Rescued Mommas, Kittens And Momma To Be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bet bobtail mama had the first litter, with long-tailed mama following less than a week behind. It would explain the weight differences and why bobtails are only found in the bigger kittens.
From the stories we were getting, the property buyer saw a litter about 3 weeks ago and thought long tailed cat was very pregnant. Forward 3 weeks, we have one grouping of kittens and no pregnant long tail. So if bob-tail gave birth to first litter helps explain why she is willing to explore more away from kittens. And if long-tail within a week, then explains why she is more into not leaving them.

If right then some are 3-4 weeks old (and interested in wet babycat food) and others are 2-3 weeks old.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yuck, but that is Oklahoma. I spent my summers on Grandma's cattle ranch in Tahlequah until I was 18. Never heard of a paralyzer tick until recently. Does Oklahoma have those? You might want to check for chiggers also.
Haven't heard of paralyzed tick. I know Lyme disease can cause paralysis.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S selenasong

Welcome! :wave3:

Feed the underweight mom as much wet food as she wants. Begin offering a dish of kitten formula (KMR) a day, preferably the powdered by PetAg mixed with clear pedialyte instead of water.

I also suggest you get Nutrical paste, and give her about an inch a day for extra calories.
My friend in rescue is going to get me some breeders edge kitten formula. She says let whom ever wants it drink.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worm meds are safe for all - kittens, moms, and pregnant mom.

Flea medicine - Advantage II - is safe for moms and pregnant mom. Babies can be flea combed, but don't get a kitten dose of Advantage II until 5 weeks. However, when a small kitten is crawling with fleas, I have applied a drop or two to the back of the neck with a syringe.

Ticks need to be paralyzed with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol, pulled off, and destroyed. Whoever has ticks needs antibiotics to guard against Lyme disease.

Weights are good! I stick with what I said before - the 2 smaller ones are a week behind the other 5. I think the 2 smalls are about 2 weeks old and the others about 3 weeks.

Where are the cages? In a barn or garage?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kennels are in a back corner of our company shop. It is quiet without being secluded. And temperature controlled. We turned the heat up from the traditional 63 it stays at.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the lights lowered at night? Putting the heat up is good.

Is someone with them tonight since you have a cat possibly in labor?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the lights are lowered. We did not stay. Our presence seems to make her anxious. She started climbing the kennel walls and pacing. Which she had not been doing.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No new kittens this morning. And she is calmer and purring, which she had quit doing last night. Still see movement in her belly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats tend to be more active in the evening in general.

I wonder if she is laboring and purring through contractions?

Are the other moms and kittens well today?

Last edited:

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think momma to be is weird. But I've never been around pregnant cats.

Kittens are well. Lots of activity from the older 5. They've learned to get over the divide into the other kennel. And 'attacking' each other.

Bob tail momma is eating really well. And getting fat. Y'all have me worried about another litter. (I hope not.)

Long tail mom has eaten though not as much as I'd like. Mostly she lays there with kittens attached feeding or sleeping attached. The 2 younger seem to be her constant companions with the others coming and going.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to get bob tail mama to a vet to check for babies? You might want to go ahead with a spay/abort if she is, in fact, pregnant again.

Do any of these kennels have privacy from one another?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree you need to get bob tail checked for a new pregnancy, and decide what to do if she is.

Is tired mom the only one nursing all 7 kittens?

Are you able to get KMR for her, and give her other things such as nutrical paste to supplement her?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to get bob tail mama to a vet to check for babies? You might want to go ahead with a spay/abort if she is, in fact, pregnant again.

Do any of these kennels have privacy from one another?
My husband and I were just discussing her possibly being pregnant again. He didn't think that could happen so soon. I told him that if I understood what I had read on here correctly, she could get pregnant as soon as 1 week after giving birth.

They do and don't. We have sheets draped over the back section of momma to be. So the nest we provided her is secluded. The male has a sheet draped mostly over him (to calm him and catch spraying left after neutering).

Since we run a business from the shop I have limited space for their kennels.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree you need to get bob tail checked for a new pregnancy, and decide what to do if she is.

Is tired mom the only one nursing all 7 kittens?

Are you able to get KMR for her, and give her other things such as nutrical paste to supplement her?
Tired mom is not the only one nursing. She seems to be the primary for the 2 youngest. And bob-tail nurses when she lays with them, which is any time when she isn't eating or trying to get out when I open the door.

I'm supposed to get the KMR from my friend today. Where do I get the paste?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I were just discussing her possibly being pregnant again. He didn't think that could happen so soon. I told him that if I understood what I had read on here correctly, she could get pregnant as soon as 1 week after giving birth.

They do and don't. We have sheets draped over the back section of momma to be. So the nest we provided her is secluded. The male has a sheet draped mostly over him (to calm him and catch spraying left after neutering).

Since we run a business from the shop I have limited space for their kennels.
Yes, she could be pregnant again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Nutrical paste is at pet stores. Vets also carry it.

It's good that both moms are nursing. I was worried the tired mom might be shouldering the full load.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weight update:
#1 325 grams (11.464oz.) +22 grams
#2 288 grams (10.1589oz.) +15 grams
#3 416 grams (14.674 oz.) +26 grams
#4 355 grams (12.5223 oz.) -29 grams (unless my first weighing was wrong)
#5 421 grams (14.8503 oz.) +21 grams
#6 409 grams (14.4271 oz.) +37 grams
#7 374 grams (12.3106) +25 grams

Long tailed mom was up and walking around more today. She got up and went to the kibble bowl while we were with them. She is eating more of the wet food. She still looks exhausted. Maybe the KMR and the Nutrical paste will help perk her up.

And no kittens yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear that long-tailed mom is eating well and getting up more. She may be somewhat exhausted until the kittens wean.

The kitten weights look terrific! I hope it continues.

Hopefully, Mom-to-be is resting up for what's to come! :)

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to hear that long-tailed mom is eating well and getting up more. She may be somewhat exhausted until the kittens wean.

The kitten weights look terrific! I hope it continues.

Hopefully, Mom-to-be is resting up for what's to come! :)
I kinda wish momma to be would just get it done. This waiting is terrible. Though I've been told to leave her and them alone for a few days after birth. At that time we will switch to Newspaper pellet litter (instead of shredded paper) and change the nesting material (if she uses it).