Recently Adopted Stray Cat From Kill List

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, Vlad is a handsome boy. But looks so sad. Poor baby, can only imagine what he went through while out on the streets. :sigh:

Can't really advise about moving him, though if he seems terribly stressed where he is, I suppose it couldn't hurt. His popping his head out to see you sounds promising, so maybe he's getting more comfortable around you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was dewormed at the shelter. And given a rabies vaccine. The stool sample from the vet last week came back clean of worms and parasites.

Anyone else have any opinion about moving him to his own area? I'm leaning towards it but looking for experienced input.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, also, his diarrhea has subsided! His poop is super stinky, I'm not sure if that's the diet change or not. He also doesn't appear to be incontinent, although I have read it's possible to happen after amputation.

He uses his litter box like a champ, I must say.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am following this thread with love, and admiration. I am in awe of you for taking Vlad in,, and helping him.. ((hugs)):heartshape: :rock:

However, I would seriously watch all scratches, bites YOU get. These things can get infected very easily. I know. I had to go to the hospital with an infection from a bite.
Be careful.. :sunshine:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would move him to the spare room and let him out of the crate if you can. My two former ferals have never been in their carrier for more than an hour. I always used rooms.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am following this thread with love, and admiration. I am in awe of you for taking Vlad in,, and helping him.. ((hugs)):heartshape: :rock:

However, I would seriously watch all scratches, bites YOU get. These things can get infected very easily. I know. I had to go to the hospital with an infection from a bite.
Be careful.. :sunshine:
Thanks for the concern! I'm very aware of the scratches and bites and the possibility of infection/disease. I come from a medical family so I'm vigilant about those sorts of things. Everything looks great, the original neck scratch (which BTW looked like two gang bite marks XD) is completely healed, and the new scratch is clean and without inflammation, pain, or heat.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fang, not gang LOL

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would move him to the spare room and let him out of the crate if you can. My two former ferals have never been in their carrier for more than an hour. I always used rooms.

Oooh, okay! I kept him in there for his safety. Especially once he gets his surgery. But I'll relocate him and open the crate for him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be sure the room is completely cat proofed. You don't want him hiding under the bed or under/behind large furniture. You need him to be out in the open or socialization will be very difficult. He will be happier in the larger space, but watch out for him doing nothing but hiding.

Also once he is neutered you might find that he is more social and happier.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! That room has a loft bed, so not any place to really hide, lol.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
gf.me/u/f95rgi

I don't really know what I'm doing. I feel super awkward even having one.
M Maatawry , I donated to your gofundme today. Mentioning it here so others may be inspired to as well.
gf.me/u/f95rgi
One of my rescue friends puts it this way: if a bunch of people skipped their drive through coffee and donated instead, think what a difference it would make. I never say this, but it takes a village sometimes. Best of luck.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M Maatawry , I donated to your gofundme today. Mentioning it here so others may be inspired to as well.
gf.me/u/f95rgi
One of my rescue friends puts it this way: if a bunch of people skipped their drive through coffee and donated instead, think what a difference it would make. I never say this, but it takes a village sometimes. Best of luck.
Thank you! It means a lot to me. And Vlad too ❤

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, Vlad is moved into the spare room, and loose. The initial move was pretty chaotic, so I'm leaving him alone. Poor baby, I feel like ever since I've gotten him all I've done is stressed him out. On a weird note, while crouching in a corner and hiding, he let me pet his head without hissing or growling. Hopefully not just because he was backed into a corner...

I did get a really good look at him for the first time. Even at the vet, he had to be covered with a towel for most of the exam.

He's so handsome, guys. And I forgot my phone to take a pic lol. I'll get one tomorrow! But his poor Paes are so raw, skin is peeling off. I just got so mad looking at him because of what I rough life he must have had. I was looking at him and all I could think was "yea, I'd have scratched the hell out of me, too." I don't know if he's ever known human kindness, and that just breaks my heart.

I think he does like the extra room, so thanks for everyone's help.

I was just telling my husband I don't know how I'd be able to do any of this without your guys emotional support. Not that he isn't supportive, obviously, but he's as in the dark about ferals as I am.

Going thru all the estimates tomorrow, I gathered about 15. I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks again for everything.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember the first feral boy I brought inside. His paw pads were raw and black and peeling too. I was so sad. It took time, but the paw pads healed and softened. My kitty is orange and when I brought him inside, his pad were black, peeling, cracked and raw. He had been through so much. After a few months, his paw pads began to heal. They are now so soft and pink!! Just time, warmth, love and good food will heal the feet.

So glad he has some space and how exciting you got a few pets. Just baby steps.

Going through this is one of the most exciting, scary, wonderful, sad, happy and frustrating experiences. The 3 I brought inside 4 weeks ago are at varying levels. I just take things day by day.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I got caught up at work and didn't have time to get together all the estimates, but I went in to feed Vlad and noticed he hadn't eaten all day. Even the first night we had him he ate.

I moved the food closer to him but he seems to be hunkered down and trying to hide. I did just move him so I'm thinking he may be stressed. I wanted to sit with him but I think he needs to be alone

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure he has access to dry food that is fresh all the time. He may be upset about his new surroundings and freaking out a bit. Give him some time, but be sure for now that he has food 24/7.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don’t be worried if he goes a day without eating...it’s the prolonged absence of eating you need to worry about. Have you found anything he really really likes? I use Temptations, usually a fish type flavor. Now some of my 7 rescues ignore them but to most it’s like kitty crack! High calorie and probably not great nutrition but if they like it you are a friend for life.
I have two that petting, rubbing and all that is strictly on their terms, Some days they love me others not so much.
My point is I think your making great progress considering his history and you do have to very much consider that. So instead of saying wow, yesterday he let me do this and today he won’t you should really say when I first got him he....and now he lets me do...
And you’re really making a little guy who’s have some rough breaks realize love for the first time....patience and he will return it

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate today. im wondering if he is drinking water though as i havent really noticed any urine in his pan. I feed him wet and dry just in case.

He eats these freeze dried salmon treats i picked up at Petco the other day, but he wont eat it when Im there. I do have temptations but I havent noticed him eating them. today I sat with him after i gave him food and watched some tv on my laptop but he didnt come out of his box to eat. he doesnt sit at the very back of his box, though. He sits a little more toward the opening, which im taking as a minor win. After an hour, I left so he could eat. I didnt want him to be just be hungry because i was there.

Im not expecting any miracles, if he can get to the point where he isnt afraid to be in the same room as me, thats a welcome goal.

Its about him, after all, not me.

My current vet is reviewing the estimates I received to see if they can do anything to bring down their original estimate of 983-1100.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Maatawry! Thanks for the updates. I have had a couple of minor wins with Aimee too. She's graduated from not always hiding under the radiator to sitting on a fuzzy blanket on a chair, out in the open. We're not in the room, but I see her jump down when I come in. Hubs works in his office (Aimee's room) most of the day, and he saw her slink out and go into the bathroom to eat her kibble snack. Minor improvements but I am hopeful.
Let us know how the estimate adjustments go.

Status
Not open for further replies.