Updates from Kiev

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I have been posting about introducing a new kitty since July but since the events of Feb 22 everything has gone off topic and I am now posting updates about our life here in Kiev (Kyiv if you prefer) and the war in Ukraine as it is affecting us.

The current situation as of 14th March is that we have heard artillery, it's quite loud but not close. We are praying A LOT and we have put ourselves inthe Lords hands and trust in Him to do what is best, Kiev is a big city with a peacetime population of 3 million and we are a small target so probably nothing will happen.

Two of of neighbours have left Kiev (one for a suburb town called Gatne and the other heading for Poland) so as well as looking after our 3 cats we now have 4 others that we are feeding and caring for - in their apartments not ours. If the situation gets really grim we are prepared to shelter in a bathroom or windowless corridor and we can put everyone in travel crates, if it goes down hill from there we have an underground garage next door and we can go a live in our car.

SO our extended family right now consists of me Paul - I am 58 an expat from London who has been living in Kiev for 9 years. I have some peacetime military experience but nothing practical so I am not considering joining the local defence forces as apart from anything else my language skills are pants, there is also my wife Alina who would scalp me if I mentioned her age :) Alina is from Kiev and we are broken hearted about the damage being done to the wonderful people and places in her homeland. Our cats are Belle a 6 year old Scottish fold, Aza who is about 5 and came as a rescue from a local Vet, Cora who is about 18 months and whom we picked up off the streets in June. Our neighbours upstairs have 3 Scottish folds Timmi who is 10 and nearly 9 Kilos, Richie and an adorable girl named Koshka (Female cat or Kitty) and our next door neighbours have a beautiful Burmese also named Timmi I will post pictures soon but its time to go and clean Burmese Timmi's toilet and feed him.

More updates soon Inshalla 🇬🇧🇺🇦🙏

More updates soom

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring for your neighbor's kitties. I hope you, your wife and all the kitties stay safe and well during this horrible time. I hope you are right that your city will be OK. I can't even try to imagine what you are going thru right now, but I'm sure you are well aware that the (majority of) whole world is standing by you and your country. We all hope for an end to this senseless and cruel invasion.
Even in my small(ish) city, here in Northern Ontario, Canada. We have been having protests, marches and candle vigils in honor of all of you. Donations are being collected by many businesses wherever I go. We can't do much from way over here, but we're doing what we can.
I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting and keeping all the cats safe, fed and looked after during this crisis. 🤗 We appreciate you taking the time to not only inform us about your circumstances but also update us. We will keep you, Alina and all the felines in our prayers and thoughts.🙏 Stay safe and please take care of yourselves my friend. :grouphug:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for updating us, I was glad to hear of your plan. Hoping beyond hope you are kept safe and this ends with Russia running back to Russia. It's so heartbreaking and senseless and cruel. I wish I could do more from here too, but donating to things will help.
And thank you for taking care of all those kitties. Lucky that they were in your and Alina's orbit.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul, thank you for what you are doing, and your wife, Alina--also....
I cannot imagine what you are going through. I just cannot....

I pray daily for all the people of Ukraine.. and for President Zelenskyy... and his family....

I live right outside of Boston, Massachusetts.. There are many many rallies, supporting Ukrainians.. And so many organizations, both large and small, collecting items for the refugees and Ukrainian people.

I live in senior housing. I am Catholic; but the Rabbi in here, asked for last minute donations, about 10 days ago. She heard about someone with contacts, who was shipping some things to your people. It was last minute as was going out the next day. I am kind of a hoarder. I searched my closets, supplies of anything I could think of...

And we, did the same thing a couple of days later. There were so many donations.. It is the least we can do..

This is really hitting home to me. I am of Polish, --just did DNA and discovered, Balkan and Ukrainian ancestry.

I will say, I am so proud of Poland... so proud of what they have done for the refugees...
Enough about me...
~~
God Bless you, Alina, your kitties, your neighbors kitties... May you get through this unscathed.. if possible.. May God wrap his arms around you, your family and the country of Ukraine...

You have many many friends here..

Please keep updating us....
Love and Prayers....:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I have been posting about introducing a new kitty since July but since the events of Feb 22 everything has gone off topic and I am now posting updates about our life here in Kiev (Kyiv if you prefer) and the war in Ukraine as it is affecting us.

The current situation as of 14th March is that we have heard artillery, it's quite loud but not close. We are praying A LOT and we have put ourselves inthe Lords hands and trust in Him to do what is best, Kiev is a big city with a peacetime population of 3 million and we are a small target so probably nothing will happen.

Two of of neighbours have left Kiev (one for a suburb town called Gatne and the other heading for Poland) so as well as looking after our 3 cats we now have 4 others that we are feeding and caring for - in their apartments not ours. If the situation gets really grim we are prepared to shelter in a bathroom or windowless corridor and we can put everyone in travel crates, if it goes down hill from there we have an underground garage next door and we can go a live in our car.

SO our extended family right now consists of me Paul - I am 58 an expat from London who has been living in Kiev for 9 years. I have some peacetime military experience but nothing practical so I am not considering joining the local defence forces as apart from anything else my language skills are pants, there is also my wife Alina who would scalp me if I mentioned her age :) Alina is from Kiev and we are broken hearted about the damage being done to the wonderful people and places in her homeland. Our cats are Belle a 6 year old Scottish fold, Aza who is about 5 and came as a rescue from a local Vet, Cora who is about 18 months and whom we picked up off the streets in June. Our neighbours upstairs have 3 Scottish folds Timmi who is 10 and nearly 9 Kilos, Richie and an adorable girl named Koshka (Female cat or Kitty) and our next door neighbours have a beautiful Burmese also named Timmi I will post pictures soon but its time to go and clean Burmese Timmi's toilet and feed him.

More updates soon Inshalla 🇬🇧🇺🇦🙏

More updates soom
Great to hear from you!!! I am seeing the attacks on apartment in Kyiv on the television right now. The first thing I think of is you, Alina, the cats and the friends cats.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping all the cats!!!!

I am seeing so many animals on the streets via CNN. And seeing so many people escaping with their pets. And seeing rescues and animal hospitals in Poland helping rescue cats, dog, goats and other animals. Everything is beyond heartbreaking.

All the US former military analysts are so impressed by the resolve of the Ukrainian forces, the territorial defense forces and the citizens. All say Putin is either losing or has already lost. Putin even has had to ask China for help!!! Sadly, many fear as he loses more he will get more desperate. :(

Please stay safe. I am praying for you, Alina, the cats and all the people in Ukraine. The US citizens are really supporting Ukraine and hopefully that will push our government to do more to stop this senseless suffering and death. In many experts eyes it is not "IF" the US and NATO will get involved but "WHEN". If true, I hope that we do it now to save lives!!! I can't believe Putin and/or his top war criminals want to die in a nuclear war.

If we can answer your questions or give you information in anyway please ask. CNN is on our television all waking hours.

A US Defense official is saying now that "Almost All Russian Advances Remain Stalled".

There is some optimism from the Ukrainian officials (Presidential advisor) that something "concrete" will happen in the next few days. The talks between Ukraine Russia were postponed today until tomorrow. Let's hope and pray!!! That peace can happen.

I can't even imagine what Ukrainians and expats are going through. I WISH I had good advice, something to keep you and all the cats safe. I will continue praying and contacting my Senators and Representative to do more to help Ukraine. Many Americans are demanding more action so hopefully we are heard.

PLEASE stay safe, please do what is best. Thank you for the update and letting us know you are ok. Please keep in touch if possible.

Olena Gnes has a youtube called What is Ukraine if anyone is interested.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad you started a new thread, Paul, as this way more than just the few of us following your introduction thread will be able to see your updates, and send love and good thoughts your way. Thanks again for taking on the care of your neighbour's cats. You're all in my thoughts. Stay safe. :redheartpump:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am praying for you all; as I have been since we first heard. My kids have bee praying too. Before covid we had a local born missionary who lives in the Ukraine that would come 1-2 times a year when visiting his mother here. He has a stepdaughter near my kids age; so they would play together, inspite of their language barrier. I haven’t shared everything with them; but its helped them have faces and names to their prayers. I’ve followed a few updates on his Facebook page too. I’m praying this will end very very soon; to your favor and for all of your safety. :grouphug:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting an update. Even though I have never communicated with you here on TCS about your cats, I was very concerned when I found out that you were in Ukraine. Los Angeles had a very large march on Saturday; we have the 4th largest Ukrainian population in a US metropolitan area. Lots of us here are donating whatever we can to various organizations, but from our perspective it seems like a drop in the bucket compared to what you are facing. We read and watch all the updates daily, as I feel that the least I can do is to witness the horrifying unfolding events.

Your ability to even write your account, and your well thought out plans for yourself, Alina, and the cats who are both yours and those entrusted to you are very impressive. I don't see myself being any less than hysterical in this kind of situation.

We are praying for you to stay safe, for this to be over quickly and favorably for Ukraine (although favorably is a poor choice of words as for many that is no longer possible), and for your lives to be able to return to some semblance of normalcy.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you have started this thread and are kind enough to keep us updated. Its such a worrying time for you over there but the Ukrainian people are so brave and proud, I hope it will end soon in your favour and life can get back to normal. Thinking of you, Alina and those kitties you are looking after so well. Stay safe.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Read something this morning in NYT and Guardian about potential peace talks, but of course who knows, and it sure doesn’t sound like anything has changed from what you tell us. If there is anything at all we can do, let us know. A friend of mine started a go fund me specifically for pets, and managed to get her first contribution safely there…mostly pet backpacks & strollers so your hands are free, and paw salv for dogs walking long distances. Many Americans dropping their jobs and all else to volunteer to go and help. Stay strong, stay safe and use your good instincts to keep you that way.:rbheart: :rbheart:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting; I hope you manage to retain Wifi and/or cell phone service so you can continue to do so.

For what it's worth, I saw one interview with a woman who said that escaping through the forest was impossible because that's where all the Russian soldiers had gone to ground.

In Russia, they are arresting anyone they see talking to reporters. I saw a video of a woman telling a reporter how much she supports Putin and the cops came and dragged her away. There are a LOT of Russians protesting, at the same time as Ukrainians with relatives in Russia are reporting that their relatives don't believe their reports of what is happening. I don't know whether any of this information is helpful to you, but it seems relevant.

Please stay safe.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read something this morning in NYT and Guardian about potential peace talks, but of course who knows, and it sure doesn’t sound like anything has changed from what you tell us.
At last report Putin was basically saying that if Ukraine wants to surrender he'll consider peace talks. Sounds like a non-starter to me.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for all your support. I am currently in the centre of the city after struggling to receive my British pension as Hryvna on my card. What a pain but at least we are now set for a while. Here are the kitties we are looking after our Aza (black) Belle ( Scottish fold) and Cora

Attachments