Updates from Kiev

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the pictures. It's reassuring to see the cats well fed and content. :catlove: I'm glad you were able to receive your British pension albeit it taking awhile. More special thoughts, prayers and hugs being sent to Alina, you and the furry felines.:heartshape:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And Timmi from next doorView attachment 413732
Timmi 2 is GORGEOUS!!!

As are Aza, Belle, Cora, Richie, Kascha, and TImmi The First.

Thank you for sharing!!! And for taking care of all the cats.

Have you done anything to the windows to protect the inside of your apartment from potential broken glass? I am sure you know what needs to be done but I heard an MP say they did that.

How are your cats getting along? They have been doing really well to date.

Prayers for you all. The war criminals are striking civilian targets again but closer to the center of Kyiv. .I heard there are 300,000 buildings in Kyiv so I try to keep everything in perspective.

Like Margot and Margret I hold out hope for a diplomatic solution but remain skeptical. But the Ukrainian leadership does sound more optimistic. I pray they are correct.

3 European leaders are bravely visiting Kyiv today in a show of support.

I will say there is growing frustration amongst former military and diplomatic leaders in American in addition to the American people. Even anti-war people like me and demanding something to be done. Very many of those influential military and diplomatic former leaders want more to be done to stop Putin and stop this war in addition to many average Americans.. Hopefully that swell of support is heard in D.C. Someone needs to stop this death and suffering.

President Zelensky is viewed in a Churchill lens while Putin is viewed as a weak dictator like Kim Jung Un or a terrorist like Bin Laden. Putin will destroy his country and probably already has but we cannot allow him to continue to destroy Ukraine and the people and culture of Ukraine.

Putin's war machine has lost anywhere from 6000-8000 soldiers already. More soldiers lost in 3 weeks than the USA lost in the Iraq AND Afghanistan wars over 20 years!!! Russia does not care about their soldiers.

Putin's war machine also has lost 10-30% of the equipment they deployed in this war in 3 weeks. An estimated $5Bn of equipment and with sanctions Putin will not have the money to replace it. The Ukrainian military is destroying Russian equipment constantly.. And Russia is sending in 50 year old tanks towards Kyiv. Do they fear they will lose their newer equipment or do they not have it?

Russian citizens please stand up to save your Russian soldier sons and daughters and don't let Putin send them to death. Stand up and tell Putin to stop this war!!!

Many former US military leaders think in 10 days Russia will have to stop the offensive as they will run out of troops and equipment, fuel and food. Let's hope they are correct.

Russia economy is deteriorating because of Putin's war. The currency is declining, inflation will increase. There will be shortages of goods. For those Russians not in the war their quality of life will decline because of Putin's war. The Russian stock market can not even open for fear of collapse. Why should the Russian people suffer due to the evil of Putin?

Please keep updating us on you and Alina and the cats. Love and prayers. Please be safe!!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, today was tiring going to the centre of town but we are lucky to have a car and we managed to get gas a few days ago so we are set for a while with about 590 km of range that would be 300 miles or so in old money.

Timmi the Burmese is off our hands now, His owner's mother, Katya, lives next door on the 15th floor but the co-operative that runs the building have turned off the power to the lift - not sure if they think they are saving electricity or if it is a safety move but since Katya is a diabetic and has trouble moving around she decided to move into her daughters apartment - we are on the 7th floor of a 12 floor block and our lifts are working :) - I'm sure we will still be helping Timmi has company and so does Katya.

About a week before all this kicked off we traded in our 9 year old SsangYong Korando for a new Hyundai Palisade and one of the guys we dealt with in the dealer is now with the defence forces, Andrei sent me a picture of the Korando as our little mandarin is now which I will post separately but if you are of a nervous disposition I will say that the new owners are unhurt and are apparently in Lviv

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Katya managing for insulin? That must be a matter of concern for everyone who needs medication.

I can see why you refer to the Korando as "mandarin" it is certainly the color of those oranges.

Be well. Keep safe.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Truth be told I miss a lot of the details, my language skills are not very good so I have to say that I don't know about Katya's mdications. I do know that in about a week or so we will have to try to find a pharmacy with a stock of betamax for Alina but by then the whole situation may have changed.

Before the war kicked off the warnings were talking about a blitzkreig with Russian tanks in Kiev in 2 days nuff said I think :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, today was tiring going to the centre of town but we are lucky to have a car and we managed to get gas a few days ago so we are set for a while with about 590 km of range that would be 300 miles or so in old money.

Timmi the Burmese is off our hands now, His owner's mother, Katya, lives next door on the 15th floor but the co-operative that runs the building have turned off the power to the lift - not sure if they think they are saving electricity or if it is a safety move but since Katya is a diabetic and has trouble moving around she decided to move into her daughters apartment - we are on the 7th floor of a 12 floor block and our lifts are working :) - I'm sure we will still be helping Timmi has company and so does Katya.

About a week before all this kicked off we traded in our 9 year old SsangYong Korando for a new Hyundai Palisade and one of the guys we dealt with in the dealer is now with the defence forces, Andrei sent me a picture of the Korando as our little mandarin is now which I will post separately but if you are of a nervous disposition I will say that the new owners are unhurt and are apparently in Lviv
I am SO GLAD that you have the petrol to move around if needed/allowed etc.

I am glad that Timmi and Katya are with someone (daughter). Poor Katya, I hope she can continue to get her insulin. Maybe she should try to get resupplied or stock up. The horrors and sadness of this stupid war.

That picture is horrific. Thank God that they are safe and ok in Lviv.

I am sorry to hear about Alina and the medication. Is it possible to contact the pharmacy and get a refill sooner? I know hoarding is not good but access may be limited as well so if it is sitting on a shelf it is no good either. Such difficult choices, decisions. Unsure what is best. But I would call the doctor and the pharmacy and try to get a supply just in case.

The current warning is troops are coming from the south and the risk is the encircle and then bombard. Hopefully the military and territorial defenses stop them or a diplomatic solution is found before or the US and NATO do something.

I wish we had good advice, had good solutions. To help. I feel for Katya, for you, Alina, the cats, all the citizens I see on TV and the animals and pets. But feeling does not make it better. :/ I am praying and I do believe it is helping so far.

Also, if you have or if you can get masks to protect you, Alina, Katya from Covid 19 that would be wise I think. Just in case it is best to have them available to protect yourselves.

Please stay safe and all our prayers to you and everyone there.

Last edited:

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are still safe and well, Alina tells me that Katya's medication is all in hand. We will need to go out again tomorrow, different bank and different job but while we are out we may try to get all our medicines - it's going to depend on the queues

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We are still safe and well, Alina tells me that Katya's medication is all in hand. We will need to go out again tomorrow, different bank and different job but while we are out we may try to get all our medicines - it's going to depend on the queues
We are all praying for you night and day. 🙏 Our hearts and best wishes go out to you tenfold.:vibes::vibes:We greatly appreciate you posting and keeping us updated. May Alina and you be able to secure your medicines and may you stay safe and be well.:crossfingers::crossfingers:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that Katya's has her medications.

Is it safe to go out with the curfew going on? I am worried the forces are very nervous in defending against Russians and saboteurs. PLEASE be safe.

UK Intell is saying Russia is calling up more forces from across Russia. :(

Russians are attacking more apartment buildings again today in Kyiv to create terror and death and suffering. More war crimes. There are 300,000 buildings in Kyiv but it still makes me worry every time I hear about strikes.

Prayers for you all.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sergiy Stakhovsky won the tennis tournament Wimbledon. He achieved the top of the world, greatness.

He is now in Kyiv defending the city. He obviously has a lot to lose but is finding even greater greatness than any sport win. AMAZING.

The spirit of Ukrainians is "off the charts" in my opinion. In America we see it every day on TV. Sergiy is just one of many risking everything for something greater. The future of a people.

Russian soldiers are lacking the will to fight for obvious reasons. Immoral war. Fear of being destroyed by Ukrainian patriots.

The Mayor of Melitopol was rescued from the Russians by Ukrainian forces. Thankfully.

But sadly more civilians are being killed by the war criminal terrorists. Horrific news from around the country once again.

🇺🇦 GLORY TO UKRAINE 🇺🇦

🇺🇦 GLORY TO THE HEROES 🇺🇦

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All still OK, nothing bad has happened to us but we are hearing sirens and rumbling from afar. Obviously our faith is helping and we are listening to a lot of church music. I could use some suggestions for downloading as Alan Jacksons blessed memories is great but 20 times a day is a little much ;)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the African American spirituals from the time of enslavement. Such feeling from the soul. Paul Robeson has an incredible voice, and many others also.
They're not religious, but Swing music from the Big Band era always raises my spirits and gets my mind off things, from the 1920's, 30's, 40's etc. from America.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great success today, all the medications we needed we got after a couple of hours standing in the cold. Next stop was to look at one of the rental apartments and bearing in mind that our tenants evacuated very quickly to his grandmothers village it was in great condition so we are very happy and we even got an notification saying that a delivery service from a nearby supermarket saying free delivery will be available on Sunday - I am not sure what we'll get but it's worth a try:)

Tomorrow is Sabbath (we are Adventists) so we will be heading to church but on Sunday after the delivery it's off to Alina's friend Rima who has a large number of rescue cats (she won't say how many) and we'll deliver a couple of boxes of pouches, a bag or two of kitty litter and some dry food

Thanks for all your support everything has been quiet in our part of Kiev, (Kyiv if you insist) still got the rumbling in the distance but obviously I am not going to be driving around looking for trouble

Enjoy your weekends and give your furry friends a cuddle from us here

Paul and Alina