Rescued Mommas, Kittens And Momma To Be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That was intense. I went for weighing the newborns. I wasn't sure that momma was going to allow it. But she accepted it as long as I was quick. (I was VERY careful and quick with scratches for her between.

Born Saturday, May 6th, so 3 days old.

#1 - 141 grams (4.97363 ounces)
#2 - 148 grams (5.22055 ounces)
#3 - 142 grams (5.0089 ounces)
#4 - 143 grams (5.04418 ounces)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the newest litter doing? They are all so precious! You have your hands full!

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is the newest litter doing? They are all so precious! You have your hands full!
Oh gosh do I!! The new litter is doing well, gaining weight and visible changes in their tiny bodies. Mom is slowly becoming less nervous about my touching them.
I'll get some photos today and post by tonight.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So feeding question on my first 7 kittens and mommas. (I'm going to have to name them all soon because this is getting confusing.)

2 Mommas, 5 at 5+ weeks and 2 at 4+ weeks. The 5 are eating wet food okay, sometimes not that interested. The bigger of the 2 younger is starting to show interest. And the stub tail momma really needs to gain some weight (I think she is lossing even with all the food offered.)

Right now I keep a bowl of Babycat kibble full and feed 1.5 larger cans (5.8 oz. each) of wet Babycat twice a day.

So the real question: how much should I be feeding them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Who is eating the kibble and the 1.5 cans?

Does each mom get that, or do they split it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is not enough food. The two moms and kittens should get double that.

More food will also help your underweight queen who has lost weight.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. I'll work out better wet food feeding dish and up to 6 cans for them a day. If they aren't eating all of it?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought y'all might like an update.

Litter of 5-All fat and happy at 6 weeks. Today we discovered there are 3 males and 2 females. The director of the rescue is so surprised with their growth. Says they will hit 2 pounds in no time.

Litter of 2-At 5 weeks, one fat and happy and one sick. Three days on antibiotics with not much improvement means a second trip to the vet. Also discovered that both are male.

Litter of 4-At 12 days, grown to a litter of 6 with 2 adoptees. Except for the second adoptee, all fat little kittens. Their eyes are opening and they are wiggling around the nest more and more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's great to hear that they are mostly doing well!

Is the kitten sick with a UTI?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's the slightly weird part. I didn't receive a diagnoses. Sunday morning I discovered it with its head severely cocked to the right. The rescue set us up with an appointment on Monday with their vet, thinking something had gotten in his ear. Vet says ears are clear but running a fever. Gave me Clavamox 0.15mg twice a day. I got concerned yesterday because he was sleeping more and talked to the rescue director. When she came out tonight, he is up and around but still head cocked. She is going to contact the vet about recheck and probably different meds. Except for head tilt, fever and a little less active then littermates seems fine.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The video I did isn't in a supported format. Here are some photos I pulled from it.
IMG_1162.PNG

IMG_1163.PNG