Sombra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try seeing if she'll curl up in a box, and then picking her up in that and weighing her, subtracting a few ounces for the box...? I feel that way about my Tarifa, too, but she's really just about perfect. I like cats a tiny bit on the chubby side, but they are supposed to be lean.
Taking advantage of Sombra's loafing on top of my desk I placed the balance on the floor, stepped on it and took Sombra in my arms. If the result is correct she weighs 4 kilos i.e just over 8 pounds. Does it sound possible?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah! perhaps we should consider the fact that she is a small cat, a lot smaller than Cucumella was. On the other hand she does look to me as if she could gain some more weight. Also I'll try to get a more reliable balance, the one I have "waves" a little before you can read it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah! perhaps we should consider the fact that she is a small cat, a lot smaller than Cucumella was. On the other hand she does look to me as if she could gain some more weight. Also I'll try to get a more reliable balance, the one I have "waves" a little before you can read it.
Sometimes a cat will surprise you, how solid she can be. My Tarifa is substantial in my arms, but she is a cat of small stature.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina , Juniper is very small, too, and I've had the same worry about her being underweight. When we adopted her, she was listed as just under 7 pounds. She has a very long body, though, so you really only notice how tiny she is when she is all curled up or when you pick her up (which you do at your peril). But you can feel her hip bones, which worries me. Although we feed her twice a day at specific times, there is always food left in her bowl, so we know that she is getting all of the food she wants, and I think she's filled out a little since we got her (I can feel her backbone less, I think?).

We're planning a vet checkup in the next months or so, and I'm going to check her weight and ask whether she's within a healthy range.

Gwen was an eater, and always on the pudgier side, so I hope I'm just used to her and being a bit paranoid.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina , Juniper is very small, too, and I've had the same worry about her being underweight. When we adopted her, she was listed as just under 7 pounds. She has a very long body, though, so you really only notice how tiny she is when she is all curled up or when you pick her up (which you do at your peril). But you can feel her hip bones, which worries me. Although we feed her twice a day at specific times, there is always food left in her bowl, so we know that she is getting all of the food she wants, and I think she's filled out a little since we got her (I can feel her backbone less, I think?).

We're planning a vet checkup in the next months or so, and I'm going to check her weight and ask whether she's within a healthy range.

Gwen was an eater, and always on the pudgier side, so I hope I'm just used to her and being a bit paranoid.
The experts say it's good for a cat to be lean. There's a test you can do where you stand looking directly down on your cat, and if there is a defined "waistline" in front of her hips, but she is not TOO thin, she's just right, basically. Doctors have criteria they use to rate body mass index, just like with humans. Here is a link, and there are other links at the bottom of the article that you may find helpful: Cat BMI You should be able to feel the structure underneath, and there should be defnition. It's popular for people to like chubby cats -- I'm one of those people who does -- but it's actually not healthy for cats to be overweight.
I used to feet wet food twice a day, with dry free choice. I now feed wet three times a day (5.5 oz. for each cat) and dry free choice, because I've read that a lot of cats do well being fed three times a day. In the wild, of course, they eat when they can, so I'm not sure about this. But my cats are thriving at 10, 13, and 14, so "if it works, don't fix it", right? :yess:

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina - Bob says that as soon as he's finished with the manuscript for his new book, "How To Eat More And Eat Better," he'll send Sombra a copy. He's on page 11,459 right now.

bobcontent.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina - Bob says that as soon as he's finished with the manuscript for his new book, "How To Eat More And Eat Better," he'll send Sombra a copy. He's on page 11,459 right now.

View attachment 235239
If you're not careful, you're liable to wake up one morning and find that Bob has EATEN the entirety of Upstate New York. *Be scared. Be VERY scared.*