Recently Adopted Stray Cat From Kill List

Status
Not open for further replies.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for getting back to me..maybe I can find someone in that general area. Will ask around and post here if any results. Best of luck, I know this is hard and you are great people for helping!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to feel like I can't do this. If the report I was given had stated he might be fiv+, was aggressive, and needed a tail amputation I likely would not have adopted him.

At the moment, I'm so overwhelmed I'm spending much of my days fighting back tears.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel terrible for him and this horrible life he has, and even worse that I'm completely unqualified to care for him

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a deep breath. I have an FIV + kitty and he is a huge love bug. Once the neutering happens and the hormones have settled, cats rarely fight enough to have a puncture wound deep enough to transmit FIV. I have 5 other cats in my house and never worry about him spreading it. FIV is not FELV.

Once he is neutered and his hormones are out of his system ( this can take 3 weeks or so) he will be much more mellow.

Please do not give up on him. We can all do our best to help and support you here. Call you vet and ask for help too.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not giving up, I promise. I'm just venting. Feeling overwhelmed, is all. I have three step children I've raised for the last decade who are a mess of emotional issues as a result of their bio moms physical and mental abuse. So dealing with hurt and untrusting creatures are not new to me.

Still, I was unprepared for the state of this poor boy.

Today I kept the sheet on his crate up after I fed him his evening me. I want him to get used to eating when I can be seen. I know that's a vulnerable time for them. So far he's only done it while we are out of the room or asleep. Today, after apparently being too hungry to wait, I finally got to see him actually stand and walk. Incredibly rewarding. Baby steps.

I did find a vet willing to do it for significantly cheaper, but he gave me a creepy chop shop kind of feel. And I'm not willing to risk Vlad's health to save a few bucks.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again, guys. Just knowing you're there helps my peace of mind.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Baby steps are good. And we are here to listen, or I guess that's read, about Vlad's good days and, hopefully decreasingly, bad days. So please keep us posted. :grouphug:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Baby steps are best! Celebrate the small accomplishments.

Go with your gut in finding a vet. You will know when you find the right place.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Can you please share some photos of Vlad? I'd love to feature this thread. More people will see it that way and maybe more eyeballs will mean more ideas.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you please share some photos of Vlad? I'd love to feature this thread. More people will see it that way and maybe more eyeballs will mean more ideas.

He's tough to get a photo of. Here is the only one you can actually see him in. His eyes are much more open now. This was taken a few days ago. He looks like he's feeling MUCH better now.

Attachments

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maatawry,
I looked for your gofund me page but couldn't find it. I am not an expert at searching it though because I don't go on much. Is there a title or something I search for?

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try to get a better one when I get home. I'm staying home from date night tonight to be near him. But now my daughter gets a father daughter dinner!

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
gf.me/u/f95rgi

I don't really know what I'm doing. I feel super awkward even having one.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maatawry,
I looked for your gofund me page but couldn't find it. I am not an expert at searching it though because I don't go on much. Is there a title or something I search for?
Was that you??

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with incontinence in a cat that is still afraid? I read about diapers, but so far Vlad doesn't like to be touched and I'm worried about infection once his tail is amputated.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. It's super appreciated. If I can come up with the rest of the money myself, everything will be refunded. Had a step back yesterday as I got scratched again attempting to give him a treat.

He still doesn't come out of his tent. I know it's only been a week.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it in this thread or not, but a suggestion I've seen for ferals you can't touch is trying to pet them with something on a long handle, like a back scratcher or even a sock stuck to a stick. That way they learn that touching doesn't hurt them.

Also, have you tried leaving a piece of your clothing in the room with him, so he can get used to your scent.

Another suggestion I've seen is before you enter his room, say his name so he will learn to recognize your voice, followed by your appearance. And if you are bringing treats, ask him "do you want a treat?". Cats seem to learn the word "treat"
very quickly. :yummy:

I guess if he isn't coming out of his tent, there's no way to get more pictures. Hopefully soon. :crossfingers: :redheartpump: :hugs:

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now he is in a large dog crate in our room, so he is smelling me. I do call his name when I enter in a soft voice, I haven't tried using the word treat, but I will! And good tip with the back scratcher idea!!

Yea no picture opportunities yet :/ I'm working on it, lol.

Oh, on the note of him being in my room, I do have a spare room right now (won't be empty for ever hut it is for now) . Originally I was thinking he'd get used to me faster in my room, but maybe I should be taking a step back and just get him to feel a little more safe first. So should I maybe move his crate into the spare room and then spend time in his area rather than him spending time in mine?

Thoughts?

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh I'm such a ditz, I forgot the picture they took at the shelter! I don't know how they got it, honestly. It's a screen shot of the original listing, I couldn't find a way to save it from the post. He's really a handsome man, when you can actually see him.

He's still covered in poopie. I don't know if that will be a problem for his surgery but I just don't want him to keep seeing me as a threat so I haven't tried to wipe him down again.

This morning he popped his head out real quick to see me, that made me smile.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.