Rescued Mommas, Kittens And Momma To Be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Thank you for your help. I am so glad that I found this site and have gotten such wonderful advice.

This last experience would have been devasting and made me question fostering again if wasn't for this support and fact that the vet said he had started to show improvements in everything except the seizures.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saga continues. Dasher (the kitten with scabs) has been on antibiotics and ringworm medicine since Tuesday morning. As well as back on the Fancy Feast wet food and Babycat kibble. The scabs are now sores and he has a spot on each eyelid. He is scheduled for a biopsy on Monday. And I'm putting him back on the limited ingredient rabbit protein food immediately! I told my husband and the rescue director I would bet high dollars it is food allergies though the vet says he should be too young.

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, goodness! Poor Dasher!

I'm with you, allergies would be my inclination now too.

Have they tried him on any prednisone yet? It may help.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first vet (my regular) visit resulted in a round of prednisone. That diagnosis was probably flea allergy maybe food. Treat for fleas give a few days and if not showing improvement than change food.

As the scabs were lingering on Monday (3 days into food change) the rescue had me take him to their vet. That one diagnoses him with the staph infection and possibly ringworm, resulting in antibiotics and ringworm meds. Since vet thought he was too young to present food allergy then back to other food.

That photo of his belly just does not show how angry those spots are. And they are starting to show as holes in his fur.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dasher' biopsy is tomorrow. Hopefully we will get some answers on how to help his sores/scabs get better. Been on antibiotics since Tuesday morning.no improvement, got worse. He has been on the limited ingredient dry kibble since Friday night. Looking at his spots today they are looking better, not so much raw to the spots and the ones in his eyes are shrinking.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps both the diet and antibiotics are just now kicking in and beginning to help.

How long before you get the biopsy results?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking my oldest litter may have grown to more food. This group has 6 11 week old kittens and 2 queens. Feeding twice a day, recommended amounts of 3oz. cans of wet food? I've got a 3 or 4 cup bowl of Babycat kibble that they get at the same time.

I don't free feed anymore because if the one kitten we are treating as food allergy. Trying to leave him with family as long as able.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens need feeding more than twice a day until they are 6 months old. They really need at least a third feeding, and possibly a fourth at this age.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I received a call on Dasher's biopsy from the rescue. The results are Cutaneous Mast Cell Cancer. The vet says that cases she has seen with this have not gone well. That the cats become uncomfortable, in pain and degrade in health. She is recommending euthanasia.

Vet is going to check with an oncologist whether we will have to worry about the other kittens in his litter or whether he may be isolated case.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! That's awful to hear. So sad. I'm so sorry. :(

Is there no treatment?

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! That's awful to hear. So sad. I'm so sorry. :(

Is there no treatment?
I'm going to pick up a copy of the report tomorrow and take it to our vet. Based on what I was told on the phone no long term treatment. May be that they are malignant and well spread. Know more details tomorrow.

Weird part is we have an adult cat that was diagnosed with Mast Cell Tumors caused by environmental allergies. If we keep her allergies under control with Zyrtec (sometimes more) then her's doesn't flair.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up the pathology report and scheduled an appointment with my vet (Dr. E) for Monday afternoon. Though so far everyone says this is a weird case.

The rescue's vet (Dr. L) says that she spoke with the pathologist. The pathologist says that the cancer started somewhere else in his body and the scabs are a secondary. The malignancy stated in the pathology report is from the original which hasn't been found. The part that confuses everyone is there are no other symptoms and he is "too young" for the malignant cancer some where else. Dr. L wonders whether his skin Mast Cell tumors could be managed with antihistamines and LimePlus dips until the cancer spreads and his quality of life declines.

More Monday hopefully.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How strange and confusing. :ohwell:Hopefully treatment can buy the kitten time.