Rescued Mommas, Kittens And Momma To Be

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like it may be a virus causing the fever. It also sounds like the head tilt is neurological, also possibly caused by the virus.

I went through this with a cat of mine. It was of unknown origin, but 2 rounds of antibiotics plus daily prednisone got her healthy again. She had a slight head tilt for the rest of her life though.

Don't stop the antibiotics in the meantime. Do ask the vet about prednisone.

Let us know what the vet says tomorrow. I hope he continues to improve. Is he still eating well?

You can upload the video to YouTube, then post the link here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The head tilt was finally resolved. I took the kitten to my regular vet compared to the rescue's vet and she discovered evidence of an inner ear infection. After a round of a stronger antibiotic his head is completely straightened. He is almost a pound lighter than his littermates but doing great!

Last edited:

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So another issue. One of the oldest litter started developing small scabs all over except his head and extremities. Took him to vet and she says allergy to either fleas or food. So she prescribed a very small dose of Presidone and flea treatment to eliminate flea allergy. But if spots not getting better need to treat for food allergy.

So the question, is 9 weeks too young to place him in a kennel by himself and too young for straight dry kibble? I have a limited ingredient, rabbit protein based, dry kibble I could feed him but not sure old enough for just dry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not put him in a crate by himself. He needs to socialize.

It sounds like "flea bite dermatitis" to me. Getting rid of the fleas will allow the scabs to heal. The prednisone will alleviate itching. If the scabby areas do not heal, a round of an antibiotic will help.

You'll need to treat all the kittens for fleas, vacuum floors, and wash all kitten bedding in hot water to kill flea eggs and larvae.

Have fleas been an issue?

I would not change his food just yet. Wait and see. He needs wet food along with kitten chow.

Awesome to hear that the kitten with the head tilt is now cured of his ear infection! :)

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These babies! One of the males from the youngest litter (5 weeks old) has lost significant weight and developed tremors. He is refusing food. Starting to syringe feed him but need to know about how much KMR I need to be basically forcing him to eat. He is down to 300 grams and no vet until tomorrow if we can get in.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He needs 7mLs every 2 hours, or 84mLs total over 24 hours.

Poor baby. :(

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He needs 7mLs every 2 hours, or 84mLs total over 24 hours.

Poor baby. :(
Then he is dedinitely underfeeding. I'm feeling lucky to get 2-3 mLs on some feeding. And those are 3 times a day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S selenasong

Try to at least get 2-3mLs in him every couple of hours for now. Less but more often to help him gain some weight back.

How is the older kitten who had the scabs?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Everyone was treated for fleas. And they are currently irridcated. But his scabs are worse. So Friday I took away the free feeding and he gets fed separately. While everyone else is staying on the Fancy Feast wet and Babycat kibble, he is getting Royal Canin Limited ingredient Rabbit and pea.

He will be staying with us longer than his littermates. The rescue is looking at spaying/neutering within the week and adopting them out. But he can't go with his scabs. I'll be setting him a follow up with the vet. I know with dogs that have skin issues I have given a bath with oatmeal based soap. Wonder if it might help him?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S selenasong

Try to at least get 2-3mLs in him every couple of hours for now. Less but more often to help him gain some weight back.

How is the older kitten who had the scabs?
Would adding honey or Karo syrup to the milk help? By increasing the calorie count? Or possibly cause more problems?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet report:

Kitten with scabs - vet says steph infection and maybe ringworm. Though the scabs don't present as ringworm. Antibiotics and meds for ringworm.

Little gray - low blood sugar. Undoubtedly he had quit eating entirely and dropped way too low. Don't know why he quit eating. Hill's Prescribtion Diet a/d wet food mixed with water and syrgine fed. Back to vet each day between now and Saturday for sugar check and shots.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness the vet is all over this. I hope the kittens begin to improve this week. Please keep us updated. :)

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To the vet we went this morning. They gave him a cocktail shot and fed him 23mL of watered down a/d. On the drive home he had another seizure and urinated. I've gotten him another 20mL in the last 5 hours. And will get another 10 before bed.

My biggest concern is the seizures. He has had 3 that I know of since Sunday night. Not sure how many when we aren't holding him. One Sunday night, one Monday night and one Tuesday afternoon. Vet's office says he hasn't had one while with them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Poor little fellow.

How was his sugar level today?

Can they give him anti-seizure meds tomorrow?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was feeling really good this morning. He was awake and meowing at me when I came to his bed. Started fighting the syringe then climbed in the bowl of food. After licking his paw I started dropping his food on the edge of my thumb and he ate 10mL by licking off my thumb. And pooped last night and this morning.

Then had a seizure that involved his whole body and lasted 1.5 minutes though didn't urinate. Going to ask about what the cocktail shot is. Maybe overnight was too long not to eat? But only way to know Wonder be glucose moniter and I don't have one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's great that he ate so well!

I thought perhaps the vet checked his glucose level.

Can you record a seizure to show the vet?

Also, ask about anti-seizure meds, and even antibiotics.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet has been checking his glucose levels when he is with them. And they have been better since started syringe feeding. Curious where the levels are at when he has seizure.
Shot cocktail is B12, antibiotics and steroids.
I've recorded two and shown her both.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though everything possible is being done for him, so I will pray that the seizures stop.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today the seizures became very violent and very close together. He had 5 within 40 minutes. The decision was made to assist him over the rainbow bridge.