Recently Adopted Stray Cat From Kill List

Status
Not open for further replies.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These things just take time, you HAVE made progress, it just doesn't seem like it. It may take literally months to get him comfortable, mine took a year. a tip, don't give him too many treats, a scant handful a day, I noticed mine got diarrhea from them, you don't want that coming back. He will come around, you'll see!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, since I do not have any experience with ferals, you could also read a book out loud, while You are in the same room with them. It kind of gets them used to your voice also.. and leave a grungy piece of clothing in there, to get used to your scent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so I checked on Vlad when I got home. He is still in his box and I noticed the bottom of the box is soaked in urine. He appears to just be peeing wherever he is, making me feel pretty confident he is likely incontinent.

This poses a huge challenge, as we can't have a cat peeing all over the house, and he is nowhere near letting me attempt to diaper him if that ever even becomes a possibility.

Not really sure what to do at this point.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has this been happening all along. Or just since you moved him to the other room. Maybe you can use puppy training pads for now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, use the puppy pads in his box, he may very well be peeing out of pure fright since the surgery and everything going on. Make sure there are two littler boxes in the room, some cats like one to pee in and the other to poop. Ha she been incontinent since day one, or is this a change? If not, then it is fright and change. I feel fro you, you have a huge challenge on your hands. But the rewards will be that much sweeter. You have saved his life, don't give up!

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:(We suspected it had been happening from day one, and now I know for sure.

This is a hug problem, we really can't have a cat in our home peeing uncontrollably, with no way to get it under control. Our house has other animals, and the room he is in now is only empty temporarily. Being incontinent means hell spend his life inside a crate, and that sounds awful.

I'm reaching out to organizations near me to consider finding him a home as a barn cat after he is operated on and healed.

This is a huge stab to my heart, but his quality of life staying with me under these circumstances will be awful. :(

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought you had seen urine in the litter box at times? Also is there a chance that the surgery might fix this issue?

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was urine in the cat box but he was spending all his time laying in the litter box at the time. When I gave him a cat tent, he started laying in there and that's when I noticed there wasn't much if any pee in the litter box. When I replaced the tent with a cardboard box it was soaked in urine. And now that the box is soaked and the litter doesn't have urine I know why.

I haven't been able to find any information about amputation reversing it. Most information I've found suggests it's more likely to cause it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you know it is uncontrollable? It could be a bladder infection. Can you ask for an antibiotic injection to be given at home?

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't inject him. I am covered in bites and Socrates just from giving him treats, or reaching into his crate to clean his litter box. I can't afford to keep taking him to the vet, either. I'm still scrimping and saving just to get him an appointment for his amputation.

I really wish this had been in the paperwork, this is all beyond my ability to provide.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet if he could send a tech to inject a week long antibiotic because you think he has a bladder infection. Explain he is feral.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again, I just can't afford to keep doing all these things. He needs to be where where someone can properly care for him. They won't just arbitrarily give antibiotics, they will require testing. I'm still working my butt off to get him his amputation and neuter.

Trust me, I was up all night weighing the possibilities. This organization put me in a horrible position by not mentioning any of his ailments, and I am in no position to be able to care for him. I've been put in contact with programs specializing in handicapped ferals for barn cat programs. I'm waiting to hear what they recommend. This isn't about what I want, it's about what's best for him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry Vlad's complicated medical situation wasn't clearly defined by the shelter before you adopted him. I hope you are able to find someone/somewhere that will be a good fit for the dear boy. Good luck. :crossfingers: :hugs: :redheartpump: :catrub:

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate all your support, guys. I've been contacted by two rescue programs. I won't give him up if he isn't going to have a good place to go.

He's still hiding in his box.

I'm setting up an appointment for an exam this week.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading that Stress can cause bathroom problems, it may be temporary.
just my 2¢

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. After contacting a barn cat shelter program, I was told to hold off on the surgery to see if they could get a shelter discount.

I've since been transferred to three separate organizations. The consensus of which seems to be Vlad is more than I can handle.

So far, I haven't been able to find anywhere for him to go. Still waiting to heat back. But if anyone knows anyone in Massachusetts or near, please let me know.

He still won't come out. He is still hissing and scratching when I try to clean his crate.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you put a post on the SOS page and say you're looking for a barn cat rescue in Western MA?
I'm so sorry you're going through this. =( Poor Vlad too.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you happen to contact Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston?? or their affiliate in western Mass? Try calling the ASPCA..

Or Even Tufts Veterinary Hospital.. both Angell (ASPCA) and Tufts, deal with western Mass. I think they have barns...not sure about non-rehabilitated cats..but try

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I'm currently waiting for contact back from three separate no kill rescue organizations.

I won't put him back into a kill center. I can't and I won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.