Sammie's Not Doing So Well..... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi my friends, I know I'm not here as much as I used to be, or would like to be.
My cleaning business is just about full, & with it being just me, it's busy.

This past week Sammie hadn't been eating as much, & I was afraid she'd get into dangerous territory, so I got her worked in at the vets yesterday. The vet also noticed her breathing was a little labored, so she took chest x-rays. Sammie had fluid in her chest cavity!
......This is how it all started with Angel! This is the best vet ever. She saw tears fill my eyes, & hugged me, saying she didn't want to have to tell me that. She went through it all with me, with Angel. She drained about 10 large syringes full of fluid! (was only 4 w/ Angel).
Then an ultrasound revealed a mass on her liver. :sniffle:
The fluid was sent off for testing. Doing a biopsy on the liver mass depends on what comes back. She said if it comes back cancer, then we have our answer. If not, then we will biopsy the mass. We should know this week. I just can't believe this is happening AGAIN!
She's only my second kitty. After all I went through with Angel, My first, & he definitely was my "kitty learning curve." She was supposed to be my healthy girl! Labor day was just our second gotcha day. .....Feb. 5th will just be 3 yrs since Angel's been gone. (she showed up 7 months later.

I think I'm in shock!!
Makes me wonder if there's something in that neighborhoods kitty gene pool??!

The Doc didn't want to start her on steroids yet, until we know what exactly we are dealing with. She was sent home with appetite stimulants. Luckily, I didn't have to give her one this morning. She ate just fine. I think having the fluid drained made her feel better.
She's been acting pretty normal otherwise. getting up in the windows, & sleeping on her blanket on the bed. I am just praying for the best, but am in a holing pattern until we know more.
This year has not been the best by far! As some of you know I had to unexpectedly move back in w/ my parents at the end of June. NOT the thing you want to do at 49!!
(thanks to my jerk of a slumlord! After 20 yrs of me & my parents helping, upgrading & making over that old house/apt. I got a whole 30 days! but that's a whole 'nother story!)

Thanks for listening! I'll keep you posted!
Not a happy girl. To have had so much done, she did pretty good though. Poor girl.
IMG_20181110_102420687.jpg
IMG_20181110_102410749.jpg

Both sides shaved for draining, but only got fluid from the right side. Then belly shaved for ultrasound. :(
IMG_20181110_125558815.jpg

IMG_20181110_134045244.jpg
snuggling on her blanket.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You got her to the vet for testing - the best thing. Glad she got some relief from the fluid draining. Don't despair just yet. Wait for the results of the test, and please let us know what they have found at that point.

It doesn't have to be a repeat with Sammie of what you had with Angel. Just wait and see and then come back to here and let us know. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I really appreciate that!
So far I haven't had to give her an appetite stimulant, but this morning is still to be determined..... Fixed her breakfast about 30 minutes ago. Giving her some time. She just went to the litter box, so maybe now she'll eat.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any blood test done?
My poor cat had fluids in her chest too while having liver issues. Her blood works revealed a liver failure of unknown origin.
She was drained 5 times over 4 months.
Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, they took blood. Test for the fluid will be BK this week. Ultrasound did show a mass on her liver. Depending on what comes BK from the fluid, we may be doing a liver biopsy.
It just makes me sad, because none of it sounds good! :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, they took blood. Test for the fluid will be BK this week. Ultrasound did show a mass on her liver. Depending on what comes BK from the fluid, we may be doing a liver biopsy.
It just makes me sad, because none of it sounds good! :(
Do you have the results for the blood test?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, an HR & 1/2 & she's only eaten a little bit, & I had to hold the bowl in front of her & ask her to eat a little for mommy. So, I just gave her the appetite stimulant. It's only 1/4 of one. I was really hoping wouldn'thave to give her one.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she did tell me that something was on the high end of good, & something else about the liver, but in the midst of all the info, & emotion, I can't remember exactly. I emailed her this morning, so when I hear BK, I can ask, or I'll just call & ask the girls up front. The invoice only has the test done on it, not the results, so it doesn't tell me anything.
Here it is.
IMG_20181110_120645893.jpg

So much for getting my care credit pd down!
Oh well, over $200 at the vets has a 2 yr differed interest, so w/ me doubling my payments to pay it off, ( for a few months now) this will be pd before the interest kicks in. ....Always something!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually this document isn't telling us much, but nonetheless I consider it very interesting so that I can compare US vet prices with what I use to pay over here in Italy.
And I can say that they aren't much higher that what I know, maybe the X-ray is bit higher.

Waiting for the results :)

Status
Not open for further replies.