Updates from Kiev

Geul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to the forum, so I've just looked through the posts here. I also pray for the Ukrainian people. The videos and pics that I saw were so terrible... It is hard to imagine that something like that can happen today... So many people were killed, lives ruined...

And I want to say that the OP and his family are really good and kind people who take care of pets regardless of the war. May all of you be safe🙏

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been to the shelter that is looking after Marta while she recovers from spay operation - she will be back with her owner in about 5 day and full vaccinated in a couple of weeks after that - The shelter is in a lady's house and her whole family are involved in looking after a large number of dogs and cats both from Kyiv where some owners abandoned their pets to run and from Irpin where many pets escaped or enemy action made it impossible for evacuees to take pets with them. Alona was charged 6000 uah by one of the few operating clinics to treat a cat from Irpin who is suffering from what I understand to be kidney failure, we were able to donate something to help her but it's constant and never ending. The one bright spark is that in amongst all these truly awful stories of war crimes and destruction there are beacons of light when we encounter really good people and we can say thank you to God for letting our paths cross

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw one story where a couple carried their German Shepherd a good part of the way the last 7 miles to the Polish border. They couldn't take their dog on the bus, he was 12 years old and it was very cold. The dog could only walk short distances. The lady said that their dog was part of the family and they couldn't leave him.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw one story where a couple carried their German Shepherd a good part of the way the last 7 miles to the Polish border. They couldn't take their dog on the bus, he was 12 years old and it was very cold. The dog could only walk short distances. The lady said that their dog was part of the family and they couldn't leave him.
That made me cry.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I really don't have anything much to say again today, The news has shown traffic jams as Kiev residents who evacuated to the suburbs are now returning, I have seen the tramway running again, bread being delivered to the shops and bins being emptied so Kyiv is pretty much returning to normal. However this war is not over Russian is pressing on the eastern edge of Ukraine trying to grab all of Lugansk and Donetsk plus he is still hoping to get the land corridor to Crimea and I think take odessa to cut Ukraine off from the Black Sea. We are definitely in this for the long haul but unless unless something gets really crazy I don't expect to come under seige again (fingers crossed) .

Please keep pressing your government representatives to keep up the support for Ukraine because without you we lose- it really is that simple and Putin's sidekick Medvedev has said that Russian is "building a powerbase that will stretch from Vladivostok to Portugal" Ukraine war: Kyiv's successes do not mean imminent victory so NATO can defeat Russia in Ukraine or fight Putin on your own turf

Please let me know if you would like me to continue waffling on every few days, I am not really into this social media stuff so I don't really know how I should behave

Thanks for listening

Paul

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep updating us.. even on what you feel are the dull, drab details... We need to be in touch.. Some how it is a human need to keep in touch with someone who is in Ukraine... We need the social contact.. It is very import to us; who are far from it..

Paul, YOU may not feel as if you need to keep in touch; however, I think it is part of our humane psyche--the need for social contact with someone in your position.. It keeps things personal to us... It makes us a part of YOU--of all Ukraine..
We need that.
It is humanizing the War... so that we can understand how it is to live under these circumstances.. We are caring people.. We worry about our members/friends..

I guess it is, the only way we can show support for Ukraine and it's people. We are so far removed. We need the human contact ...

Now, If I am blabbering, I apologize to all...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Please let me know if you would like me to continue waffling on every few days
Yes, please do and add me to the list of waffle listeners. :thumbsup: It was very interesting to read about Marta and know that the animals are being well cared for in spite of the atrocities there. Once again, may Alina, the cats and you stay safe and be well.🤗

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I love waffles waffling. Even if it is only, "All is well here." Let's us know. We have all become part of this battle in some small way through our communications with you. I write my Congressmen almost daily about the situation there, and my concern.

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so it's an extra large serving of waffles for every one great - one of the best things about driving to Kyiv from London just after we were married back in 2010 was a a stop in Belgium for chocolates and waffles - definitly one of the 5 a day in my healthy eating plan!

The last couple of days we have just trying to slow down a bit, spend more time at home and actually spend more time introducing Cora and Belle. Cora is a stray we picked up from the street last summer, and while she and Aza get on ok with our Scottish Fold Belle it's not so good, We had been making progress before our life turned into a daily chase around back in November but after Belle chased and caught Cora a couple of times it has been harder (luckily no injuries but wow the noise!)

Today while we have been home Cora has spent most of her time on top of the kitchen since Belle has forgotten how to jump up there but actually fell asleep with Belle in the same room. When we went out to the supermarket Belle came along in her travel bag which gave Cora a break, the girls will eat dry food in the same room but we have wound back the clock and are feeding them either side of the living room door. The plans are to switch to feeding either side of the glass balcony door when it gets a little warmer and to alternate the sleeping places as soon as it gets warm enough to use the enclosed balconies over night -currently the living room balcony is only suitable for warm sunny days

Well there you go fresh Waffle with extra sticky goodness as ordered :)
Love to you all and especially your kitties
Paul and Alina

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update especially with fresh extra sticky goodness waffles, the best kind. :heartshape: I'm glad to hear you have been able to spend more time at home the last few days. I'm sure it felt good to take a break from your busy schedule. Fingers crossed Belle and Cora continue to show signs of progress. :crossfingers:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so it's an extra large serving of waffles for every one great - one of the best things about driving to Kyiv from London just after we were married back in 2010 was a a stop in Belgium for chocolates and waffles - definitly one of the 5 a day in my healthy eating plan!
I will never forget my visit to Belgium and the waffles. They sell them here in the states, even one food truck that claimed to have authentic equipment and ingredients, but not the same.

Yes, please do keep updating up, and know that we are all praying for you, your family & kitties, and all of Ukraine. We are coming so close in this country to losing our democracy. Ukraine is fighting for all of us, and I pray we and the world continue to provide help and support and even ramp it up. We can't let Putin and the dictators of the world win.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Paul and family of felines etc! I was surprised and pleased we have members in Ukraine! An inside connection to real people going thru the unimaginable.
I have been away from TCS as I was up to my ears in 21 ferals I rescued starting October last year.I had 10 in my little condo as they recovered from surgeries and I tamed them.
They were in a bad place with cat haters and I had to step in and do whats right. Trap, neuter, microchip, vaccinate, test, de worm de flea ,and ear tip (some) then drove about 15 hrs vetting finding barn cat homes for many.
Found indoor homes for 5 after taming them, and kept one luv bug boy whos about 9 months old.
Hes bonding with my 15 yr old guy Martin who wants to hate him but the little guy just luvs him up and now they cuddle!

I asked Chewy.com if they could send cat food etc to addresses in Ukraine a while back and they said sorry but no.
Every horrible image I see of buildings blown apart there ....I think of all the children and cats ,dogs etc in terror.

I had Belgian chocolate tonight- and do have it every day, 72% cacao and when I stop eating it every day I get weird headaches.
I cant have Belgian waffles cause i just eat till im stuffed. I think I'm gonna be a daily active member now that I know we have cat lovers there. God bless and stay safe.