Sombra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Etarre. I know you too are adopting a young kitten after having lost your 15 years old only cat. My 16 yeas old Cucumella died from cancer last november. Dealing with young kittens will no doubt be a new experience for both of us. I will follow with great interest your posts on your lovely Juniper.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Sombra (Shadow in English) Although I had planned to adopt an older cat I couldn't resist the appeal in Sombra's eyes. She is 4 years old and will soon be my own little girl. View attachment 229128
golondrina golondrina - Oh, Heavens, she's absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on finding and adopting this beautiful little girl.

She appears, from this photograph, to be a proper Silver Tabby:

"silver tabby" - Google Search

who have their own version of the I (Inhibitor) Gene (I-4) which creates four-colour hair shafts. If you're interested, there's a type breakdown here:

Gene I: Inhibitor

This is fabulous news; I'm so very happy for you - and for Sombra as well!

moozoom2.gif
moozoom2.gif
moozoom2.gif

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you OneCatOverTheLine. I have printed the information you provided to read it in comfort and keep it for reference. Interesting that the studies on colouring seem just as important as on breeds.
golondrina golondrina - The Feline Genome Project is, indeed, very important indeed; it's taught us a great deal about health problems in cats, and has taught breeders how to avoid such problems - and most of this is due to the work of one woman - Les Lyons - who built quite nearly from the ground up, many of the programs at the University of California, Davis which we not take for granted (feline DNA testing first and perhaps foremost among them). Doctor Lyons' Silver Tabby Study (an open-to-public-contribution study which focuses entirely upon the I Gene) can be found here:

Silver and Golden

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina , it was quite a change from a sedate senior cat to a younger adolescent, and I do feel like I've forgotten everything I used to know about having a younger cat, but in some ways it helped. I am trying hard not to expect Juniper to replace Gwen, and to let her be her own little personality.

The photos you posted of Cucumella with your family in the 'tender moments' thread were a really beautiful testament to how important she was to all of you. I look forward to following your journey with Sombra as she joins your family!