Recently Adopted Stray Cat From Kill List

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you put a post on the SOS page and say you're looking for a barn cat rescue in Western MA?
I'm so sorry you're going through this. =( Poor Vlad too.
Poor Vlad way more than poor me. I just feel awful I am not helping enough.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG.. I am not even thinking of suggesting a kill center!! OMG.. I was thinking of calling them to find options for barn cats...

OMG.. so sorry..

You have and are doing wonderful, humane, kind, thing.. you are an Angel, :angel::angel3:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted on him.

I’ve been in your position. Gut wrenching decisions are never easy. I think back to when you first posted his chart from the shelter.....still praying that he gets a break with a forever home.

Thanks for trying, maybe someone will come riding in on a white horse and rescue the poor guy.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone, I have someone working to find him a home. he works for a few no kill organization in boston, which is about 2 hours from me. hes found a few leads but I still need to get him vetted before anything can happen. Im waiting to call back the humane society out here about maybe getting a break on operation prices. my voice is gone right now due to strep, so I cant call anyone at the moment.

He seems to be getting more aggressive with me. i took him treats, as i do everyday, and he lunged out of his carrier at me. Its terrible that he is still so afraid of me.

once i have more solid updates, you guys will be the first to know. thanks everyone <3

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope you feel better soon. :alright:
Poor Vlad is probably not so much afraid of you, just unhappy. Also fingers crossed you find somewhere for him. :crossfingers:

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I have an unfortunate update. He went in for another exam today, he doesn't appear to have much anal tone, and the Dr. Believe he isn't able to express his own bladder. Because of this, a barn cat program isn't an option.

Due to him being aggresive, and his dislike of being touched, he doesn't feel it would be feasible for us to manually express him 3 times a day.

We were send home and told to closely monitor his urination habits, but it was his opinion that euthanasia is likely the most humane option.

I'm HEARTBROKEN. I've basically extended his death sentence a month and made miserable and stressed out while I had him examed, tested, prodded, and in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people.

I'll know more in a few days.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! At least you tried to help the poor baby. I had a feeling from the photo that he was really sick, but I was hoping they could do something to help him. Please keep us updated and maybe a miracle will happen. If not, thank you for trying. :redheartpump:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not beat yourself up over this. You tried.. You tried to save Vlad.. You showed him some love; even though he may not completely understand it.
Vlad was in a HOME.. a loving environment, where he felt warmth, both physically and emotionally. You have given him so much..

And you tried so hard to help him.. I have to say this: I applaud you-- for all the love, the time involved, the blood loss, etc..

Do not have any regrets at all. You gave Vlad the ultimate chance at a normal life..
I thank You... ((hugs))

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sending you blessings your way, maybe give him the best of the best in food
and love and treats, make him comfortable, I am learning with my Feral that just because they
are shy and afraid doesn't mean they don't like you or are unhappy.
You prolly made the last month/his last days way better than the way he was headed.
look forward to hearing from you soon

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second what Walli, artiesmom, and so many others have said. Bless you for trying to save this sweet boy. I'm sure he knows you are trying to help him and that he is loved. Thinking of you all.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I'm giving him as much food as he wants, as many treats as he'd like. He is still angry with me for having to chase him down to take him to the last vet visit. He is back to growling st me whenever I enter the room. Serves me right, I suppose.

Maybe this is crazy, but would it be more humane to get him fixed and amputated, hold him inside warm for winter, and then release him? He'd be free to roam, choosing how and where he wished to go. Or is that more cruel that ending his life with euthenisia? I honestly don't know. He'd be in a strange place, still, perhaps a risk to others, likely in pain...

I don't know guys. Just give me what you think. I'm so utterly heartbroken. This baby hates me so much, he's so miserable. The idea of having to force him into his carrier to take him to his death, that THAT will be his last memory... I don't know.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will he be able to go to the litterbox on his own after the amputation? He looks so sick in the photo. Will the operation help him?

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will he be able to go to the litterbox on his own after the amputation? He looks so sick in the photo. Will the operation help him?
The amputation won't help with his incontinence. That's a done deal, likely as a result of the nerve damage from the tail injury which goes all the way up. The amputations only purpose is for hygeine, which is doubly important with an incontinent bladder.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he can empty his bladder without assistance, he can go feral in your neighborhood or be a farm cat, whichever one works best. If he can't, it would be kinder to have him put down, as a distended bladder is VERY painful.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, he can't. He just dribbles, probably because his bladder is so full :( I'm really trying to avoid putting him down as I know just taking him in will be stressful and scary. I don't want his last moments to be surrounded by people he doesn't trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.