it sweet? Creamy?

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow. You were busy! Most of that looks delicious. :yummy: The green drink, though, not so much. :nervous:

I'm curious about the carrot ice cream. Is it sweet? Creamy?
I don't usually make green drinks but I had all that celery! :lol: With the cucumber and a little honey mixed in, it wasn't bitter at all.

The ice cream isn't overly creamy like regular ice cream--it was lighter. It didn't taste really carroty, either. I could taste the orange juice more than the carrot flavor. Here's the recipe.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The ice cream isn't overly creamy like regular ice cream--it was lighter. It didn't taste really carroty, either. I could taste the orange juice more than the carrot flavor. Here's the recipe.
Sounds interesting. Do you have an ice cream maker?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have one of these.
I'd be afraid of buying something like that, as I love ice cream, and would probably wear it out in the first week. Not to mention outgrowing my clothes just as quickly. :lol:

I still haven't made bread, although I could now, as I finally found yeast. :yess: I did, however, make peanut butter cookies yesterday.

IMG_1031.jpg

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made vanilla bean cheesecake bars for Rick for Fathers' Day. It was a King Arthur mix that I've had in the pantry for quite a while. He's eating them on his own....and seems quite happy about it!
Sounds delicious! Can you post the recipe? :please:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There is no recipe; it was one of King Arthur's Goodness mixes that has been in the pantry for a while. Sorry!

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made vanilla and lemon cheesecake bars. I'm not going to post pictures because it looks like a 5 year old made them. :lol: But even though they don't look the greatest, the taste fine, thankfully.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I made vanilla and lemon cheesecake bars. I'm not going to post pictures because it looks like a 5 year old made them. :lol: But even though they don't look the greatest, the taste fine, thankfully.
I know what you mean. :lol: My creations usually look like ‘pinterest fails’. But as long as they taste okay, that’s what counts.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It’s on the King Arthur website. :)
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake Bars
Thanks Tobermory Tobermory . I never thought to look there. KA's packaged mixes are actually quite good, but I'm going to try the recipe to see how they compare.

Lola3791 Lola3791 You should have seen the very first apple pie I ever made. It looked so bad that Rick's dad refused to even try a piece. Bless Rick's heart, he dug right in. And the pie was delicious, even though it looked horrible. It's not how things look; it how they taste. And I bet those bars were simply delicious! :hugs: