Sombra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for being always so present mama africa. Sombra seems quite well. The vet will see her next friday. On the phone he tells me that if she is eating and eliminating well and can jump up to the top of my desk and the top of the cat tree there cannot be much wrong with her. It is true that she has gone back to her usual ways in every respect sauf for her indifference towards her toys and previous "hunting" games. And she sleeps for longer periods now. Of course those who cannot appreciate the change on her cannot see why I am worrying. I hope the vet will take me seriously. I'll keep you updated mama africa. I very much appreciate your concern.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally the vet has seen Sombra today instead of tomorrow. After a throrough examination he tells me she is quite well. He even remarked on the excellent condition of her teeth. He says that her present lack of vitality is due to the corticoid injection he gave her 19 days ago and that this will wear off in the next two weeks or a month! I am not happy about this at all. I knew he had injected her an antibiotic but he never mentioned the corticoid. I wouldn't have agreed to it had I known as I don't like corticoids. This vet is a replacement. Everybody who counts is on leave during the month of January in Uruguay even my own doctor.

I don't see what need had Sombra for corticoids. She only had a cold. Now I'm worried that a permanent damage may have been caused to her. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad Sombra got a clean bill of health.:redheartpump:

Honestly, I do not think this one injection will harm her. I really do not think so. She is young, healthy, and is recovering nicely.

My last guy, who had a ton of issue, was on daily steroids.. it was for a reason, but he did ok..

This was a one time thing, so I would not worry. :alright:

Sombra is healthy.. She is young. She will be fine. I promise...it does take a while for it to get out of your system; about 6 weeks.. I had a few cortisone injections in my joints so I can relate really well.

Sombra is through the worst of it. She will improve, especially with the love and attention you provide her with. ((hugs))

I would question the fact that this Vet gave her a medication without checking with you first.. and then not even telling you about it.

I would raise a ruckus if it was me..

:heartshape:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that Sombra's checkup went well, but don't blame you a bit for being irritated with the vet. All medications should have been checked with you before being administered, and although I don't know anything about corticoid injections, it does seem like overkill to give her something that effected her energy levels so much for so long. Not to mention that they caused you a lot of worry!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Etarre for your understanding and support. I have been "investigating" this matter with different sources and it does seem that it is a common occurrence for vets to inject corticoids as well as antibiotics for cats' respiratory infections. Actually alhough Sombra was sneezing and coughing she didn't have a running nose or running eyes and no temperature. So it seems to me the antibiotic should have been sufficient. Hopefully in a few weeks she willl be herself again. I'll keep in touch.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi doomsdave. When I adopted Sombra 9 months ago I was told at the shelter that she was between 3 and a half to 4 years old. If that was correct she would be getting close to only 5 years old now. Do you think she is old enough to change her playful ways? As I mentioned before the vet says that her lack of activity is due to the effects of the corticoid injection she had 20 days ago which should wear off in a few weeks time. Otherwise she is quite well.

As for me, I won't get my peace of mind back until I see her playing and running around as she used to do up to only 20 days ago.

Thank you for asking doomsdave. It helps to know I am not the only one who cares.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi doomsdave. When I adopted Sombra 9 months ago I was told at the shelter that she was between 3 and a half to 4 years old. If that was correct she would be getting close to only 5 years old now. Do you think she is old enough to change her playful ways? As I mentioned before the vet says that her lack of activity is due to the effects of the corticoid injection she had 20 days ago which should wear off in a few weeks time. Otherwise she is quite well.

As for me, I won't get my peace of mind back until I see her playing and running around as she used to do up to only 20 days ago.

Thank you for asking doomsdave. It helps to know I am not the only one who cares.
We all get a bit less playful as we age, alas.

Sombra’s well along into adulthood. My new kitten is just a crazed bundle of energy compared to all my other older cats.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
golondrina golondrina . You are most certainly not the only one that cares. We all care on this site not only about ourselves and our cats but also we feel that we know the people and their cats here too, as is the case with you and Sombra. We all want to know how she is doing and how you are coping. We know our cats and we notice even little changes. Sometimes our vets might think we are overworrying but we know that they are not quite their usual self. I hope Sombra starts to be playful and active soon so you can relax and stop worrying. Keep updating us.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you verna davies for your encouragement and good wishes. I don't want to be too optimistic but I think I have today "glimpsed" a favourable change in Sombra's behaviour. For the first time since she became ill I caught her scratching the dining room carpet. And a few minutes later she climbed
DSCN8838.JPG
a bookcase and tried to open one of the doors, two of her old naughty tricks for which she has been scolded many times in the past. I was so pleased that I didn't have the heart to scold her, I had to refrain from petting her.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
And a few minutes later she climbed a bookcase and tried to open one of the doors, two of her old naughty tricks for which she has been scolded many times in the past. I was so pleased that I didn't have the heart to scold her, I had to refrain from petting her.
That's great to hear! :clapcat: She's getting her old self back.

Please don't scold her but give her hugs on behalf of us :hugs:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad Sombra is getting back to normal.. and 'back talking' to you!!!
Artie used to do that.. and I would tell him..
"Don't you start back talking me!"...

Of course, he was not impressed....

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you artiemom. Sombra's return to her normal behaviour is slow but there is a little improvement everyday. She still spends much of the time lying down but today she did react when I threw a ping pong ball at her. She threw it forward and ran after it. She did it only once but it is the first time she reacts like that and runs since she became ill.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley:@golondrina ! Just catching up with this thread - I've missed so much! I am sorry to read that your sweet Sombra has been suffering with a respiratory infection and hope she is well on her way to good health again.

What excellent news about her teeth being so healthy. :clapcat: I wish that I could say the same about Chula! These annual dentals can get very pricey!

Gosh Sombra is gorgeous. Her coat is really lovely. :catman:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello margd, thank you for your encouragement and concern. This morning when I woke up Sombra jumped on my chest to resume her morning kneading and grooming duties she had discontinued since she was unwell. She is very thorough about it, neither my face, throat or arms are forgotten She is still lying down most f the time but she is definitely "coming back"

Regarding her teeth, one of the treats she gets as a reward for accepting her daily brushng are "Cat Delicious Mint Scented Dental Fresh Snacks" which I suppose help. They are from Brasil but I suppose there must be the equivalent in the USA?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just catching up here, and I'm so pleased that Sombra is turning back into her old self. It must be such a relief for you.
I think daily brushing is definitely a brilliant thing to do if she allows it. I wish my two would! I'm sure Sombra would like me to say that the treat is also very useful.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mani you have made me smile. Sombra used to wriggle and kick to get away from being brushed but the treats have worked and she has been accepting the brushing without a problem for sometime now, even during the worst period of her cold. As soon as I stop brushing her she follows me to the kitchen to get her treats. Thanks for your concern.