Updates from Kiev

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that keeping the thread here is the best answer.

Also, I would add a tip. If Paul9856 Paul9856 hasn't posted for a few days, hover your cursor over his handle or his avatar anywhere that it appears in this thread. Among the things that pop up you'll see something labeled "Last seen:." That will tell you the last time he was on TCS, even if he didn't post here at that time.

Margret

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would prefer this thread to remain here in The Lounge, as like [IMG alt="kashmir64"][URL]https://thecatsite.com/data/avatars/s/120/120383.jpg?1531002921[/URL][/IMG] kashmir64 said, it would likely get bogged down with political comments, and lose its purpose which is to let you share how you and Alina and the cats are doing.

Of course, if you want to post more political comments, the IMO forum is the place to do that. But please continue to post regular updates here for those of us who don't follow the IMO threads.
I'm so sorry to hear about Alina's friend's home. I hope for the best for them
I also agree with the above about leaving the thread here, and if desired posting political views in the IMO forum.
I check every day here to see if updates!
Continuing thoughts and prayers for your safety!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Paul9856 Paul9856 If you want to be able to be political here, then have it moved, by all means. i will say, from my own point of view, I really like the fact that this thread is about members caring for other members, without politics coming into it. I spend hours reading about Ukraine every day, with political commentary. This is a needed break for me, and keeps me grounded in the fact that this is, ultimately, about people trying to live their lives in trying times. But again, you do as you need to do. Goodness knows, you have earned that right! I will remain active on this thread, regardless of where its "home" is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am happy to say that nothing much is happening to us, we went tolunch with our pastor on Monday just outside Kyiv, village Sofia Borschagivka and apart from the checkpoints there was nothing much to report. Today we have managed to get some shopping again, grabbed what cat food we saw - there still is availability but what is left is the more expensive brands. Pretty much all the cheaper versions of everything have already gone.

On the war front the artillery has been quite active over the last couple of days and I actually saw what looked like 2 aircraft to my North over Kyiv last night. I think I could hear AAAbut that leaves me conflicted, if he gets away that's bad but if he is hit that is a couple of tons of aircraft no longer flying above a big city. I understand that Irpin has been taken back. I hope that this is a sign that Kyiv is going to be safe and that we can start the fight back to the east and the south but I am afraid that its early days yet.

We will try to keep you updated

Love to all

Paul and Alina

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Paul and Alina, thanks for the update, always good to hear you are all ok. You are looking after all the cats so well, they are lucky to have you.

Every day I hope to hear good news from Ukraine, that no-one is hurt and this terrible war you are living through is over, hopefully one day very soon.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a pensioner - surely somewhere there is a rulebook that lets me have an easy day!

Not today - today's saga starts about or 8 months ago, at either end of our building there are secured parking lots and one night the guard named Yakovitch found that some worthless piece of s**** had put a young mixed breed vaguely collie like puppy into his yard. Fast forward to this week and Marta is now about 9 months old and has not been vaccinated or sterilised. We have been talking to Yakovitch who is a pensioner 10 years older than us and he has been saying that his customers will help and all will be ok but the lot is practically empty at the moment so we decided not to wait any longer. All 3 of us took Marta to a vet volunteer in Obolon which is a LOT closer to the action than our patch and after waiting for an hour or so this young soldier arrived - the vet has volunteered for the defence force and is working as a medic (must be a change to be able to ask the patient whats up) Yakovitch headed back to work while Lina helped with the operation and I stayed out of the way we then had to get back across a dark and quiet city with lots of checkpoints to try to drop off Marta at another volunteer who would look after her during the healing phase.

The next problem is that I don't know where I am going - its very dark and the navigator is leading us around in circles plus it's getting late and the curfew is about to start when SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED took the executive decision that Marta would sleep in our place tonight and we would get our ducks in a row tomorrow. Needless to say NONE of the cats are at all impressed by our visitor, Cora took one look and ran into the kitchen, she did however eat and is sleeping in the living room, Marta is wearing an old t shirt to protect the stitches as Alexander the vet didn't have any collars or other gear and is sleeping on the balcony and Belle and Aza are creeping around trying to understand what the heck is going on. Tomorrow Marta is off to 9 day stay in a spa resort before resuming her role as guardian of the lotand maybe Belle and Cora will sit down over dinner and discuss our many and varied shortfalls as servants and minions.

I am going to put my foot down and insist on a few days off if it's OK with her indoors

Paul

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too - I don't hat the palisades navigation was doing but my telephone and google maps got us home safely. The Artillery was noticeable louder up in Obolon and some ladies who were getting rescue kitties ready to be flown to Italy were telling me about their narrow escapes - machine gun fire and a missile flying past the window etc, not my idea of fun at all!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that this is a sign that Kyiv is going to be safe and that we can start the fight back to the east and the south but I am afraid that its early days yet.
I hope and pray too! May Alina, the cats, Marta and you all be safe. 🙏
Bless you for taking care of Marta and being able to navigate back to Kyiv with her in tow. You are not only very kind but very thoughtful and compassionate too. 🤗

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maria is now in kennels for 10 days before her papa can collect her and we have her vaccines ready for 14 days Tim. Ira and Sascha are back home so Timmi, Richie and Koshka are back with their mamma and papa so tomorrow is just a domestic day thank goodness

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Margret, I am very sorry for not being on line but we have been pretty busy sorting out Marta I am in Solomonski Raion in Kyiv and we have actually had a couple of quiet days. No artillery in earshot but Alina did see a couple of "tanks" with soldiers on them - maybe BTR6Us - and even though there have been a couple of air raid warnings in our part of the city everything has been fine.

I have seen some of the BBC coverage of Irpin, Bucha and the Zhotomir higway and yes it is awful I understand that the Russians in those areas were pretty severly savaged by our forces and I am sure that the boys are making sure that they get some presents to take with them back to Russia. We just hope that now we can re-orient enough forces to take some pressure off Kharkiv and Mariupol as they have been suffering much more than I have been.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am catching up on threads and I am so sorry about what has happened there....caused by Dr. Evil. What you've done for Marta and what also has been done by flying babies to Italy is amazing!!!!

I am thinking about you and yours and praying as well.🙏📿💖 :hugs: