Sammie's Not Doing So Well..... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, & because she ate & drank so little yesterday, there was nothing in the litter box this morning. Usually she goes sometime early morning, but hasn't since last night.
I did manage to geva little pumpkin in hrr, so hope it works. It was probably about 1/2 tsp mixed w/ a little water. Offered, but she wouldn't, so syringed it in her mouth. Was 1 & 1/2 of the small syringe. Im hoping she'll poop, then feel better to eat more.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, time for the post appt. Evening update. ..
I got home this afternoon, & she hadn't touched her food, & she still hadn't pee'd!
I rewarmed her food (5 sec.s in microwave),
Held the dish up to her to try & get her to eat. Nothing. Exhausted, I broke down crying..." Please baby, you've got to eat."
A few minutes later, she came out & finally pee'd! A good size one too. Then went to her water dish, so I warmed her food again, & set it beside her water. She ate a little for a minute.
At the vets she weighed 8.2, down from the 8.6 last time. The vet got 10 lrg syringe fulls from the right side, which is always the side. Today, we decided to see what we could get from the left & was 9 syringes full!
The fluid also had more blood in it this time.
Her gums were a little tacky, & she was a little dehydrated. ...which I know sounds crazy, when we're draining all this fluid off her chest. She did a split line, so she could also inject a B-12, & an Iron shot. Hopefully between being drained on both sides, given fluids, a B-12 & iron shot she'll feel a little better. Gave her 1/4 cypro when we got home, so just waiting for it to kick in, & hopefully she will eat. She HAS to eat!
The vet said with her being a little anemic, & there could be fluid in her abdomen now too, shes not sure how shes going to do this week. We made an appt for Friday at 5:00.
(She is off on Thursdays, & is off this Sat..)
So, Im hoping its just to drain her again, but depending on how the rest of the week goes, & how she does, Im affraid it may turn into "that" appt. Im not ready to say goodbye to my little girl yet. Its breaking my heart into a million pieces, but if she doesn't start eating, & is going downhill fast, it may be time. The vet asked me if I was feeling that yet, & I said that I know its coming soon, but have just been waiting for that "knowing" feeling. That even last night, she is still jumping up on her tree, to the top level...
(She does so good, we didn't even need a tech to help. I just kept her still, & stand at her head, giving her kisses, telling her shes being a good girl, & doing a good job. While my other hand is on her back, keeping her still). This is so hard.

I just pray for clairity on this.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yay, I got her to eat quite a bit.
Thought maybe she was ready for something different, so fixed her 1/2 a 3oz can of f.f. beef. She ate a good amount a couple of times. I'd hold it for her, then she'd stop & take a break, let it go down. Gave her a couple of minutes, then she ate some more. I think almost half, but after hardly eating for 24 hrs, i'd like to see her finish it.
You could tell she was finally hungry, she was taking some good bites. :clap:
So afterwards, I fiddid see where she went, so looked for her. Not under my bed, not under my parents bed....looked in the spare bdrm/ office under the trindal bed, nope...
:headscratch: Where is she??? Turned around & there she was under my dads desk. Watching me the whole time! :blackcat2: ......little stinker!

Its dark, but you can see her hiding behind the trashcan.
IMG_20181211_191409979.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Listen to the vet. It sounds like shes starting to get into the bad part of this illness. Honey you have done so much for this little girl. No one can say you didn't try. You did. You guys spend this week taking pictures and hugging her...it probably wont be long if shes not urinating enough and is having blood in her fluids...I'm so sorry Kelly. I wish we could fix it. I really am sorry. :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelly,
I am so glad that she finally ate,that will give her more strength.It is so good that she still jumps up on things.You have to take it one day at a time and see how she does.I am praying for you to have a miracle.Hugs and kisses for her all the time.She knows how very much you love her.I know how very hard it is to take all this. I am here for you always as you were for me with Omelette.You are doing a great job for Sammie. Give her some big bear hugs for me.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat & kittylove53 kittylove53 ,
Thank you both. As well as everyone else reading & praying!
Yes, I just gave her, her pain meds, & then rewarmed her food. She ate some more!
I told her to eat some to get that nasty medicine taste out of her mouth. She has definitely eaten 1/2 of it now, but would still like to see her finish, just don't know if she will. Yes, thhats what I was thinking of why she wasn't eating. The fluid needing yo be drained. It still sucks that thete wad a lot of blood in it. Im sure the B-12 & iron helped too, as well as fluids.
No, she doesn't sleep next to me. I wish she did! Shes never been a cuddler. Only when wer'e done at the vets, then shes crawling on me! She sleeps on her blanket on my bed at best. Otherwise its under a bed.
At our old place, I had a blanket & bed for her at the end of my massage table, & she slept there.
Angel wasnt a big cuddler either, but he'd at least lay along my leg, or kind of spoon w/ me when I'd nap. I think it was because I had a blanket. :)
Right now its just day by day, but I know its coming soon. It is hard though, when she
Goes back & forth like this. Im on an emotional rollercoaster is right!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10:00 & going to bed. Exhausted!
But, not w/ out one last warm up & offer of food for Sammie. She is still under my bed, so extended it to her, laying on the floor.
....the things we do for our babies!
She did great. Ate a lot more! Only a little left. Hope she will eat it tonight, but we'll see.
This is all that's left.
IMG_20181211_220514608.jpg

This is it scraped up in a pile for her.
Easier to see amount.
IMG_20181211_220639142.jpg

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just getting up & praise God, this is the best thing to see now!! Also went to bed w/ her on her blanket, on my bed, & woke up a few hrs later to see her go up to the top of her tree. I haven't looked yet, but shes probably under my bed now .
IMG_20181212_073938211.jpg

Now, fingers crossed, she'll do well with breakfast too. Going to try the other half can of that f.f. beef.

Ended up giving her some friskies chicken, indoor w/ the greens. She likes that one.
She did good. Ate about half, the gave her meds. Now she just looks sad. :(
IMG_20181212_082316851_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im affraid it may turn into "that" appt. Im not ready to say goodbye to my little girl yet.
Nobody is ever ready for such a thing, even in a million years!

Im sure the B-12 & iron helped too, as well as fluids.
B12 takes weeks to kick in. This vitamin must be administered for a long time following a calendar of shots. A single shot does not help much.
Same thing with iron.
I think that draining fluids from her chest and giving her sub-Q's to hydrate her have helped much more.

I know how you are feeling, because I was there before. And it's a rollercoaster of feelings, and other things I don't feel like telling you right now.
Stay close to your precious Sammie!

Hugs to both of you!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly, what brand of dry food is that in the square white dish? It looks good...
LOL! Its from a sample bag of natural balance kitten food. :lovecat3: I also put a couple of treats in there, but she hasn't been interested. She hasnt hasnt eaten any of the dry since a couple of wks ago now. I threw it out last wk, & put fresh in there yesterday, in case she wanted any, but she hasn't.
Good news..... got home at 3 today, & my dad left a note that Sammie had come out from under the bed, finished her breakfast & drank some water, then went back under.
I was SO happy she ate the rest of her breakfast!! I was so proud of her! I looked under the bed, & told her "good girl!! "
IMG_20181212_171218659.jpg

So momma is doing the happy dance! :banana1:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!! Not doing as well on dinner, only ate a little & has been under my bed. Going to give her the cypro, but at this point, (7:30) might as well wait to pull her out for pain meds at 8:00, & do both at the same time.

Oh yeah, forgot to add after yesterdays appt.
Dr. Said she wasn't constapated. She didn't feel anything in her. She just hadn't been eating enough. I kinda figured that too.
She was also down from 8.6 to 8.2 lbs, & that was before being drained. Hard to believe she only weighed 7 something lbs when she first came to me. She was lean muscle then though, getting all thst exersice outside.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a great night guys. :(
When I pulled her out to give the meds, she was not happy! Not that she ever was about it, but she moaned & even did a little growling this time. I just kept saying, "I know, I'm sorry, (kiss, kiss), but mommy's just trying to help you feel better. After, I held her on my chest for a while, gently petting her, scratching her neck. When she got off, she barely made it to her blanket, just 2 feet away. Sat there for a few, then I tried to pull the blanket under her, to help her & she got on it, & curled up. She wasnt intetested in more of the chicken, so I warmed up the other 1/2 can of f. f. Beef from yesterday.
Held it in front of her, & she ate a little. Slowley eating a little at a time.
But the way she seems tonight isn't good.
Shes spent most of the past 3 days under the beds. :( Im not sure what our friday appt will be if she stays this way. I just laid here & cried thinking about it. She just seems so sad. Her Dr said to her, " let me see those eyes, beautiful." She said she looks a little depressed & a little anoyed to be there. .. .. .I guess im feeling like we're on a downsloap of this crappy rollercoaster, and im not sure where its going next. :sniffle:

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not a great night .. .I guess im feeling like we're on a downsloap of this crappy rollercoaster, and im not sure where its going next. :sniffle:
Hi Sammie, I am so sad to hear your story. Please know I'm thinking of you guys. I am in the exact same boat as you, and this community has been a tremendous support. My kitten (16.5 years) was diagnosed with CHF in July and I've been watching her decline since. She's also on Lasix (and a couple other things). Her weight went from 11 pounds to 6.5, and she does eat a bit but it can be tricky. She still purrs, still hangs out with me (if anything is a bit cuddlier), but she's a weak gal and though I dread the moment she passes, I know it's coming soon (whether I initiate it or not), and I'm trying to keep her comfortable.

Things that I think have helped her in terms of comfort:
(1) Lasix via injections: I was reluctant at first but once I got the hang of it and test different needles, it is virtually painless. I bought specific needles (these ones CAREPOINT 12-7903 (CS/5) BX/100 CAREPOINT VET INSULIN SYRINGES, U-100, 3/10CC, 29G, 1/2" (12MM)) after I realized (and vet confirmed) longer needles are actually better. My cat doesn't feel a thing when I pinch her neck and then I know she gets her Lasix.
(2) Transdermal gels instead of pills: I'm not sure if you can get prednisone in a cream form (and it is expensive) but if you are able, another lifesaver. I give my cat a shot of Lasix and then apply two transdermal gels to either ear. Made a huge difference from trying to get three pills into her three times a day.
(3) Aspirin: Not sure if you need to give your kitty aspirin but when I do, I crush it between two spoons and mix it with a toothpick with a small amount of hairball or nutrient gel. When she's unsuspecting I swipe this small gob right into mouth and she eventually swallows.
(4) Pedialyte - this is a unflavoured liquid you can find in any drug mart or grocery store. It's meant for dehydrated children (apparently great for hangovers too!). I tasted some, and while it doesn't taste great it's essentially water with nutrients. I give my cat a few squirts from a syringe every now and then when I feel she needs it. Not super pleasant but does give me a bit of peace of mind.

The only thing that comforts me through this awful journey is everyone knowing what you're going through on this forum and that one way or another, it will get better <3.

Status
Not open for further replies.