Rescued Mommas, Kittens And Momma To Be

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can weigh the babies, but best not to handle them unless necessary. They are fragile and moms get very nervous.

Did you put soft blankets in her nest?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that time we will switch to Newspaper pellet litter (instead of shredded paper) and change the nesting material (if she uses it).
My little town must not carry this because I've never heard of it. Is it a type of clumping litter? If so, you don't want to use it until the kittens are 12 weeks old. Kittens are like babies, everything goes in the mouth. If it clumps with urine, it clumps in the tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can weigh the babies, but best not to handle them unless necessary. They are fragile and moms get very nervous.

Did you put soft blankets in her nest?
Yes we did that just happen to be one I don't mind losing.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little town must not carry this because I've never heard of it. Is it a type of clumping litter? If so, you don't want to use it until the kittens are 12 weeks old. Kittens are like babies, everything goes in the mouth. If it clumps with urine, it clumps in the tummy.
It is compressed pellets of newspaper and no clumping ability. I was very warned about clumping litter with young kittens. One company is Yesterday's news and another is called Esquisticat.
What I've seen so far is it coats the poop in the hard pellets. And when they pee it absorbs the liquid and disintegrates.

51500018258__647AA990-57B0-44A8-B1B4-F0F6411FFC51.JPG

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I've never seen that. I will keep using clay however, since I'm anal. When it comes to non-clumping litter, I clean in the morning, then in the afternoon I dump it, scrub the box with antibacterial soap and add new litter. This stuff would be too expensive to do that with.
As far as when do you switch, as soon as the kittens can defecate on their own, the litter comes out. So it's your choice.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weight Update:
#1-330 grams (11.6404oz.) +5 grams
#2-299 grams (10.5469oz.) +11 grams

#1 and #2 are the younger ones

#3-450 grams (15.8733oz.) +34 grams
#4-376 grams (13.263oz.) +21 grams
#5-449 grams (15.838oz.) +28 grams
#6-415 grams (14.6387oz.) +6 grams
#7-397 grams (14.0038oz.) +23 grams

No new kittens.

Last edited:

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I've never seen that. I will keep using clay however, since I'm anal. When it comes to non-clumping litter, I clean in the morning, then in the afternoon I dump it, scrub the box with antibacterial soap and add new litter. This stuff would be too expensive to do that with.
As far as when do you switch, as soon as the kittens can defecate on their own, the litter comes out. So it's your choice.
It definitely isn't clumping litter, which I prefer (with my adult cat). But it is better then the plain shredded paper that pregnant cat is using.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are going on their own, then use it. Actually, I don't see why you can't use it with mamma cat. Although, as mentioned before, I've never owned a mamma cat so I could be wrong on that one. I've only dealt with bottle babies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clay. Until they are 12 weeks.
I meant I break out the clay litter. Not it comes out of them.
The clumping litter ( I love A&H Naturals) is for the older cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She means use only non-clumping litter with kittens for 12 weeks; clumping after that.

You can go ahead and change the pregnant mom's litter now if you want. It seems like it would be more sanitary to do so.

The weight gains are excellent again!

How are all the moms doing?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. I understand better now. The clay isn't what's unsafe. The clumping action is.

The newspaper pellet would definitely be more sanitary. But we were concerned about her deciding to use the litter box as her birthing place. Which is why shredded paper was suggested.

Bob tail mom is leveling off on her eating. Not gobbling everything as soon as offered. She will be checked this coming week to determine whether pregnant.

Long tail mom is eating more wet food and been eating kibble. Her eyes are a little less exhausted and she has been getting up and walking around more. I'll have to get a feel of her to see if she is putting on weight. And probably give her a good brushing. Want to let them settle from being moved first.

Pregnant mom is just hanging out and trying to escape her condo. Her eating goes up and down with both the wet food and the kibble.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for clarifying that Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . I have been running around trying to do 20 different things, and after 2 weeks of 80 degree temp, it snowed yesterday, so I'm feeling a little buggy. I'm not too clear in explanations right now.

And they are absolutely adorable.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
#1-341 grams (12.0284oz.) +11 grams
#2-323 grams (11.3935oz.) +24 grams

#3-473 grams (16.6846oz.) +23 grams (male)
#4-383 grams (13.5099oz.) +7 grams (female)
#5-468 grams (16.5082oz.) +19 grams (female)
#6-429 grams (15.1325oz.) +14 grams (?)
#7-405 grams (14.286oz.) +8 grams (female)

Still no new kittens.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for clarifying that Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . I have been running around trying to do 20 different things, and after 2 weeks of 80 degree temp, it snowed yesterday, so I'm feeling a little buggy. I'm not too clear in explanations right now.

And they are absolutely adorable.
Sounds like Oklahoma in the last few day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! The kittens are growing very nicely!

The newborns will look tiny to you when they are born compared to these kittens! ;)