Sombra

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 250762
In my post 220 I forgot to mention that Javier will adopt Sombra when my time comes to join Pierre and Cucumella.

And this is Javier avec sa femme and children.
What beautiful photos! And that must be very comforting to have that assurance, should the need arise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am worried about Sombra. Last night she started sneezing and coughing and this has continued early this morning. The vet has just left after having inyected her an antibiotic and has left me some antibiotic tablets to give a fourth of each tablet every 12 hours. I'll see how I'll manage to make her swallow them. She behaved beautifully and the vet remarked on it. He said he has only a cold but to make sure she is eating normally.

Cucumella died from cancer at 16 years of age. She never had a cold in all of her llife. I wonder if Sombra was affected by the airconditioning which I had full on these days because of very high temperatures. We are in Summer here.

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I am worried about Sombra. Last night she started sneezing and coughing and this has continued early this morning. The vet has just left after having inyected her an antibiotic and has left me some antibiotic tablets to give a fourth of each tablet every 12 hours. I'll see how I'll manage to make her swallow them. She behaved beautifully and the vet remarked on it. He said he has only a cold but to make sure she is eating normally.

Cucumella died from cancer at 16 years of age. She never had a cold in her all life. I wonder if Sombra was affected by the airconditioning which I had full on these days because of very high temperatures. We are in Summer here.
Sending love and wishes for a speedy recovery for Sombre :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump: :sickcat::redheartpump::redheartpump::sunshine:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely think it could be the air conditioning. The drier air could be irritating her nasal passages. Lily sneezes a lot when I run my humidifier; the reverse of what Sombra is experiencing. The point is that changes in humidity can affect a cat. I have no suggestions as your heat makes you run the AC. Maybe raise the thermostat a little?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely think it could be the air conditioning. The drier air could be irritating her nasal passages. Lily sneezes a lot when I run my humidifier; the reverse of what Sombra is experiencing. The point is that changes in humidity can affect a cat. I have no suggestions as your heat makes you run the AC. Maybe raise the thermostat a little?
Maybe try using some mist-ers. They

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you dustydiamond and DreamerRose. I have stopped the airconditioning today. The problem will be tomorrow when my housemaid will be here all morning. To expect her do her work with 90°F is not reasonable. I will then put the AC on at a much lower rate and only in the particular part of the house she will be at a given moment turning it on and off as required and keeping Sombra away from the areas the AC is on. The housemaid only comes four hours twice a week.

In the meantime we will see how I'll manage to give Sombra the antibiotics starting this evening at 8 pm and how she reacts to them.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond, what are "misters"? please.
Hi, sorry, I didn't realize my stupid phone had posted. I had to switch to the chrome book to upload photos.
They emit a cool microfine mist and work great. I also have one of the small ones on my desk at work. I don't recommend the Crane brand (the larger one) the fan is extremely noisy. Other brands work better.
20190106_101527-1.jpg
20190106_101606-1.jpg

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
The chrome book which has my photos on file has a damaged keyboard, half the keys don't work. It has a onscreen keyboard function but it is a real pain in the butt writing with it so I have to switch between it and my phone. I will be so glad when I can afford to replace the keyboard.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending *PRAYERS* and best thoughts for Sombra, golondrina golondrina ! I hope she'll take her medicine, maybe crushed and mixed in her wet food? Or tucked into a soft cat treat or butter or bit of meat? I'm glad you can regulate the air conditioning in different parts of your home -- I have whole-house heating/air conditioning but can't afford to use it much, and cannot regulate which rooms have it which rooms do not, so we just have to endure whatever the temperature is, for the most part. Blowing cold air might be why Sombra is feeling "under the weather" so it's good you can have a place where this is not happening. And you are so fortunate to have a vet who makes house calls!!! All the best for sweet Sombra and let us know how she's doing, won't you? :vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat::hearthrob::goodluck:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks dustydiamond for your good wishes and posts about the humidifiers. Not sure that those exists here nor whether this is what Sombra needs. Will ask the vet about it.There must be humidifiers here even if not the same makes.

Many thanks to you also tarasgirl. Yes I will crush the antibiotic tablets and mix them with the wet food. This will change my feeding schedules but anything that will help to make her swallow the antibiotic is valid.

My airconditioning is not provided by the building administration. I bought 5 individual equipments , 2 for the living/diningroom, 1 for each bedroom and 1 for the kitchen. The building does provide central heating. It is a system I detest because I cannot regulate it. In the winter season I often have to put the airconditioning on because the apartment is too hot and I cannot open the windows either because of Sombra.

It is almost 4 pm and Sombra is napping on the carpet under the diningroom table. Normally she would be on the cat tree but yesterday and today she has wanted to do it otherwise. She is not sneezing and coughing as often this afternoon so hopefully the two injections she received this morning are already helping her?

Will keep you informed of developments.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks dustydiamond for your good wishes and posts about the humidifiers. Not sure that those exists here nor whether this is what Sombra needs. Will ask the vet about it.There must be humidifiers here even if not the same makes.

Many thanks to you also tarasgirl. Yes I will crush the antibiotic tablets and mix them with the wet food. This will change my feeding schedules but anything that will help to make her swallow the antibiotic is valid.

My airconditioning is not provided by the building administration. I bought 5 individual equipments , 2 for the living/diningroom, 1 for each bedroom and 1 for the kitchen. The building does provide central heating. It is a system I detest because I cannot regulate it. In the winter season I often have to put the airconditioning on because the apartment is too hot and I cannot open the windows either because of Sombra.

It is almost 4 pm and Sombra is napping on the carpet under the diningroom table. Normally she would be on the cat tree but yesterday and today she has wanted to do it otherwise. She is not sneezing and coughing as often this afternoon so hopefully the two injections she received this morning are already helping her?

Will keep you informed of developments.
Oh, that explains a lot about your climate control, golondrina golondrina . I had 3 room air conditioning units where I lived 2 locations ago, and there were 2 wall heaters (gas). Altogether, they did a good job of keeping us fairly comfortable. I know about that kind of problem with heat as a lot of people in the eastern part of the US have that in rentals where the super controls the temperature. It must be bad! I actually get sick if it's too hot when I'm trying to sleep and to work.
Yes, I hope those antibiotics are already helping your little treasure!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks mama africa. Somehow your post with the echanting card must have arrived as I was writing my last post. As I mentioned in that post Sombra is not coughing so badly or so often so hopefully she is already benefitting from her treatment. Will keep you up to date.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you aliceneko. She has been very quiet today. Hasn't asked to play at all which is very unusual for her. But her coughing has slowed down. Hopefully she is already improving a little.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you aliceneko. She has been very quiet today. Hasn't asked to play at all which is very unusual for her. But her coughing has slowed down. Hopefully she is already improving a little.
Antibiotics can do that. I know that on the very rare occasions when I have been forced to take them, they've made me feel sick/nauseous or weak, because they not only kill the bad bacteria, they also deplete the system of necessary beneficial bacteria needed in digestive tract. So this may be why Sombra is a bit quiet.