Recently Adopted Stray Cat From Kill List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Today I picked up a stray cat from a NY kill list. He's about six, and has had a rough life. His report states him as suffering from diarrhea. He has a great appetite and and appointment set up on Tuesday.

Here a the thing. Poor baby REAKS of poop.. REAKS. He was covered in it. So bad, in fact, we actually had to bathe the poor baby.

He's dried off now, and eating. But he still smells soooooo bad. The whole room smells. I don't dare try re-washing him right now, he's been thru a lot. But is there something I should now for later?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor thing. I wonder what the vet will have to say. And honestly, thank you for saving his life and getting him out of that place!

I think you shouldn’t do anything else until you get a diagnosis of what’s causing his diarrhea. In the meantime, though, it couldn’t hurt to pick up some kitty wipes, and maybe some puppy training pads, because it will likely be a few days (at least) til the diarrhea goes away. And be ready to sanitize your house in case it’s something potentially contagious. (Don’t panic, these things happen!).

Let us know how your cat is doing, ok? Please? Thank you and good luck!!!!

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the diarrhea is just from an inconsistent diet. Maybe a stomach bug that the vet can help with. If he let you bathe him than it sounds like a nice cat to work with. If he's a long haired cat then the smell may be harder to get out.

A shelter cat i adopted had really bad diarrhea when I first got her...it all went away when I got her on Merrick Limited Ingredient canned food. I've had her for 2 years now and if I give her a 'treat' of a different kind of food the diarrhea returns. So it could be something as simple as that. Chewy has the best prices on that (4 flavors) if you want give it a try. Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Chicken Pate Recipe Canned Cat Food, 5-oz, case of 24

For now though, wait till the vet appointment

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. Thank you so much for saving his life! What is his diet like now? Maybe try both dry and canned food. He could have some parasite like Giardia that the vet can treat. I know that one causes diarrhea.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are amazing! Thank you for saving him! Hopefully the vet will be able to prescribe something for his diarrhea. If you don't want to bathe him again, pet wipes might be useful to, at least, lessen the smell. I have a paralyzed kitten who need to be cleaned constantly. Pet wipes are truly a life saver for me to keep him smelling clean.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart for saving him! He's one lucky cat.

I think his coat will "air out" naturally now that he's bathed. If he isn't cleaning his rear end well because of the diarrhea, then just a wipe with tepid water on a paper towel to help clean his back end is all you should really need. Hopefully the vet will have a solution to get his poop back to normal.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While your waiting for the vet you might try a little boiled chicken cut up fine or ground with some canned pumpkin. Nothing that will hurt him but is very easy on the stomach until you can find the cause. As said above giardiasis is a possibility. I have also found several of my rescues have had diarrhea from an unknown source, maybe just poor diet and stress. Anyway try the diet above till the vet.

Thanks for rescuing the guy......they usually, with patience, make the greatest pets.... it’s like they know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! Truly, the many replies really warmed my heart and made me feel a lot less alone! He is terrified still. His diarrhea seems a little better. His appetite is fantastic. He is eating veterinary I/D food, both dry and wet. I had a lot left over as my last cat who passed also had digestion issues. I was able to talk to the vet who told me just to keep doing what I'm doing until the appointment on Tuesday.

He did get in a really good scratch to me, and I can't say I blame him at all. He looks as if he has a thousand reasons not to trust humans. Im going to assume he is feral, he certainly doesn't seem socialized. I'm hoping with a lot of time an patience hell at least be able to tolerate me and won't be so miserable. I welcome and and all advice, and I thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

Ps, after the good neck clawing he got in on me, we've started calling him Vlad (The impaler)

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are doing such a wonderful kindness for Vlad! I'm sure his diarrhea issue will become worked out with a great vet and going down the checklist of possible causes. I'm a poopy-cat mommy and I can testify that better days are ahead!

My girl Jinxy Bean had a thing when she was ill where she shot her coco-slurry off the edge of the cat pan, so that most of it runs onto the floor below. I think it's her way of saying she's trying to be good but would rather not soil her perfectly clean litter pan. *dies* Thanks, cat!! Lowes sells rolls of 18" painter's paper that I would layer in front of the pan edge to catch her messes. It's a lot cheaper than pads because I was cleaning up her messes 4+ times per day.

Now that she's stabilized her poops are normalish and I no longer need paper in front of the pans. Yay!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And thank you for, literally, saving Vlad's life. :catrub:

Hopefully once he gets vetted you'll have a better plan of action. Has he been neutered?

There's a lot of various articles on the site about cat care. Here's one that might help out with your most pressing problem: Be Kind To Your Cats' Behinds! Dirty Cat Butts Prevention And Treatment

If he's really feral, here's an article on handling ferals: Handling Feral Cats
All the articles are sorted by subject here: Articles | TheCatSite

Plus there's a whole forum on Caring for Strays and Ferals

Is the vet you're taking Vlad to connected to the shelter? If not, I've seen it mentioned before to ensure everyone there knows he's a unsocialized feral. That is, of course, if you think he really is a feral.

And make sure you keep an eye on any scratches/bites until he gets dewormed and all his shots. Unless the shelter took care of that, though since he was on death row, I doubt that was a priority. :sigh:

Good luck. :crossfingers:

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's her way of saying she's trying to be good but would rather not soil her perfectly clean litter pan. *dies* Thanks, cat!! Lowes sells rolls of 18" painter's paper that I would layer in front of the pan edge to catch her messes.
* I bought one of those plastic roll mats for under office chairs ($10 Walmart). I cut it into lengths that created an undermat and a 'backsplash' at the same time. Keep it all on one surface for easier clean up.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, the vet is local in Massachusetts, Vladimir came from a NYC shelter. My husband and I did just get tetnus boosters, and he was given a rabies vaccine but I don't think he was dewormed. I am taking his stool in to be tested.

The paperwork states he is not socialized, and he clearly is terrified of humans, and shows no desire to interact. Of course thus is only day three, but I'm naturally worried he'll never be okay as indoor cat. I'll cross that line when I get to it. I have other animals in the house so for now he's in a dog crate in my room.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And no he hasn't been neutered yet.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay he was dewormed. Here is the report from the shelter for anyone interested. I did note the fiv test was inconclusive. Also, this cat is not underweight as far as I can tell. He seems average, but the vet will tell me more. I'll keep you posted.

TO BE KILLED 01/12/2018
MONTANA 17881 MANHATTAN ACC
Estimated to be 6 years old, 10.5 Lbs
DOMESTIC SHORTHAIR mix, BLACK/WHITE, INTACT MALE
STRAY FROM NY 10030
INTAKE 01/08/2018
BEHAVIOR RATING: EXPERIENCE, ADULT ONLY

PET PROFILE
Hello, my name is Montana. My animal id is #17881. I am a male black cat at the Manhattan Animal Care Center. The shelter thinks I am about 6 years old. – P
I came into the shelter as a stray on 08-Jan-2018.

AT RISK MEMO
Montana is at risk for behavioral concerns, he is severely depressed and withdrawn in the shelter, and whilst he will accept a brief touch on the head, he slowly increases distance, and shows no interest in interaction. Medically, Montana was dehydrated on admission to the shelter. He still has some residual diahorrea and is underweight.

ASSESSMENT NOTES
Upon intake, Montana was calm and quiet inside carrier. When trying to transfer Montana from one carrier to another Montana got loose inside admissions. Counselor and officer were able to use a towel to catch Montana and put inside carrier. Was unable to collar and take picture due to Montana trying to flee.
KNOWN HISTORY:: Montana was brought in as a stray, so we don’t have any behavioral history or tendencies in a home environment.
MEDICAL BEHAVIOR:: 1/8/18 Subjective: Alert, at back of kennel
ENRICHMENT NOTES:: 1/9/18 Severe stomach upset, seems rundown. Crouched on cat bed, eyes dilated, tense, very wary. Stood and started to move away when door opened, then paused. Tolerated a few brief pets, then fled to other kennel. 1/10/18 Crouched in litter box, head down, eyes dilated. Lay in place when door opened, leaned forward slightly to sniff treats, didn’t eat. Tolerated pets, shifted slightly in place, no other response.
Cage Condition:: No change
Reaction to assessor:: Montana remains tense, crouched position with head down in his litter box at the back of the cage.
Reaction when softly spoken to:: Montana becomes alert with an intense stare.
Reaction to cage door opening:: Montana body stiffens, ears erect and forward.
Reaction to touch:: Montana accepts a brief touch on the head, but slowly increases distance and shows no interest with the interaction.
ACTIVITY LEVEL:: Laid back
VOCAL:: Quiet
CHARACTER TYPE: : Skittish,Independent
BEHAVIOR DETERMINATION: : Experienced, adult only
Behavior Asilomar: TM – Treatable-Manageable
BEHAVIOR SUMMARY:: Montana tolerates attention and petting but may be fearful or stressed in the shelter, and may be intimidated by small children. He may be a little more independent, and may need time to warm up to his new home. Due to the behaviors seen in the care center, we feel that this cat will do best in an experienced, adult only home who understands this cat may need time to warm up to his new home and family at his own pace.

MEDICAL EXAM NOTES
8/01/2018
[Spay/Neuter Waiver – Medical Condition] Your newly adopted pet has been diagnosed with diarrhea and being underweight and the staff veterinarians are issuing a temporary waiver from the spay/neuter requirements of the City of NY. Follow up care at your regular veterinarian is recommended to ensure continued treatment. Your veterinarian will advise you if surgical sterilization is appropriate.
8/01/2018
DVM Intake Exam Estimated age: 3-8 years based on secondary sex characteristics and overall impression Microchip noted on Intake? MC scanned negative – MC not placed due to pt being underweight, dehydrated and covered in feces History : Stray, covered in diarrhea with possible rectal prolapse and blood in stool. Escaped in the admissions room and ran all around the room. Subjective: Alert, at back of kennel Observed Behavior – Looking for escape route – bolts, tries to escape. Once pt was successfully covered with a towel, he was very tense and stiff, but he did allow most handling. Did not try to auscult pt. Objective BAR, estimated 8% dehydrated, BCS 3/9 with muscle wasting EENT: Severe debris AU – appears to be a mixture of dirt/feces and black granular debris. Eyes clear, no nasal or ocular discharge noted. Oral Exam: Unable to examine PLN: Unable to examine H/L: Eupnic, unable to auscult ABD: Tense, not distended, no masses palpated U/G: Male intact, testicles S/S MSI: Ventrum, tail and legs are soaked in brown watery feces. Alopecia and severe erythema to hocks and distal leg, and scrotum. Paw pads are raw. Ambulatory x 4, no masses noted. CNS: Mentation appropriate – no signs of neurologic abnormalities Rectal: No current rectal prolapse – normal externally Parvo snap test (performed twice) – negative Assessment: 1. Underweight, severe diarrhea – R/O GI parasites, viral or bacterial enterocolitis, IBD, other 2. Possible ear mites Prognosis: Fair Plan: 1. Dewormed with ponazuril and pyrantel during exam 2. Administered praziquantel 0.5 ml SQ during exam 3. Administered ivermectin 0.1 ml SQ during exam – repeat in 10 days 4. Administered 200 ml LRS SQ during exam 5. Fortiflora 6. Metronidazole 50 mg/ml 0.7 ml PO BID x10 days SURGERY: Temporary waiver due to diarrhea and being underweight 1088
10/01/2018
Hx severe diarrhea – yesterday and it was reported this morning. Good appetite. Clean litterbox. S: At back of kennel, runs away (through portal) when I approach O: Alert, moves easily No ocular or nasal discharge, no sneezing or coughing Eupnic Amb x4 A: Diarrhea P: CWCT 1088
10/01/2018
Dehydrated, severe bloody diarrhea on intake; panleukopenia negative on intake; started on metronidazole and fortiflora S/O -QAR, unsocialized, hisses when approached -great appetite, no vomiting noted -several small episodes of liquid diarrhea with slightly formed stool and small amount of frank blood -no nasal discharge or sneezing -OU: mild blepharospasm, may be behavioral -appears eupnic A 1. Diarrhea P -CWCT -CTM appetite, hydration, diarrhea

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That report made me cry...sorry but it is so sad. No wonder the poor baby is the way he is...reads like he has had few breaks in his few years of life.

Prayers for all of you that successes will continue. In site of all of the above I’ll bet in his quiet cat time he’s saying WOW! And thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That report made me cry too. Especially that first line. At least they don't sugar-coat the reality of what would happen to him. How depressing it must be to work in that environment. :sniffle:

Thank you again for saving him. He does sound like a true feral, especially the "Vocal: quiet" part. I've read that true ferals don't meow, as they don't need sound to communicate with other cats. It's all by looks and body movements.

I'm sure it will take a lot of time and patience to socialize him. There are a lot of folks on this forum who trap and socialize ferals. They may not have seen your thread, so I am going to tag a few: @di and bob @bigbadbass @shadowsrescue @jcat

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tags. He's older, so we are well beyond the kitten stage which is all I'm finding for feral cats.

His vet appointment went alright. His tail is paralyzed, an xray and probably amputation was recommended. Dr thinks maybe his tail was run over. Waiting on the analysis of the stool sample.

Otherwise nothing obvious wrong.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vladimir must have chosen you for this time and task. You seem, on paper at least, to be taken this in stride. He knew who to choose, didn’t he?

Maybe this snow, 30 mph gusts, no sun, 20 degree temps and looking at my 7 heathy babies laying in front of the fire has made me melancholy?

Anyway looking for good things from this guy! Thanks for the vet update, I was wondering.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I am taking it in stride, I'm panicking on the inside, lol. I adopted him sight unseen, so I was prepared for the worst, hopeful for the best. All I can do now is move forward with the info I have, and try to make his life better than it must have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.