Sombra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Korinmewmew. Me too I said "Oh no!" I never expected Sombra to be ill in any way. Least of all to catch a cold inside the apartment. I suspect the air conditioning to be responsible.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina do you get the filters in your air-conditioning unit cleaned? And the unit itself?[/QUOTE
Mani, they were cleaned at the end of last winter, that is end september. I only have it done once a year. Is that enough you think? The unit in the main bedroom, where Sombra sleeps with me, is brand new.

Thank you so much for your concern.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics can do that. I know that on the very rare occasions when I have been forced to take them, they've made me feel sick/nauseous or weak, because they not only kill the bad bacteria, they also deplete the system of necessary beneficial bacteria needed in digestive tract. So this may be why Sombra is a bit quiet.
Antibiotics also affect me tarasgirl. I avoid taking them unless it is really necessary. But I won't take any risks with Sombra. So far a I know this is the first time she is taking them. Fortunately she has eaten today, not as usual but enough not to be concernned. Let's see what the morning brings.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Mani, they were cleaned at the end of last winter, that is end september. I only have it done once a year. Is that enough you think? The unit in the main bedroom, where Sombra sleeps with me, is brand new.

Thank you so much for your concern.
golondrina golondrina yearly is, I should imagine, fine. :)
I'm a bit extreme with mine as it's in my yoga room and I have people all coming in to breath deeply and well.. In Summer I need it on so I go a bit overboard with it.

It's interesting that the one in the bedroom is brand new. I wonder whether there is something in it that has affected her... there can sometimes be an odour (new plastic, or some other thing) that is blown out the first few times it's used. I'm very sensitive to anything chemical, and noticed that with mine. And that kind of thing, for me, brings on cold-like symptoms (allergy).

If that's the case, she could well have reacted to it, but it would settle.

I'm just guessing here, but, as you say, it's so rare for a cat to just 'get a cold' like that.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning Mani, at least it is still "morning" here. Many thanks for the info regarding the bad effect that the AA can produce. I actually exaggerated when I said the AA unit in the main bedroom is brand new. It IS compared to the other units which have many years. The new one is 6 months old.

Be it as it may I am trying to get all of them taken care of but unfortunately my usual service technicians are on "holiday" at this time of the year and I haven't so far found a replacement. I'll keep trying.In the meantime I have turned all the units off. Fortunately the temperature has dropped to 76°F from 90°F.

Sombra seems better today. At least she is not coughing so much now and sneezes less often. The great thing is that she is eating and drinking , not as much as usual but enough to use the litter box normally.

Thanks again for your concern and help.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning Sombra has pushed to the floor the cushion from on top of the desk and is lying on it on the floor.. I wonder if feeling unwell she is trying to avoid being brushed (which she dislikes) since it is on top of the desk that she is normally brushed every morning. But she followed me to the kitchen at the usual time to get her treats (her reward after brushing). I didn't have the heart to refuse her and hope she won't take advantage in the future. It comforts me to see she is her naughty "resourceful" self in spite of being unwell.:coolcat:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks dustydiamond for your good wishes and posts about the humidifiers. Not sure that those exists here nor whether this is what Sombra needs. Will ask the vet about it.There must be humidifiers here even if not the same makes.

Many thanks to you also tarasgirl. Yes I will crush the antibiotic tablets and mix them with the wet food. This will change my feeding schedules but anything that will help to make her swallow the antibiotic is valid.

My airconditioning is not provided by the building administration. I bought 5 individual equipments , 2 for the living/diningroom, 1 for each bedroom and 1 for the kitchen. The building does provide central heating. It is a system I detest because I cannot regulate it. In the winter season I often have to put the airconditioning on because the apartment is too hot and I cannot open the windows either because of Sombra.

It is almost 4 pm and Sombra is napping on the carpet under the diningroom table. Normally she would be on the cat tree but yesterday and today she has wanted to do it otherwise. She is not sneezing and coughing as often this afternoon so hopefully the two injections she received this morning are already helping her?

Will keep you informed of developments.
"Many thanks dustydiamond for your good wishes and posts about the humidifiers. Not sure that those exists here nor whether this is what Sombra needs. Will ask the vet about it.There must be humidifiers here even if not the same makes."
I've seen some on amazon and ebay, there are many different brands. Note they are ultrasonic and emit a cool mist. The ultrasonic mist is pretty nifty, a facial tissue held in the mist won't get wet but the humidly in the room will rise.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again dustydiamond I am not too fond of ordering through Amazon. They charge me the delivery to Montevideo 3 and even 4 times the value of the article ordered. Also I don't like given the details of my credit cards on internet.

By the way Sombra is better. After some failures I am succeeding in making her swallow the anibiotic twice a day mixed with an Uruguayan sweet made with milk and sugar. It was the vet's idea and it worked.
She still sneezes now and then and hasn't yet asked to play. But she has recuperated her appetite. It is such a relief to see her eat again normally.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again dustydiamond I am not too fond of ordering through Amazon. They charge me the delivery to Montevideo 3 and even 4 times the value of the article ordered. Also I don't like given the details of my credit cards on internet.

By the way Sombra is better. After some failures I am succeeding in making her swallow the anibiotic twice a day mixed with an Uruguayan sweet made with milk and sugar. It was the vet's idea and it worked.
She still sneezes now and then and hasn't yet asked to play. But she has recuperated her appetite. It is such a relief to see her eat again normally.
Small steps and small improvements lead to complete health, I pray, for Sombra! It is a relief to hear she is eating well. She's getting those calories to keep her strong and healthy and help her fight off those sneezes. :yess::hearthrob::redtabby::hearthrob:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's good news, golondrina golondrina ! We know that Sombra is in good hands... Sending you and Sombra more good vibes and love :redheartpump:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you mama africa. I will be happier though when she will again ask to play. For the moment she is improving but sleeps a lot and is not climbing her cat tree. I wont be happy until she is herself again and drives me nuts wanting to play and defying the rules.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It just takes a little while, and the antibiotics will be making her a little flat and less likely to want to play.
I'm so glad she's on the mend and hope she starts being incredibly naughty again soon. ;)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just takes a little while, and the antibiotics will be making her a little flat and less likely to want to play.
I'm so glad she's on the mend and hope she starts being incredibly naughty again soon. ;)
How is Sombra doing, golondrina golondrina ? I hope the antibiotics have eradicated the cold and she is back to her mischievous ways...
Many thanks mani and Etarre. Sombra shows an improvement every day but is still quieter than usual. It is getting on for 2 pm and she hasn't sneezed at all today. For the midday wet feeding I normally call her and she goes running to the kitchen but today for the first time she asked for it herself.

Tomorrow she will get her last dose of antibiotic so I hope she will start feeling better from then on. She is normally so vivacious and full of vitality that it "hurts" to see her so quiet. However she is definitely getting better.