Rescued Mommas, Kittens And Momma To Be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think tomorrow I'll see it mom to be will let me look at her nipples and vulva. See if any other signs of getting close.

I'm wondering if she doesn't like the nest either. Not like she is getting to pick. Or I guess she is, she could have them in the litter box.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, 6-10 grams per day is a bare minimum for healthy growth. More is always better! If kittens do not gain the minimum there is usually an issue going on.

Your kittens are doing great and getting a great start in life. Yours are gaining the weigh they should! :)

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick little update.
All the kittens are growing well. They are up and the older litter is getting everywhere. It is amazing how they go from stumbling around to walking steadily in 7 days!! The older 5 are also eating wet food and Babycat kibble really well. And using the litter box consistently.
The 2 younger ones are starting to try to walk which is about right for 3 weeks old (according to my understanding).

All adults have been treated for worms and fleas, and we are working on the ticks and mats.

Still no kittens from our pregnant cat. That will be the next update unless we have an emergency.

Thank y'all so much for helping me with this adventure!! Without you I'm not sure I would have the guts to try this again.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have newborns. Left her an hour ago with no changes except she was cranky. Then my husband texted saying we have babies. Two so far.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, they look so healthy! Are they all latching and nursing well?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Momma wiggles around and gets upset when we get close enough to tell that. A little later this evening (a little farther from birth) I will watch better.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The smaller of the orange ones died. It looks like everyone is latching on and I sometimes hear sucking noises. But mom is very antsy and getting out of the nest when we get within 3-4 feet. So trying to stay back and keep her I. The nest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry to hear that. Leaving mom be sounds best for now since she is getting upset.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This afternoon she is allowing me closer to look, as long as I don't stick my hand close to the kittens. Kinda had to since I moved her food and water close to the nesting box. They are all ruttting around on her belly, then get still. I have only heard they cry when she starts to lay on them. They look a little plumper today, though they are SO tiny compared to the other 7.

Short update on others:
5 oldest are really moving around. They are starting to show some individual personalities.
2 younger are exploring the half of the kennel condo and showing interest at what is going on away from momma. And they are chubby little things!
I'll get photos tonight.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Litter # 1 (4 weeks old)

This is my lap baby. It crawls right in my lap when I open the kennel.
IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As new momma calms I'm goin to replace the soiled ones. According to what I've read here towels are a bad idea. Suggestions for new nesting material?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Soft blankets or pieces of fleece work nicely. Kitten claws can get caught in the terrycloth loops of towels. Some people use soft baby blankets.