Recently Adopted Stray Cat From Kill List

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry you have to make this difficult decision, especially when your intentions were only to save the life of a generally healthy cat that unfortunately ended up in a kill shelter.

If it's determined Vlad wouldn't be able to live a decent life outside as a feral, and that it will be kinder to euthanize, would you be able to get a vet to come to your house to do it. At least that way Vlad wouldn't have the stress of being forced into his carrier and driven to the vet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's dribbling, then it is exiting his bladder at least. Some cats can't go at all without being expressed. Do you mean that he only dribbles when his bladder is very full and that's the "overflow"? Or does he just not have control and it comes out whenever?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since we are not there with you,except in spirit, only you know what feels right to do for the little guy.
However I will tell you that in my long life I have had to have many of my babies euthanized for various reasons which I won’t dwell on. I have almost always been present when it’s done and ,if done correctly, it’s like they just close their eyes.
I don’t mean to minimize the taking of any life but please don’t envision it as an awful action. They just go to sleep, as it were. Just if you do decide please make sure the vet gives a sedative shot first.

Sorry you have to go through this but in the long run you must consider what’s best for his quality of life and not your feelings.Thats what love does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone,

After putting it off, I've made a final appointment for Vlad on Saturday. The last few days he has been lunging in addition to hissing at me as I try to feed him. I haven't been able to spend time with him lately ashe seems increasingly disturbed by my presence.

I feel this is because he is in increasing pain and he wants to be left alone. I've weighed all the options for the last week. Ultimately, this is the least painful option for him.

I am so grateful for all of you, and ultimately, I'll never not feel awful for this.

I'm releasing the donations made. again, thank you all for reaching out to help in all ways, emotionally, monetarily, and educationally.

You have all helped me more than you'll ever know.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry. I know how very difficult this must be. My thoughts are with you during this very difficult time. You were an angel to Vlad. He knew love from you. Thank you so much for all you have done.

We are all here for you.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've been such a trooper! I'm a Believer that we may see our pets again.
Vlad will thank you! He'll be playing ball with my Tigger and Patch!
Give him kisses while he is on his way to heaven! It would be great if they can
sedate him first so you can show him the love you have for him.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you. i will most definitely make sure he is sedated first. I will also be feeding him steak, as a vegetarian it'll be the first time ive purchased meat in a while. but he deserves it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry Vlad's story couldn't have a happy ending. But for a short while, he was warm, well-fed and loved.
I'm also a vegetarian, so I know it's a big deal buying, and handling, meat. Thanks for all you did for him.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry....been through it....but please take consolation knowing it was done with love.

But he’s no longer scared, in pain and all the other bad things.

Sometimes it is the greatest gift you can give to babies you love.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His appointment is this morning. Last night and this morning he ate steak and salmon, AND all his cat food. His appetite is still voracious, and maybe I'm just looking for reasons to rationalize to myself he's okay.

We spoke with the doctor about sedation first, so we could just pet him for a moment.

Thanks everyone.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
(((hugs)))) love.. :hugs:

Please try to keep in mind, how much you tried~~ You tried to rescue him.. You Showed him love.. You willingly, lovingly gave all you could of yourself, and more.
You provided him with a nice, warm, loving home.. If it came across that he did not appreciate it/realize it; then you are wrong. Vlad was not out in the open, facing the outdoor hazards.

Vlad just had too many medical issues to overcome. He could not show you the love in his heart because he of the constant pain.. I am sure he realized it.. but could not return it...

Vlad had a awesome last night, at home.. full of really good food..
You did the best you could..

I am totally in awe of you, and what you have done; however, it was not meant to be..
Perhaps, it WAS meant to be that you take Vlad in, and show him love, for his last days on earth..

Now he is no longer in pain, no longer dirty, no longer fearful.. he is at peace..
And you should be also..
You moved Heaven and Earth for Vlad.. There is a special place in the afterlife for you..
Vlad will be there waiting for you.. a much different Vlad.. a loving one..

((hugs))

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, for everything.

He was sedated, and I was able to pet and kiss him for the first and last time. We spent time with him before we called the doctor back in.

The doctor noted he was covered in battle scars as he shaved his leg. A true NYC king. I had no idea how large he was until I could get that good look at him.

True scrapper, he never closed his eyes.

I wiped him down and dotted his paws with rose and Jasmine oil. His fur was stained yellow from urine.

He was buried under our thorn bush, it only seemed appropriate. I hope he is at peace.

Love you all, your words have been a saving grace for me over this last month.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RIP sweet Vlad. :angel: You were loved, and won't be forgotten. :redheartpump:

M Maatawry thank you for showing Vlad love and compassion during his last month. I'm so sorry things didn't work out. And I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you, as reading these posts have brought tears to my eyes more than once.

You have a huge heart, and I know it needs time to heal, but I hope sometime in the future you'll find another cat that needs someone like you. :hugs:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
May you rest in peace sweet boy Vlad. You had a wonderful Mama who did all she could for you. You were loved and are now at peace running pain free in the wide open fields.

M Maatawry you are in my thoughts. I know this was so very hard.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest In Peace, dear boy. Bless your mommy and daddy for loving you and giving you a chance you wouldn't have otherwise had. Sending love and prayers. Fly free. Xoxo

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So how are you doing? Sometimes it helps when you have to go through what you have to talk about it. Or just things in general. Just got to re-reading your thread and thought of you.

Remember time is a great healer of all things.

Maatawry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking in ❤. I've just been pushing thru. I'm naturally questioning my decision. Even a year later, I still question my choice to put down my Boris after his second kidney failure. So im sure ill always feel guilty.

It snowed that night after burying him, which has always been a good sign for my husband and I. Almost a "it'll be okay". But i still find myself wanting to go and say hi to him. I imagine all these feelings will stick around for a while.

Its hard to realize everything happened over just a month. It felt like so much longer.

I havent brought myself to clean up his room.

one day at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.